25 man roster set

Kalapse

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Good. Arguably one of the biggest keys to our team. If he can hit, he'll play every day in center I'd think, even on Sundays.

More generally, the outfield is everything for this club, IMO.

All teams have question marks. If you look at the Sox rotation, bullpen, C and IF positions, and the bench... there are few, fewer than a lot of teams.

But the standard deviation, if you will, of possible likely performance values, for the OF, is huge - TCQ, Pierre, Rios and Jones are all very big question marks. If they are all disappointments, this team won't win 80 games. If they all live up to talent, this team wins north of 90. The outfield is this team's barometer, as far as I can see.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Good. Arguably one of the biggest keys to our team. If he can hit, he'll play every day in center I'd think, even on Sundays.

They really seem like they want to try Jones there. And frankly, if he's healthy and earns the at bats, I don't think I can complain. Pierre, Jones, Rios in the OF and there shouldn't ever be a ball that hits the ground.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Starting pitching is good, not thrilled about the question marks surrounding the lineup and bullpen.

I think the bullpen looks like one of the best in baseball. Bullpens are always highly variable, for all teams, in all seasons. But a bullpen anchored by 3 guys who can close effectively, along with Pena and Linkebrink in the middle with Williams at LOOGY and Santos (the biggest ?) as the last man, is as good as most teams have.

Its predictable, every year on this board, people worry about the bullpen. But trying to take a look at how we entered other seasons, this one looks as solid as any. Heck, it looks a lot better than what the 2005 pen would have looked like on Opening Day, with the track record of the guys we had going in at that point.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
OT: But our AAA affiliate will be fun to watch and pretty deep. Might have to get that poster who lives in Charlotte to give us some updates on some guys. :D

We have someone stationed in Charlotte?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
We have someone stationed in Charlotte?

Ya I think it's someone with the name rowand in his name (rowand's rowdies?). Can't remember who though but he's saw a few games last season and updated before.

EDIT: It is letsgoarow. He's from Biscuit-town.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
They really seem like they want to try Jones there. And frankly, if he's healthy and earns the at bats, I don't think I can complain. Pierre, Jones, Rios in the OF and there shouldn't ever be a ball that hits the ground.

they do want to play Jones a lot in CF this year. Also I was not a Pierre fan at all but apparantly he is one of the hardest workers the sox have ever had. He gets to the workout facility at 5:30 every morning.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
they do want to play Jones a lot in CF this year. Also I was not a Pierre fan at all but apparantly he is one of the hardest workers the sox have ever had. He gets to the workout facility at 5:30 every morning.

I hate his game, but yes he has been known for a long time now around baseball as a diligent worker. As long as his OBP is around .350 though, I will never complain about him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Ya I think it's someone with the name rowand in his name (rowand's rowdies?). Can't remember who though but he's saw a few games last season and updated before.

EDIT: It is letsgoarow. He's from Biscuit-town.

Yeah, I knew he was in Montgomery, didn't know he was going to Charlotte. We need to take up donations and get somebody some Knights season tickets.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
i really wish there were room for him. we could use a good defensive sub who can run the bases...

Aside from maybe Pierre who is he going to sub for? Are you really going to remove Quentin in a close game for defensive purposes? I really don't think the marginal upgrade defensively is worth losing your best hitter for what could potentially be an extra inning game. Rios is a stud in the field and Jones could very well be even better, Pierre's arm is horrendous but his range is excellent. I'm not really seeing the value in a late inning OF defensive replacement.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Was so excited I made THIS!!!

That reminds me: the rally seizure might have to make a return this year after a 3 year hiatus. It debuted in July of 2006 in the 19th inning of that marathon vs Boston and hasn't been seen since that season.