Iran Shuts Out GMail

HuskyCaucasian

Iran Shuts Down Gmail, Announces National E-Mail Service

Iran's telecommunications agency announced what it described as a permanent suspension of Google's e-mail services Wednesday, saying instead that a national e-mail service for Iranian citizens would soon be rolled out. It wasn't clear what effect the order had on Google's e-mail services in Iran.

Google didn't have an immediate comment about the announcement, which comes as Iranian authorities deployed in force across Tehran Wednesday to conduct last-minute security sweeps and warn residents to refrain from joining antigovernment protests planned for Thursday -- the anniversary of the Islamic revolution.

Police have confiscated satellite dishes from residential roof tops, according to opposition Web sites. Some pedestrians have been quoted on opposition Web sites saying that their mobile phones were searched and, in some cases, taken by police patrolling areas of the capital where protests have erupted in the past. Iranians have also reported widespread service disruptions of text messaging services, though mobile phones appeared to be operating normally Wednesday.

Iranian authorities tasked with upholding Islamic values have also been scouring the streets, harassing people wearing green, the trademark color of the opposition, according to witness accounts posted on opposition Web sites.

The government typically orchestrates large, carnival-like rallies and demonstrations to mark the anniversary of the Islamic Republic. For this year's events on Feb. 11, the day marking the culmination of the annual celebrations, opposition leaders have called for protesters to demonstrate against the regime. That has set the stage for clashes between authorities and demonstrators, who have taken to the streets repeatedly to protest the outcome of presidential elections in June.

Government officials, meanwhile, ratcheted up threats against any protests Thursday, vowing to confront demonstrators on the streets and calling for government supporters to turn out in large numbers. Iranian officials have branded protesters as agents of foreign powers.

The Wall Street Journal contributed to this report.

Iran To Permanently Shut Down Google Gmail

Iran says it will permanently suspend Google's (GOOG) email product within its borders, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Iran's telecom agency says it will provide citizens a national email service.

The WSJ reports, "An Iranian official said the measure was meant to boost local development of Internet technology and to build trust between people and the government."

Tomorrow is the 31st anniversary of Iran's Islamic Republic. Pro- and anti-government Demonstrations are expected.

In January, Google announced it had been attacked by Chinese hackers. The company threatened to quit the country for good. Earlier this week, we reported that Google is already investing in the country again.

"My what big e-mail servers you have..."

"All the better to spy on you with"

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

internet has apparently slow to terrible for a week there. I don't know if videos/tweets will get out like they have on previous days, but I'll start a thread soon for all the developments. A lot of brave YOUNG people are putting their lives at risk for the hope that the future generations have a democratic Iran (And I think as a secular democracy, Iran would be the most effective and vibrant in the ME)

BUt tomorrow will also show whether brutal oppression will win out the way it did in China. I don't believe the hangings did anything to really deter the green movement, but pro-gov't militias will be doing very devious s*** tomorrow.

I have to wonder what Mousavi will do tomorrow. With his nephew being killed, if he continues to try and not be too much of an agitator, or if he really stands up tomorrow.

This is just another step in a long process, but I hope this is the beginning of bringing the tyrants to their knees, and not the beginning of another example of how to crush insurrection.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
internet has apparently slow to terrible for a week there. I don't know if videos/tweets will get out like they have on previous days, but I'll start a thread soon for all the developments. A lot of brave YOUNG people are putting their lives at risk for the hope that the future generations have a democratic Iran (And I think as a secular democracy, Iran would be the most effective and vibrant in the ME)

BUt tomorrow will also show whether brutal oppression will win out the way it did in China. I don't believe the hangings did anything to really deter the green movement, but pro-gov't militias will be doing very devious s*** tomorrow.

I have to wonder what Mousavi will do tomorrow. With his nephew being killed, if he continues to try and not be too much of an agitator, or if he really stands up tomorrow.

This is just another step in a long process, but I hope this is the beginning of bringing the tyrants to their knees, and not the beginning of another example of how to crush insurrection.

I think on that point we can all agree.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)

In order for this to really happen, the military has to lose belief in the clerics. Has there been any signs of that actually happening? Its either that or someone like the CIA has to give massive amounts of support to very specific people in Iran, and I just can't see that happening right now.

The thing about Mousavi is that he is actually one of the people who was there from the beginning, when people still believed in what Iran likes to think it is today. For the Iranian regime to arrest him is almost like arresting Thomas Jefferson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
In order for this to really happen, the military has to lose belief in the clerics. Has there been any signs of that actually happening? Its either that or someone like the CIA has to give massive amounts of support to very specific people in Iran, and I just can't see that happening right now.

The point is not will there be a coup de tat tomorrow

The point is will there still be huge protests despite the major crackdown that is occurring. And if high death tolls accumulate of civilians, and people STILL in the coming months proceed with this movement, then we'll see.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
Google's the only major website that kowtows to oppressive regimes. They brutally filter their search engines to censor material for China.

Um, isn't that 100% untrue? Don't all of the major internet companies have to accept filters to get into China? Microsoft, Yahoo? The only reason you've heard about it for Google is that they're so big and they have that motto "Don't be evil", whereas Microsoft's motto is a recording of an evil laugh by Bill Gates that plays on speaker in their facilities every 10 minutes.

(Side note, yes, I googled those sources)

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
I'm saying that originally they kowtowed.

and Google only left China because they have been getting hacked by China. It wasn't because of any type of moral objection.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)

Although it's hard to figure out what press reports are reliable, I think every indication today is that the security forces and the military are strongly standing by the government.

the basiji will not turn on the government they are just a bunch of thugs.

Today was a major blow. I think this is the last gasp and it wasn't a big one. Reports are that Mousavi's wife was beaten up. And the complete control of buses and security forces beating the crowd with chains was enough to do it in. Hundreds arrested, only. The already small odds are likely miniscule now.

Irannewsnow has been pretty great. And they are more optimistic than I would imagine. Here is them countering the NIAC:

How can one say that “the government of Iran managed to keep opposition activities largly on their terms today”?

Under what basis? Hasn’t the fact that the Opposition has used non-violent protests for 8 months to counter the regime’s lies and brutality, to the point that the regime cannot stop the protests, cannot prevent the videos from being broadcast instantaneously to the world, and now has had to seemingly calibrate its brutality to the point that it is starting to try to reduce casualties, actually shown that it is the Greens that have the regime on their terms?

Think about it. The protests took place, thousands entered the streets and chanted against the regime with slogans like “Referendum! Referendum!” and “Free Political Prisoners!”, they confronted and faced the regime forces–and this time, the regime had to use so much more security presence than on past protest days–and they suffered far less casualties than on Ashura and many other bloody protest days. This means that the regime cannot stifle the voices of the people. It is being heard loud and clear, both inside Iran–even on official government channels to the behest of the regime–and outside Iran, to the world. This means the regime simply can’t stop this cycle of protests against them. They will continue to get weaker, more cracks will form in their islamo-mafioso social structures, more of their money has to get spent on paying for their vast security apparatuses, more pressure will be applied via sanctions targeting the IRGC, or the threat thereof and more Iranians, from more cities, towns and villages add their voices to the calls for freedoom and justice.

http://www.irannewsnow.com/2010/02/live-blog-22-bahman/

Edited by bmags