Rank the White Sox minor league outfielders on MLB potential upside

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Ooops...this just in, the Twins are making more money from advanced sales of Target Field "Stadium Tours" than we are in advanced ticket sales for the 7 games on this homestand.

So.... what does this have to do with the topic of the thread... that you started?

Hijacking your own thread (about Sox minor leaguers... in a minor league forum no less) to talk about the Twins... again?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
So.... what does this have to do with the topic of the thread... that you started?

Hijacking your own thread (about Sox minor leaguers... in a minor league forum no less) to talk about the Twins... again?

hahaha J4L will love that.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)

I gotta say, in all of the years I have been on Soxtalk, I don't think I have ever seen anyone hi-jack their own thread... after one reply. Bravo.

Seriously caulfield, was this thread necessary? You don't have to create a new thread every 15 seconds asking questions about minor leaguers. Just ask them in the catch-all thread or in the game threads they play in or something. Getting kind of ridiculous. Same for Pale Hose threads on firing guys and finding replacements on a tough loss. Good to ask, but don't need them every 15 seconds.

If you'll care to notice, Sox Ace, I haven't started a single thread after a loss in weeks.

Kind of beating a dead horse with that one.

I even deliberately, with intentional forethought, started a "positive" thread there.

I have yet to see anyone actually make a comment about the list I made. But we have 4-5 comments on my posting/s.

90% of the posters don't go through the minor league "catch all" threads....but you're free to move it there if you like....that's why we have mods, I thought???

Still, the point remains, I've yet to see anyone say what is right or wrong with the list I started the thread with. I've seen what is right and wrong with me, duly noted.

Maybe I will try writing only positive things about the White Sox for the rest of the season, if that will appease you and ameliorate your discontent with the Sox, then I willl do it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
If you'll care to notice, Sox Ace, I haven't started a single thread after a loss in weeks.

Kind of beating a dead horse with that one.

I even deliberately, with intentional forethought, started a "positive" thread there.

I have yet to see anyone actually make a comment about the list I made. But we have 4-5 comments on my posting/s.

90% of the posters don't go through the minor league "catch all" threads....but you're free to move it there if you like....that's why we have mods, I thought???

Still, the point remains, I've yet to see anyone say what is right or wrong with the list I started the thread with. I've seen what is right and wrong with me, duly noted.

Maybe I will try writing only positive things about the White Sox for the rest of the season, if that will appease you and ameliorate your discontent with the Sox, then I willl do it.

but still, we are confused as to why you hijacked your own thread about the Sox minorleaguers with talk about the Twins success at Target field. So whats up with that, and the strange edit that followed?

What's up with characterizing something as "strange"? (From now on, I think I'll just say the opposite of what I actually believe, in an effort to be exceedingly positive and cheerleaderish....so the comments about Revere and Hicks will fit into that overall paradigm shift over time).

It's also "strange" to me that the White Sox season is about to be over before it even started...I'm frustrated, because as a baseball fan, I actually wanted to be able to care about my team. It would be nice to at least hope we have meaningful games in the second half of the season.

So I promise for the rest of the season not to bring up the TWINS, nor will I create a discussion about abysmal attendance in a thread (as the topic of any "new thread" here or anywhere in PHT). You can ban me for life if I do that, fine.

Then you will have new posters to concern yourself with...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
What's up with characterizing something as "strange"? (From now on, I think I'll just say the opposite of what I actually believe, in an effort to be exceedingly positive and cheerleaderish....so the comments about Revere and Hicks will fit into that overall paradigm shift over time).

It's also "strange" to me that the White Sox season is about to be over before it even started...I'm frustrated, because as a baseball fan, I actually wanted to be able to care about my team. It would be nice to at least hope we have meaningful games in the second half of the season.

So I promise for the rest of the season not to bring up the TWINS, nor will I create a discussion about abysmal attendance in a thread (as the topic of any "new thread" here or anywhere in PHT). You can ban me for life if I do that, fine.

Don't think you get it really. This isn't WSI bro. I actually don't mind the Twins/attendance talk. Hell, you are the Twins talk as fathom is to the Cubs talk. It's just your threads/posts alot of times are way off base or out there. It's like you talk about something, then all of a sudden you bring up something totally irrelevant to your own post/thread. Instead of making threads every 15 seconds hijacking a board length and making mods/admins work to delete/lock/etc.. threads, just post it on a catch-all thread or something. That's all I'm saying.

Every 15 seconds?

Isn't that a little hyperbolic?

You also have to consider one factor. I'm in China now, it's 653 am here. So because I post at a totally different time, like in the morning when everyone is sleeping the US, I could see where you would have that impression.

But actually count thread starters in the last week or so in PHT. I might have just a couple, at most.

Everyone has annoying habits here and become predictable. Would you like to hear everything that's wrong with your posts, lol?

