Royce Clayton

Jim Fainter

The Rangers signed Clayton to that contract. When it had two more years to run, the Rangers signed A-Rod, so they didn't need Clayton, and they put him on the trading block. KW obliged them, did them a big time favor, by taking Clayton and his contract off their hands. The Rangers had no leverage, and KW just aimed to please. I never understood that trade, notwithstanding Clayton's defensive abilities. The economics of the trade made no sense to the Sox. It's like we paid 20 % of A-Rods salary for two years.

The Rangers signed Clayton to that contract.  When it had two more years to run, the Rangers signed A-Rod, so they didn't need Clayton, and they put him on the trading block.  KW obliged them, did them a big time favor, by taking Clayton and his contract off their hands.  The Rangers had no leverage, and KW just aimed to please.  I never understood that trade, notwithstanding Clayton's defensive abilities.  The economics of the trade made no sense to the Sox.  It's like we paid 20 % of A-Rods salary for two years.

bingo and clayton is a prick

so where is all the kw backers on this worst ever trade.

i dont care how good his defense is when he can barely even keep his average above .200..royce clayton is prolly the worst short stop the sox have ever had.

You are wrong, Mike Caruso can have that title.

Or Bee Bee Richard or Harry Chappas.

Those were the two worst SS I ever saw in a Sox uniform.

That being said, the Clayton deal was a disaster, and there's no defending it in my opinion.

The bigger problem was and is ... the White Sox's inability as an organization to draft and develop a SS.

Maybe this kid Valido will be the answer. It looks like Andy Gonzalez has a case of Jason Dellaero ... can't hit a lick.

I don't understand why, for such a key position, you wouldn't spend a high draft choice every year, i.e. rounds 1-5, on the best SS you can find. Even if you get lucky and more than one pan out, they can always be packaged in a trade.

The Sox picked Dellaero high in '97 and the next high draft choice was Mike Morse, 3rd round 2000 I think. Morse is struggling with the bat too.

Maybe Gonzalez and Morse will turn it around with the stick, but they've got to add some depth at SS and they've also got to identify a long-term solution ... maybe as soon as this season is over.

i dont care how good his defense is when he can barely even keep his average above .200..royce clayton is prolly the worst short stop the sox have ever had.

bulls***.

Royce is not prolly the worst ss we ever had

you never saw Luis Alvarado or Bee Bee Richard play

Royce is not prolly the worst ss we ever had

He still sucks though :bang

we'll never agree on that :lol:

but think about it - you need Royce Clayton to have been a Sox - for the rest fo your life you have something to really b**** about - just like I do with Luis Alvarado and Bee Bee Richard -

in the proud tradition of Luke Appling and Luis Aparicio: Luis Alvarado and Bee Bee Richard and _____________ [fill in the blank]

in retrospect, the Royce Clayton tenure did not promote anything good

1.Wow, Bee Bee Richard, that's going back a long way. 

2. Didn't he play for us like 30 years ago?

1. it is not that long to me -

2. I was in college then - it is like yesterday to me, child! ;)

someday you'll be my age - and some youngin' will discuss your memories as being "really long ago" :lol: :lol: :lol: