Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
True, but even Pienaar wasn't very good at all today and they were still very competitive.

And with the crowd behind them, I think they'll go onto win against Uruguay (Australians hate Uruguay when it comes to Soccer BTW).

I don't. Both teams pulled out draws against better teams. Forlan is extremely dangerous up front. I think Uruguay advances from the group.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
I don't. Both teams pulled out draws against better teams. Forlan is extremely dangerous up front. I think Uruguay advances from the group.

I second this notion.

My picks for tomorrow:

South Korea 1:1 Greece, but I can see Greece taking this one 1:0

Argentina will put on a offensive clinic and win 3:0, maybe 4:1

Finally I see England edging team USA 2:1 after a very very close game.

With that said, GO TEAM USA!!!

South Africa goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune was disappointed his team didn't get loud enough support from the home fans in the 1-1 draw with Mexico in the opening match of the World Cup.

"I'm disappointed that we didn't blow a lot of vuvuzelas, but let's hopes in the next game we'll blow more," Khune said. "There were not enough. It was more like a Mexico home game."

Are you serious? Louder BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZ? f*** the world cup, I'm gonna watch something else.

USA! Great freaking result. England's offensive strategy was peculiar. Their wingers were able to get open on the outside, but the US was winning most of the balls in the air. I think England's best strategy would be to fake a play to the outside and rip a shot from 20 or so yards out. Work it through the middle. Maybe Howard's great saves got in their heads. He was superb with his rebound control.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Were you married or with your now wife in 2006? What was the quarterfinal game between Mexico-Argentina like for you and your family?

We've been married since 2002, it was a blast when Argentina and Mexico played, watched it at her folks house and it was fun watching them suffer through the entire game until Maxi Rodriguez put in the game winner, they take their futbol so damn serious, lol.

I took it in stride because I've always liked Argentina in soccer and seeing my wife happy made me happy too...plus my grandpa on my mom's side was from Mendoza, Argentina so it was win/win for me.

That being said GO MEXICO...GO ARGENTINA!!!

Although it's a different sport and today was only a draw (although a solid result to be sure against the Brits obviously), I kept thinking Ryan Miller in the first USA vs. Canada game watching Tim Howard today, he was ridiculous. Hopefully the U.S. can take care of business in a big way the next two games and somehow get the #1 spot in the group.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Findley starting ahead of Buddle. Bradley going out on a limb there. Buddle scores 2 in the Australia game and sits for Findley who couldn't finish to save his life in that game.

Yeah, I would hope this is the last time we see Findley start. I understand the speed thing but he isnt going to be a Davies type replacement. I'd have no problem if Findley came on in the 70th minute or so as a sub with his speed.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
The Tim Howard/Robert Green comparisons to the MLB, NFL and NHL really irk the living s*** out me. Twitter was absolutely UNBEARABLE this afternoon.

Well Green gave up about the worst goal you can give up, and Howard made some outstanding saves. I'm not sure I see any sort of comparisons between that and MLB or the NFL though since neither has goalies.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
The Tim Howard/Robert Green comparisons to the MLB, NFL and NHL really irk the living s*** out me. Twitter was absolutely UNBEARABLE this afternoon.

I don't know what you mean, which comparisons they were making, but dude cost England two points on a ball that basically every other World Cup goalie would stop. In the long run, I'm sure that England advances to the 2nd round, but that was absolutely awful, in a game that England played better and he cost them two points.

I agree that the goal Green let in was horrible, but it's hard to say whether or not the game would have gone the same way or not had that goal not been scored. The US decided to play very conservatively once that goal was scored, basically playing for the draw. Not saying they would have scored another goal had that one not gone in, but they may have attacked more and had more opportunities that could have resulted in a goal. You never really know.

As a West Ham fan I felt pretty bad for Green last night, but you just can't make those type of errors in a World Cup, David James will get the nod next game you'd think.

Playing Heskey next to Rooney was just a horrible decision by Capello, should have gone with Crouch.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:04 AM)
So should I root for a draw between Algeria and Slovenia, Or is it better if one of them win?

A draw would have been ideal but Algerian keeper did his best Robert Green impression. After watching this game, the US should move onto the second round. If not then it will be a major failure.