Official 2010 World Cup Thread

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
Horrible offsides call, the defender was standing at the goal line.

Since I'm here on vacation in Mexico, I'm watching it on Mexican TV and even they are saying it was a good offside call by the refs...there's a defensive player standing at the goal line!

Is there some rule I'm not familiar with that you can be a defensive player, stand on the goal line and still have an offside call go your way??I don't get it.

Mexico could easily be up 2 goals at halftime...

If you are behind the goalkeeper even if there's a guy on the line, it's still off-side.

Franco's missed too many of his chances (same story for West Ham this season pretty much). Time to get Hernandez on.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Since I'm here on vacation in Mexico, I'm watching it on Mexican TV and even they are saying it was a good offside call by the refs...there's a defensive player standing at the goal line!

Is there some rule I'm not familiar with that you can be a defensive player, stand on the goal line and still have an offside call go your way??I don't get it.

Mexico could easily be up 2 goals at halftime...

I was told that 2 players have to be between the the offensive player and the goal line. Most cases its the GK and then a defender but it doesnt always have to be if the GK gets caught up field.

Confusing as hell.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I was told that 2 players have to be between the the offensive player and the goal line. Most cases its the GK and then a defender but it doesnt always have to be if the GK gets caught up field.

Confusing as hell.

Interesting. Well there's my stupid American soccer ignorance showing lol.

I think these ESPN announcers suck serious butt. No emotion at all.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
Interesting. Well there's my stupid American soccer ignorance showing lol.

Soccer is my fifth fave sport behind baseball, football, basketball and hockey, I'm Mexican-American and I didn't know that either

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
1-1 a pretty fair result I would have thought.

South Africa would want to work on their off-side trap defence going forward though.

They better or they will finish the group stages with just 1 point. But either way, I dont see South Africa getting another result from Uruguay or France.

Always the same problem with the Mexican National Team...they have to create many chances to barely get 1 goal while the good teams score with less chances...

If SA let's France and Uruguay control the ball like they let Mexico do in the first half, they'll get routed.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Always the same problem with the Mexican National Team...they have to create many chances to barely get 1 goal while the good teams score with less chances...

If SA let's France and Uruguay control the ball like they let Mexico do in the first half, they'll get routed.

Were you married or with your now wife in 2006? What was the quarterfinal game between Mexico-Argentina like for you and your family?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
If you are behind the goalkeeper even if there's a guy on the line, it's still off-side.

The announcers didn't even mention that rule, but it was referenced in the studio at halftime. Horrible rule IMO.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
The announcers didn't even mention that rule, but it was referenced in the studio at halftime. Horrible rule IMO.

I didn't realise it was a rule and I've been watching football for a good 10 years or so now, just because I've never actually seen it come into play before.

South Africa can beat Uruguay IMO. Uruguay have Forlan and Suarez, but if you can stop those 2 they don't have much else.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
South Africa can beat Uruguay IMO. Uruguay have Forlan and Suarez, but if you can stop those 2 they don't have much else.

Yeah, but really South Africa doesn't have much outside of Pienaar.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Group A is going to come down to whoever can score a goal.

France is so brutal to watch. I was starting to think they'd get a typical late winner even before that red. At least it sets up for an exciting final day of matches in that group.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
France is so brutal to watch. I was starting to think they'd get a typical late winner even before that red. At least it sets up for an exciting final day of matches in that group.

Anelka looked brutal (from what I saw and I was back and forth between Sox and this).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
Yeah, but really South Africa doesn't have much outside of Pienaar.

True, but even Pienaar wasn't very good at all today and they were still very competitive.

And with the crowd behind them, I think they'll go onto win against Uruguay (Australians hate Uruguay when it comes to Soccer BTW).

And Domenech is simply a horrible, horrible manager.

Anelka up front on his own, Malouda on the bench, and they played so negatively.