Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:35 AM)
Illinois definitely underperformed this year. The problem is, there is no reason to believe they won't do it again next year. They've underperformed drastically 2 of the last 3 years now.

How is it underperforming if they performed that way as the norm for the past 2-3 years? :unsure:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
How is it underperforming if they performed that way as the norm for the past 2-3 years? :unsure:

They got in the tourney last season with a less talented team, prob would have won a game if their senior leader didnt go down with injury either. How is it not underperforming when a more talented team fails to even make the big dance.

McCamey declares. Hopefully he'll stick around for one more year. I dunno if there's enough buzz out there for him to be assured of a first round pick.

Also JaJuan Johnson will declare, a guy that might be picked in the first round. Would be a big blow to Purdue next year.

lol, pretty funny email forward I just got:

Butler Hoops Team Under Investigation - AP

INDIANAPOLIS--Butler's run in the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Game may be tarnished after reports surfaced today that all 13 players on the roster are being given good educations in an effort to help them find good jobs after they leave the school. "It's important to remember that right now these are only allegations -- allegations that we are looking into," said NCAA president James Isch.

"But, obviously, if true, this would be very disappointing. The NCAA has certain expectations and standards. It's not fair for players at one school to be given good educations while athletes at other member schools receive basic, remedial instruction that is worth essentially nothing." According to documents seized from the school's registrar's office, Butler players have received an education worth $38,616 per year totaling more than $150,000 over a four-year career.

Compare that to player at a school like Kentucky , where tuition is set at $4,051 -- but with an actual value far below that. “We don't want to say too much until these reports are confirmed," said Kentucky head basketball coach John Calipari. "But we're talking about almost $140,000 difference in education per player -- and that's even if my players stayed four years or graduated, which many of them do not. Then these Butler players are reportedly stepping into good jobs after graduation while my kids, if they don't make the NBA, have absolutely no job prospects or life skills. It's far from a balanced playing field. They are buying the best players by giving them a high-priced education."

In addition to the allegations that they were given an expensive education, many Butler players have been spotted around campus holding books, studying and engaging in interesting conversations. Others have been seen with people who are known to not be tutors. Butler point guard and Kentucky native Ronald Nored, who is reportedly a secondary education major, denied allegations that the Bulldog program is cheating.

"The discourse on this matter is fatuous and inane," he said, implicating the program further.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
SIU to play in Champaign November 2010. No return game scheduled

Wow, very noble of Bruce. Wait til SIU could possibly be the lowest it has been in over a decade them schedule em. BOOM!

Now he shows that he is not afraid to schedule in state opponents! Brilliant! Muhwahahaha!

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
NCAA about to approve 68 team NCAA tourney.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5125307

Haven't seen the details, but I'm guessing 4 play in games.

TruTV huh. You can catch Matt's crazy antics on Operation Repo and then a 2nd round NCAA game. Solid. :lol:

I'm fine with the mini-expansion. All it would do is increase from 1 play-in game to 4. I doubt it but I hope it never goes beyond that.

Also awesome that Turner got some of the rights. Now you don't have to have direct TV or an internet feed to watch whatever game you want. Big plus with that one.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
Wow, very noble of Bruce. Wait til SIU could possibly be the lowest it has been in over a decade them schedule em. BOOM!

Now he shows that he is not afraid to schedule in state opponents! Brilliant! Muhwahahaha!

And he still can't even got to Carbondale.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I was honestly hoping ESPN would get the rights. Despite having Vitale probably calling national title games, would of been cool to have games on ESPN, ESPN2, Classic, and News.

With CBS having every game online in high quality I kind of wanted it to stay with CBS. Even with ESPN3 I don't think ESPN was going to be able to match what CBS has been doing the last few years.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
With CBS having every game online in high quality I kind of wanted it to stay with CBS. Even with ESPN3 I don't think ESPN was going to be able to match what CBS has been doing the last few years.

It will probably be similar to what ESPN could of done. Games on CBS, TNT, TBS, etc. Only difference is that all the ESPN's are in a row on my channel listing. I will have to flip all over to find the different Turner stations. FML

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)

i f***in hate everything about this program right now. I'll still end up going to every game, maybe just to heckle lowery.

There was a game between SIU/UI scheduled for last season but cancelled at the very last second due to scheduling conflicts. Weber has actually always been open to playing SIU, but Lowery always wanted a return game. I'm not sure if that's the exact reason it has always been held up, but there's no reason for the Illini to give a return game. They're doing the favor of playing SIU to begin with.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
There was a game between SIU/UI scheduled for last season but cancelled at the very last second due to scheduling conflicts. Weber has actually always been open to playing SIU, but Lowery always wanted a return game. I'm not sure if that's the exact reason it has always been held up, but there's no reason for the Illini to give a return game. They're doing the favor of playing SIU to begin with.

You act like Illinois is some big consistent national powerhouse program that should pick their schedule as they please and get whatever they want. Jaded City, population 1.

Indiana wasn't too big to do home and away with us in the past.

Never heard anything about a game being close to being scheduled and I follow things with SIU pretty close.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
I think 68 teams is dumb, but compared to the alternative this is great news.

68 is fine but instead of going from 65 to 96, the NCAA appears to be going to a slower route to 96.

Now its 68, then the NCAA will say lets add another 4. Then when the next contract expires, the field has crawled to 96 teams.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
You act like Illinois is some big consistent national powerhouse program that should pick their schedule as they please and get whatever they want. Jaded City, population 1.

Indiana wasn't too big to do home and away with us in the past.

Never heard anything about a game being close to being scheduled and I follow things with SIU pretty close.

I agree. Weber is just being a p**** about it, but I don't necessarily blame him. Being the larger in-state school, he is "supposed" to win those games, so they don't stand much to gain from them. Thats probably why they only played UIC & ISU(almost lost) at the United Center. s***, they got to play Bradley in a neutral-site tournament this year, and look how well that went.

If only Brian Randle could have hit some f***ing free throws 3 years ago, we could have had a #4 SIU vs. #12 UI matchup in the NCAAs.

Dillard and Booker now both OFFICIALLY gone from SIU.

Both had their good and their bad. Sucks Dillard is going. I know for a fact he was regretting signing with us his senior year at HF but tried to tough it out.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Dillard and Booker now both OFFICIALLY gone from SIU.

Both had their good and their bad. Sucks Dillard is going. I know for a fact he was regretting signing with us his senior year at HF but tried to tough it out.

It truly is amazing the talent that Lowery has run out of the program. For the money he gets paid, it is unacceptable.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
It truly is amazing the talent that Lowery has run out of the program. For the money he gets paid, it is unacceptable.

The players that have left the past few years under him could create a team and make the NCAA tourney.

Glad Teague is staying. That would of been devastating if he left.

Edited by Brian

This is not brand new and my apologies if I missed it in this thread, but congrats to neighborhood kid Brad Brownell on getting the Clemson job. Used to play some mean games on a neighbor's 8' goal when we were young. I'll be curious to see how he will be able to recruit and compete in the ACC. Nice step up for the kid from Evansville.