Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
No. You're just weird.

I don't understand why its weird that I like team Canada hockey..

I wasn't cheering for Canadians against USA in anything else, its just hockey.. and its not like I stood for the Canadian national anthem or anything at the medal presentation.. not everyone is all die hard USA

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
I don't understand why its weird that I like team Canada hockey..

I wasn't cheering for Canadians against USA in anything else, its just hockey.. and its not like I stood for the Canadian national anthem or anything at the medal presentation.. not everyone is all die hard USA

And I don't understand why you do like Team Canada.

But you live in the US, and cheer for another country to win. That, is weird.

Not saying you're disallowed to cheer for Team Canada.

Just that you're weird.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)

Just that you're weird.

I already said earlier why I liked team Canada, most of my favorite NHL players have played for Canada so I have always followed them and wanted them to win.. I get what you are saying about living in the US and cheering for Canada, but this is just a hockey game to me im not looking at it like country vs country.. I like the players, im not looking to move to Canada..

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)

Just that you're weird.

So just because someone lives in the US, they can't root for anyone else?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
But I was born here, so I have to be an American.

Im gonna be honest with you, I am not 100% clear on the rules of the Olympic cheering.. well have to find out from someone if you are only allowed to support the country you were born in..

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
Im gonna be honest with you, I am not 100% clear on the rules of the Olympic cheering.. well have to find out from someone if you are only allowed to support the country you were born in..

Let me know when you find that. I'm not familiar with the rules and regulations of cheering international play.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
So just because someone lives in the US, they can't root for anyone else?

Hey man, you do what you want. I never said you can't root for anyone else (unless you are in a bar, in which case I think you are asking for a fight).

I said it was weird to not cheer for the US.

I am Irish and German and a little Polish even. Do I cheer for Germany? No. I cheer for the US, the country I live in. Do I like to see Germany win a few medals here and there? Sure.

You guys can cheer for whomever the heck you want.

I just happen to think it's strange to be a citizen of this kick ass nation and not cheer for them in the Olympics.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
I just happen to think it's strange to be a citizen of this kick ass nation and not cheer for them in the Olympics.

I only like Canadas hockey team, and that's the only Canadians I cheered for in the Olympics.. I feel like you think I don't cheer for the US at all, just Canada.. which is not how it is..

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
I only like Canadas hockey team, and that's the only Canadians I cheered for in the Olympics.. I feel like you think I don't cheer for the US at all, just Canada.. which is not how it is..

Yeah, well, I still think you're weird. You cheered against the US in the most mainstream Winter Games sport. Weird.

NOT bad; weird.

It's too bad with what happened today, because the best team in the tournament (or at least, the team that played the best throughout, and by a wide margin) did not win the tournament. Then again, that's sports sometimes, especially in a single elimination setting. Coach Ron Wilson deserves a lot of credit, because the conservative, take away the boards and funnel things to the middle strategy worked well all day. Just some really stupid defensive mistakes by the U.S. on all 3 goals (although they got a couple of good breaks on pucks hitting the goalpost today.) Canada certainly deserves credit though, it'd be easy to choke under the pressure they were and they did not, and

At any rate, it's pretty obvious the U.S. is as close to Canada in hockey as they've ever been, because you don't beat the gold medalist once and take them to overtime a second time on their home ice through a fluke. Such a young team too, I'd love to see them try and finish what they started in Russia in 2014. I know logistically it's really hard, but watching the pros playing hockey in the Olympics is a treat, and I think it's good for the game and brings new fans in. It may be Canada's game, and it may only be 4th or 5th on the totem pole here, but we're catching up to them.

Getting back to the general idea of this thread though, I thought it was a very enjoyable Olympics to watch. Most fun I've ever had watching the winter version of the games.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
Youre Serbian though, I am not Canadian.. so im just a weirdo..

Yes.. yes you are.

f***ing kills me of all people... cry baby Sid gets the winning goal. ANYONE else from Canada I was hoping would get it if the USA didn't. Glad to see Toews following the Yzerman 2002 line. Hopefully he completes it like Yzerman did with the Stanley Cup this year as well.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I would think you'd want to cheer for the team that is representing the country you live/born in.

Yes, though I can at least see Slav's point of view too. I'm half Mexican, and my dads side is all true Mexico through and through, so like the WBC for example, if the USA got bounced, I would root for Mexico. If USA-Mexico wound up meeting for the championship, I would cheer for the USA (possibly both equally), but personally could care less who won since I love Mexico as well. Home soil is irrelevant.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:08 AM)
Yes.. yes you are.

f***ing kills me of all people... cry baby Sid gets the winning goal. ANYONE else from Canada I was hoping would get it if the USA didn't. Glad to see Toews following the Yzerman 2002 line. Hopefully he completes it like Yzerman did with the Stanley Cup this year as well.

Toews was really an underrated player.....up until this tournament. I don't think that will be the case anymore. Watching this tournament makes you appreciate even moreso how good Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Kane are. We're privledged to have those guys around for a long time.

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)

Same with me. Hockey is the only thing I cheered for any team other than the USA team. In every other event I was most likely the guy yelling USA! USA! USA!. Canada is their sport and they are hosting the olympics so it is nice to see them get it. If baseball is ever an Olympic sport again and is played within the USA, you better believe that I'll be the biggest USA fan around.

Screw hockey being their sport. They've now won 2 goal medals in the last 15 Olympic games. They may have invented it, but there are several other countries not far behind them in ability to play the game. Would have been great to piss on their little parade today, but alas it was not meant to be.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I gotta side with the "it's weird to root against your own country" bandwagon here. I don't get how you root for the Canadian team if you're an American. I can almost understand rooting for a different country in a sport like ski jumping. But Hockey? It's as mainstream as the Winter Olympics get and there was a lot riding on tonight's game. I couldn't care less that Canada was trying to win on their home soil. . . thats what would have made it all the more sweet if we could have won. Moreover, we were the plucky underdogs . . . it's not like we were the evil overbearing team -- that was Canada who had an entire team riddled with all-stars and future hall of famers.

I dunno, I just don't understand the logic. But to each his own.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
I gotta side with the "it's weird to root against your own country" bandwagon here. I don't get how you root for the Canadian team if you're an American. I can almost understand rooting for a different country in a sport like ski jumping. But Hockey? It's as mainstream as the Winter Olympics get and there was a lot riding on tonight's game. I couldn't care less that Canada was trying to win on their home soil. . . thats what would have made it all the more sweet if we could have won. Moreover, we were the plucky underdogs . . . it's not like we were the evil overbearing team -- that was Canada who had an entire team riddled with all-stars and future hall of famers.

I dunno, I just don't understand the logic. But to each his own.

because my favorite NHL players are mostly Canadians, so when the Olympics comes around they are on team Canada.. I wouldn't say I was rooting against the US, just rooting for Canada if that makes sense..

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 05:38 AM)
because my favorite NHL players are mostly Canadians, so when the Olympics comes around they are on team Canada.. I wouldn't say I was rooting against the US, just rooting for Canada if that makes sense..

So rooting for your favorite professional athletes > rooting for your own country. Got it.