Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Essien is still questionable. I know he's on the roster. Either way, I can't see him being 100% even if he plays.

Even at 75% Michael Essien would be one of the top midfielders on any team.

Looks like Australia is having concerns over Harry Kewell being fit so that could be another blow to a team in Serbia's group.

Fabio Gross was the next big name to cut from his squad by the way. And the French are very concerned about William Gallas' availability now too.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
If that isnt the last time Sacha takes the field for the national team then I will be pissed.

Completely agreed, he's horrendous. Other than that, I like what I saw from Torres, Goodson, Ching, and Gomez. I think they all deserve to go to SA, but we'll find out tomorrow at noon. It's gonna be a completely different team that plays Turkey on Saturday.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
If that isnt the last time Sacha takes the field for the national team then I will be pissed.

Yes he looked awful. I also was disappointed with Holden and Bornstein.

Loved what I saw out of Edu (minus his misplay in the last minute), he was all over the place and his versatility is a plus. Eddie Johnson looked lost to me. Beasley looked decent, I'd bring him but he'd be at the back of my bench. Liked what I saw out of Robbie Rogers and Edson Buddle. Herculez Gomez needs to be brought in, he's playing well right now and looked pretty decent last night.

Overall wasn't a great night and a few players were disappointmemts but I also liked what I saw out of a few guys I hadnt seen in a while.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
Yes he looked awful. I also was disappointed with Holden and Bornstein.

Loved what I saw out of Edu (minus his misplay in the last minute), he was all over the place and his versatility is a plus. Eddie Johnson looked lost to me. Beasley looked decent, I'd bring him but he'd be at the back of my bench. Liked what I saw out of Robbie Rogers and Edson Buddle. Herculez Gomez needs to be brought in, he's playing well right now and looked pretty decent last night.

Overall wasn't a great night and a few players were disappointmemts but I also liked what I saw out of a few guys I hadnt seen in a while.

I thought Holden played alright. I believe it was the first time he played a lot of minutes since breaking his ankle.

Rogers did good in his time in the match but its just not his time now. The midfield is too clogged but atleast he showed promise.

Bornstein was crap but we're thin at that position.

Gomez looked good but I think playing with Ching who played well helped a lot. Ching is a lock IMO and Gomez should be making the team too. Buddle tried hard and showed that speed he has but I think him playing with that stiff known as Johnson kinda hurt. Buddle's decision will come down to the wire.

I'd still play Jozy/Dempsey up top.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I thought Holden played alright. I believe it was the first time he played a lot of minutes since breaking his ankle.

Rogers did good in his time in the match but its just not his time now. The midfield is too clogged but atleast he showed promise.

Bornstein was crap but we're thin at that position.

Gomez looked good but I think playing with Ching who played well helped a lot. Ching is a lock IMO and Gomez should be making the team too. Buddle tried hard and showed that speed he has but I think him playing with that stiff known as Johnson kinda hurt. Buddle's decision will come down to the wire.

I'd still play Jozy/Dempsey up top.

Ching left out which I'm ok with, but the only thing i'm really confused about is Robbie Findley making the team. I dont know how that happened, I would have preferred Ching. Also, I'm very happy to see Gomez and Torres make this team, we're a lot better with both of them.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ May 26, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Ching left out which I'm ok with, but the only thing i'm really confused about is Robbie Findley making the team. I dont know how that happened, I would have preferred Ching. Also, I'm very happy to see Gomez and Torres make this team, we're a lot better with both of them.

Team pretty much as expected with the exception of Findley over Ching. Personally i feel that was a bad decision but we werent at training camp the past couple weeks.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

Yeah, Holden is fine. The US isn't deep enough to cut players that are on Premier League clubs like Holden. He is a strong right side midfielder and the US doesn't have a ton of that.

Rogers is a good winger, but he's only 23 and we actually have some depth at midfield, especially on the left side.

I think the US has a very solid midfield, probably their deepest. Up top and in the back is awful though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
Yep very good news for us, certainly makes our group a lot more wide open now. All of the teams would be fancying their chances at making it to the 16 I would say.

Its going to get ugly between you and I very soon.

I look forward to it Slav.

I don't think Germany is the lock the come out of our group also, although they SHOULD make it out, although a lot teams "should have" over the years. They don't have a striker in good form (Gomez and the other Bayern Munich striker whose name escapes me had poor seasons), and obviously losing Ballack takes away a lot of experience in midfield (although I don't rate him much as a player now, he hurt Chelski more then he helped them this season IMO).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 29, 2010 -> 03:33 AM)
I look forward to it Slav.

I don't think Germany is the lock the come out of our group also, although they SHOULD make it out, although a lot teams "should have" over the years. They don't have a striker in good form (Gomez and the other Bayern Munich striker whose name escapes me had poor seasons), and obviously losing Ballack takes away a lot of experience in midfield (although I don't rate him much as a player now, he hurt Chelski more then he helped them this season IMO).

I guess in an ideal world, Serbia and Australia make it out, but we'll see. I agree with you on Germany. This might be one of the must inexperienced teams they'll have ever featured. And Ghana is going to have a tough time without Essien, though they're still quite talented and athletic. And a plus for them is that their coach is Serbian, however, Antic has Serbia playing like no other Serbian/Yugoslavian team before.

Well the USA just beat Turkey 2-1. Much, much better second half.

Torres just booked a spot in the starting 11. He was fantastic in every facet of the game today. Findley surprised too, he was dangerous. Gooch was much better than last game too so that was good to see. And Bornstein was just terrible, I hope we dpont see him in South Africa at all.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 29, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Well the USA just beat Turkey 2-1. Much, much better second half.

Torres just booked a spot in the starting 11. He was fantastic in every facet of the game today. Findley surprised too, he was dangerous. Gooch was much better than last game too so that was good to see. And Bornstein was just terrible, I hope we dpont see him in South Africa at all.

Torres is a stud, he had an awesome game. I'll be shocked if he's not in the starting 11. Overall just a great 2nd half from the US, looking good heading to South Africa.