Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
Titans passing D absolutely blows, and Indy has given up a lot of offense in the second half this year.

I can see a high score tonight.

Any score is possible in the NFL.

The key for me is whether the Titans have quit on Jeff Fisher or not. If they have, it will be a ugly.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)

The key for me is whether the Titans have quit on Jeff Fisher or not. If they have, it will be a ugly.

The last two weeks made it appear as if they have quit on him. We shall see though. If you don't get up for a Thursday night against your top division rival with the possible season on the line, then obviously they will have checked out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
I can see this:

QTR 1 2 3 4

IND 13 7 0 10

TEN 3 7 17 6

Do you have the sports almanac from Back to the Future? Should I bet on that exact box score right now???

Side note: Did anybody notice that when the Colts were 5-2 or 6-3, the media kept claiming that Manning is so good, it doesn't matter how many of his WRs are injured, he keeps winning? Now that they are 6-6, all I hear is that there is only so much Peyton can do with an injured WR core. Which one is it??

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
Do you have the sports almanac from Back to the Future? Should I bet on that exact box score right now???

Hey, you're the Pick to Click winner.

As an aside, I did get 13 of 16 right with the spread last week.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)

The consensus here in Tennessee seems to be that they have quit on Fisher, but we will see... I, for one, think he's a really good coach.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)

Side note: Did anybody notice that when the Colts were 5-2 or 6-3, the media kept claiming that Manning is so good, it doesn't matter how many of his WRs are injured, he keeps winning? Now that they are 6-6, all I hear is that there is only so much Peyton can do with an injured WR core. Which one is it??

Earlier this season I was saying this too, but there's only so much he can account for at a time apparently.

There is just only so much you can really account for in trying to predict a football game. Everything went the Colts way early, including converting two big 3rd downs on their first td drive, converting a 3rd and 17 on their second, and then the snap over the Tennessee punter's head. Meanwhile, this was all flanked by Tennessee receivers dropping passes that hit them right in the hands.

This game was a really solid example of why the NFL is so difficult to try and predict.

And of course, the Titans score on the final play of the game to cover the spread, after deciding at one point to bring in their kicker for the FG and then calling him back.

Crazy stuff.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)

Manning is incredible. He can turn nothing receivers into stars. But when he isn't even confident of where they are going to be on certain routes, even the great Peyton Manning can get flustered, especially with absolutely no running game to speak of.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
And of course, the Titans score on the final play of the game to cover the spread, after deciding at one point to bring in their kicker for the FG and then calling him back.

You don't think the spread played into that decision?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
You don't think the spread played into that decision?

No, not at all.

I think they realized that with 30 seconds left, they had the ball inside the 20 and it would be easier to try and score a td from that position and then get 25-30 yards after recovering a potential onside kick to get the game-winning field goal than it would be to kick the field goal there and go 60 yards to score the game winning td after recovering a potential onside kick.

Once you get close enough to the end zone to have a legitimate shot, you take it, unless you get forced into an unmanageable 4th down situation. I think Jeff Fisher realized that during the timeout after initially running Bironas onto the field to kick the field goal.

Edited by iamshack

This game is this week's "title belt" matchup. This means that if after the 1st Super Bowl victory by the Packers they were awarded a hypothetical title belt they would have to defend it during each regular season and playoff game. The first team that beat them got the belt, and the first team that beat the new belt holder got the belt, so on and so on. Basically if football worked like boxing this would be a championship game.

Just a fun anecdote.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
This game is this week's "title belt" matchup. This means that if after the 1st Super Bowl victory by the Packers they were awarded a hypothetical title belt they would have to defend it during each regular season and playoff game. The first team that beat them got the belt, and the first team that beat the new belt holder got the belt, so on and so on. Basically if football worked like boxing this would be a championship game.

Just a fun anecdote.

What a waste of someone's time.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)

Just a fun anecdote.

I don't get it?? Wouldn't there be a "championship" game every single week???

Jay Cutler (12-8-2010) - "we probably have one of the worst fields in the league at this point. We did last year as well... We have to deal with it, and our guys know it. They are aware of how to cut and how to move on it... (Cutler said he hears) a lot of stuff (from opposing players) after the game and during pre-game about what cleats to wear … exactly how torn up (Soldier Field) is... It's a shame."

Chicago Park District (12-10-2010) - "You hate to hear comments like that because there's a strong commitment by the city, the Chicago Park District, the management here at Soldier Field to keep this as one of the best fields in the NFL."

Survey says, Soldier Field one of the worst - The last time the National Football League Players Association conducted its Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey in 2008, Soldier Field was sacked by the players around the league. Soldier Field was rated the fourth-worst grass playing field in the NFL, ahead of only Pittsburgh, Oakland and Miami.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
Jay Cutler (12-8-2010) - "we probably have one of the worst fields in the league at this point. We did last year as well... We have to deal with it, and our guys know it. They are aware of how to cut and how to move on it... (Cutler said he hears) a lot of stuff (from opposing players) after the game and during pre-game about what cleats to wear … exactly how torn up (Soldier Field) is... It's a shame."

Chicago Park District (12-10-2010) - "You hate to hear comments like that because there's a strong commitment by the city, the Chicago Park District, the management here at Soldier Field to keep this as one of the best fields in the NFL."

Survey says, Soldier Field one of the worst - The last time the National Football League Players Association conducted its Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey in 2008, Soldier Field was sacked by the players around the league. Soldier Field was rated the fourth-worst grass playing field in the NFL, ahead of only Pittsburgh, Oakland and Miami.

And Miami and Oakland are baseball stadiums as well...so we are probably among the worst with Pittsburgh.

Most of this has to do with the weather. Part of it has to do with the insistence to allow hs football games to take place the same week as Bears games.

Time for field turf.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
And Miami and Oakland are baseball stadiums as well...so we are probably among the worst with Pittsburgh.

Most of this has to do with the weather. Part of it has to do with the insistence to allow hs football games to take place the same week as Bears games.

Time for field turf.

If that is the case why are places like Green Bay and New England ahead of us? Somebody call Roger Bossard and fix this the right way.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)

Time for field turf.

loooooooong overdue. I just dont understand why they havent gone this route earlier, it makes no sense whatsoever. The upkeep on field turf has to be minimal compared to the amount of times they have had to replace the sod at soldier field since it opened. And we are only considering football games here, dont they still play soccer on soldier field? And they also have concerts which ruin the field.

And lets not even talk about injuries caused by the crappy turf. and the embarrassment of the tv announcers constantly ripping on the turf