I'll save that discussion for another day, I think.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)

Way to take the jump off the ledge, you still havent answered the question, but whatever. And I still havent asked you to stop talking about the Twins, Im just asking why you completely changed the subject of your own thread, one post into the thread. I didnt call you strange, I called your edit strange, because it still has nothing to do with the topic that YOU set.

Ban me, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Why do you do that every time someone asks you why you completely change the subject? And paradigm shifts? If you want to jump all over the place with your discussions I wont command you to stay on topic, but dont get all defensive and mopey because you were asked why.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Every 15 seconds?

Isn't that a little hyperbolic?

You also have to consider one factor. I'm in China now, it's 653 am here. So because I post at a totally different time, like in the morning when everyone is sleeping the US, I could see where you would have that impression.

Ya I thought that was obvious, I was being sarcastic.

And yes I know where your from. In fact.. I talked with you and Jason before about it. Thought it was pretty cool actually to be posting out there. We are usually very agreeable on topics.

But actually count thread starters in the last week or so in PHT. I might have just a couple, at most.

Everyone has annoying habits here and become predictable. Would you like to hear everything that's wrong with your posts, lol?

I'll save that discussion for another day, I think.

Ha, I would love to hear them from a guy who has only been here for 3 years to know my style, which usually I'm very consistent nor a "pattern poster" other than my slang at times and my grammar (though you would also be dissin the creator of this site who has the worst grammar here. :P)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Ban me, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Why do you do that every time someone asks you why you completely change the subject? And paradigm shifts? If you want to jump all over the place with your discussions I wont command you to stay on topic, but dont get all defensive and mopey because you were asked why.

He'll learn Kyyle. Give the man time. Already noticed his post today are still within the subject of his first sentence.

Edited by SoxAce

Can I get a "gold star"?

With the way this season's going, we might have to present "poster of the week" awards to encourage anyone to talk about the White Sox, other than minor leagues and trade winds.

BTW, can Brandon Short play CF? Just corner OF? Hasn't he played infield before at some point in his career, before he came to the Sox?

How would we compare Shelby III and Short as prospects?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 5, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
What.

Now that thats out of the way, I'll just say my top 4

Trayce Thompson

Jared Mitchell

Jordan Danks

John Shelby III

Doesn't Shelby's inability to play CF limit his potential?

He really has to be like Chone Figgins with lower OBP but more power to occupy LF/DH on our roster.

Then again, we DH the likes of Pierre, Kotsay and Vizquel, and he probably will put up higher OPS numbers than all three of those guys at this point in their late careers.

With Shelby, you're talking 15-18 homers, lots of doubles and triples sprinkled in, streaky streaky hitting, maybe 18-24 steals??? Kind of like Ray Durham (albeit lesser version of Ray-Ray playing LF instead of 2B). The question will always be K's/contact and OBP with Shelby, yes?

Fair comparison?

If not, who would you compare Shelby to in terms of current power/speed combo players?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 01:02 AM)

He really has to be like Chone Figgins with lower OBP but more power to occupy LF/DH on our roster.

Then again, we DH the likes of Pierre, Kotsay and Vizquel, and he probably will put up higher OPS numbers than all three of those guys at this point in their late careers.

With Shelby, you're talking 15-18 homers, lots of doubles and triples sprinkled in, streaky streaky hitting, maybe 18-24 steals??? Kind of like Ray Durham (albeit lesser version of Ray-Ray playing LF instead of 2B). The question will always be K's/contact and OBP with Shelby, yes?

Fair comparison?

If not, who would you compare Shelby to in terms of current power/speed combo players?

1. Who said Shelby has an inability to play CF?

2. So, nothing like Figgins then?

3. Sadly true.

4. Yes, K's/OBP/consistency has been Shelby's problem.

5. Why do people always want arbitrary comparisons? I think he can be a .250/.300/.400 type hitter at best. If you want to assign a MLB comp to that then go wild, but he has 4th/5th outfielder potential for me, with the ability to play good D all across the OF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)

Fair comparison?

The fact that he's almost 25 and has had only 1 good minor league season limits his potential.

BUT BUT BUT

he still has the physical tools and overall game that scouts seem to love, compared to someone like a Retherford or Getz.

In my feeling, he's kind of a tweener type like Willie Harris (more pop, less speed) without one really defined position he is superior at and who ends up sticking as a bench/role player for 3-5 years in the majors.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
BTW, can Brandon Short play CF? Just corner OF? Hasn't he played infield before at some point in his career, before he came to the Sox?

Short is certainly fast enough to play center. I'm not sure about his ability to read balls and take routes. He has played CF, but he's been at the same level as Justin Greene for a while so he has been pushed off the position.

As for Shelby, I don't think he's going to be as good as most of the comparisons. Like OzzieBall said, he's likely a bench player. I have my doubts about him actually pulling that off.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)

Fair comparison?

...pretty sure Shelby has mainly played CF throughout his career.

In a hypothetical situation where Quentin and Rios are both gone, he'd be my 4th OF for the Sox, behind Trayce-D2-Mitchell in a few years.