Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
I see where he's coming from. This would be more difficult to happen in the WBC, but if say team Venezuela had 3 White Sox on it and no White Sox on team USA, then I would root for Venezuela

I find this extremely fascinating, but to each their own. If you wanna root against your own country, then go for it, although it only seems like that happens in the US, nowhere else.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
Eh I was rooting for Canada because they had more Blackhawks, so that's my logic.

At least it was a game that people will remember for a long, long time and not a blowout.

I will say this much. That was an incredible game. Great goaltending, great checking, physical game, with tons of drama, great plays and memorable moments. I know it hurts most that the US lost, but they played two awesome games against a team that had WAY more talent than our team did. The USA hockey program should be damned proud of what it did in Vancouver.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
I will say this much. That was an incredible game. Great goaltending, great checking, physical game, with tons of drama, great plays and memorable moments. I know it hurts most that the US lost, but they played two awesome games against a team that had WAY more talent than our team did. The USA hockey program should be damned proud of what it did in Vancouver.

And it was a game like that, which the NHL desperately needed.

Suddenly people are talking about Hockey again, hell even ESPN Sportscenter ran with it at the top of its show, instead of some NY / Boston sports thing that no-one except those on the East Coast gives a crap about.

Now they have a chance to push Hockey back into the mainstream. They need to market the hell out of Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Parise, Toews etc. which they have been doing, but they need to do it more. They need to market Hockey as the NBA markets basketball now. It's all about the stars.

Ideally, a Chicago vs. Pittsburgh or Washington Stanley Cup would be ideal to help that process.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)

Suddenly people are talking about Hockey again, hell even ESPN Sportscenter ran with it at the top of its show, instead of some NY / Boston sports thing that no-one except those on the East Coast gives a crap about.

Now they have a chance to push Hockey back into the mainstream. They need to market the hell out of Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Parise, Toews etc. which they have been doing, but they need to do it more. They need to market Hockey as the NBA markets basketball now. It's all about the stars.

Ideally, a Chicago vs. Pittsburgh or Washington Stanley Cup would be ideal to help that process.

Either one of those happenings would make me a happy human!

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 04:38 AM)
because my favorite NHL players are mostly Canadians, so when the Olympics comes around they are on team Canada.. I wouldn't say I was rooting against the US, just rooting for Canada if that makes sense..

I understand you Carl.. In my case, with Soccer, almost all my favorite players are from Spain, so during the World Cup and other international events, Spain is always my number one team to win the tournaments regardless of who they play (yes including the U.S.). But its not to say that i wouldnt get hyped if the U.S. beat Spain (which they have, fairly recently).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
Eh I was rooting for Canada because they had more Blackhawks, so that's my logic.

At least it was a game that people will remember for a long, long time and not a blowout.

You're also not an American though. It's like you rooting for some team over the Aussies in the World Cup.

And to expand on what others say, I root for Poland and Slovakia to do well in almost any tournament or event because that's where my grandparents came from and I'm proud of my heritage, but never at the expense of the United States, because I'm more proud of my country.

The closing ceremony was dreadfully bad.

The mime part was pretty darn funny, I really got a good laugh out of that, Best line of the night, from my sister: "That man didn't have a job until 2 weeks ago".

The famous actors mocking Canada part was really dry and lame.

"Mr Bubbles" (as my sister called him) was pretty good, but I think he was lip syncing. His female mounty friends were super sexy though.

Oh, and Catherine O'Hara is a MILF! Wow was she smokin' last night.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

The olympics were great and loved the story of the driver of the 4 man bobsled almost going blind and the Gander island story.

The ratings were through the roof which is good.

I could see why somebody would be happy for Canada as they love hockey but I was still rooting for the good ole USA.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)

I don't know if they can market the stars. They aren't on the ice enough to really market them plus they are wearing helmets and there is very little opportunity to get face shots of them.

Kramer: Ha ha, the Ukraine. Do you know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting

duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's

time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

Ukrainian: I come from Ukraine. You not say Ukraine weak.

Kramer: Yeah, well we're playing a game here, pal.

Ukrainian: Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash

it!!

The Ukrainian pounds the game board, destroying it and sending army pieces

flying.

I always root for my Ukrainian heritage. ALWAYS! :ph34r:

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
I don't know if they can market the stars. They aren't on the ice enough to really market them plus they are wearing helmets and there is very little opportunity to get face shots of them.

Tell that to the NFL.

Student comes into class today with hat pulled low and a real nice black eye. We were talking about emotion and motivation (intro psych) and I say, okay what are some negative emotions that influence our biological state?

kid with black eye: losing a f***ing hockey game and getting in a bar fight.

me: um, yes? Okay, what are some positive emotions that influence our biological state?

kid in back with canada hat: winning a f***ing hockey game!

At least I found something my students get excited about. . .

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
The NFL markets stars, but it's way more about teams. No league is even near as star driven as the NBA.

Well yeah. I wasn't saying the NHL could market stars nearly as effectively as the NBA because that simply won't happen. But to say they can't market stars at all because they wear helmets is just silly, especially when the other major sport where players wear helmets has done a good job of making their stars very visible.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Well yeah. I wasn't saying the NHL could market stars nearly as effectively as the NBA because that simply won't happen. But to say they can't market stars at all because they wear helmets is just silly, especially when the other major sport where players wear helmets has done a good job of making their stars very visible.

Tell me who is that visible a star in the NFL? I've come up with Peyton Manning and really that is about it. Ochocinco does it himself.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Tell me who is that visible a star in the NFL? I've come up with Peyton Manning and really that is about it. Ochocinco does it himself.

You should watch more commercials. We get pummeled with ads including Peyton, Eli, Brees, Peterson, Brady, Shockey, Tomlinson, etc.

Oh, and Favre obviously. Not sure how I missed him with my initial list.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Vick, LT, Ray Lewis, Brady, Peterson, Favre...

The way I judge how big a star is in sports is if a group of girls know who he is. I can guarantee that most women won't know who Ray, LT & AP are.

They'll only know Vick from the whole dog-fighting fiasco.

The only big stars that the NFL has are Peyton, Brady, Favre. Maybe Polamalu.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)

Easily recognizable are Peyton Manning, Ochocinco, Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Brian Urlacher, Brett Favre, Troy Palamalu, TO, Tom Brady, In the near future Mark Sanchez, Ray Lewis, Tony Romo, D-Mac, and Warner.

Id imagine Ray Lewis and D-Mac moreso only by the male crowd.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Easily recognizable are Peyton Manning, Ochocinco, Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Brian Urlacher, Brett Favre, Troy Palamalu, TO, Tom Brady, In the near future Mark Sanchez, Ray Lewis, Tony Romo, D-Mac, and Warner.

Id imagine Ray Lewis and D-Mac moreso only by the male crowd.

I'm confused as to who D-Mac is? Anyways, the only person on there that is as big a star as any of the top 5 in the NBA is Manning. Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, and Shaq are way bigger stars than anybody on that list other than Manning and possibly Brady or Favre. The NFL isn't really that good at marketing their Stars because nobody sees their faces when they play.