Who will hurt us more?

ozzfest

Who will be more detrimental to the Sox?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Sox killers?

• Jim Thome-Twins
    • Johnny Damon-Tigers
    • Neither

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted Damon based on at bats. I am weening myself into accepting the DH is what it is for now. I like to be a positive guy. Both of these outright decline to sign so you can go make division rivals better situations are frustrating during a time when you can only go on projected productions vs. actual production.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Damon would have been a better fit for the Sox. All this does it means that Jones and TCQ have to do more to rebound.

Or that our prospects play well enough that Kenny can fill the gaps at the deadline without having to deal either Flowers or Hudson since that seems to be a deal breaker for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
Damon would have been a better fit for the Sox. All this does it means that Jones and TCQ have to do more to rebound.

If Quentin doesn't rebound, this offense will struggle to score runs with or without Damon.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
I voted Thome because I HOPE Thome hurts us more for 2 reasons.

1) I still love Thome, and much like Crede, I will root for him when we play the Twins

and

2) If Thome is hurting us more by only playing in limited time with the Twins, it most likely means Damon is bombing, and I will support that cause.

Why would you do that?? :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
If Quentin doesn't rebound, this offense will struggle to score runs with or without Damon.

I'm really getting tired of this justification. An improved DH means an improved team, and that has nothing to do with Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Why would you do that?? :gosoxretro:

Because Jim Thome was the cats-pajamas. Obviously I won't root for him in a close game late or whatever, but i hope he does well next season. I stood up and cheered when Crede hit a HR vs. us last year, and remember when The Big Hurt hit his first HR against us? All the fans applauded.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Damon's career stats at Comerica are pretty decent.

That could easily just be that he hits their pitchers well. .978 OPS against Verlander, 1.165 OPS against Bonderman, 2/3 last year against Porcello.

17 HR at Yankee Stadium last year, 7 HR on the road, and now he's another year older.

Of the two named options, definitely Damon.

Thome is the Twins' Andruw Jones - a cheap pickup, perhaps driven more by memories of time past than on today's realities.

Thome will not get many ABs (he's behind Kubel and Cuddyer), and with his swing and back, he needs lots of ABs to stay loose and do well. He didn't do well in LA. If he does get on base, he will kill the Twins running game (it will still take 2 hits to bring him home). And with the M & M boys supplying left side power, I can't figure out why the Twins added Thome. If all 3 are in the line-up, Thornton can mow them all down.

I think the Twins, as they proved with the Crede signing, have Sox envy.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
I think the Twins, as they proved with the Crede signing, have Sox envy.

I remember at a game against the Twins last year, this Twins fan was saying "Go get 'em Joe! Them and their fans don't appreciate you like us."

I wanted to berate the guy, but I preferred not getting thrown out.

It's funny, the Twins have been trying to become us and we're trying to become them. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side.