Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Algeria's keeper just did his best Robert Green impression to let Slovenia get 3 pts out of the game. Ridiculous, both those teams look very beatable. But now USA's game friday against Slovenia just became a must win.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
Algeria's keeper just did his best Robert Green impression to let Slovenia get 3 pts out of the game. Ridiculous, both those teams look very beatable. But now USA's game friday against Slovenia just became a must win.

Well the US team should beat Slovenia but a tie keeps us in it. I doubt England will get less than 6 points out of their next 2 games. But you dont want to leave anything up to chance.

The bar I watched the game at yesterday was slam packed (standing room only for many, though I had a chair) and the end of the game produced a great moment in American history... As soon as the game ended, the bar started blaring "America, f*** Yeah!" from Team America: World Police and everyone sang along... then they mellowed and played "God Bless the USA" and everyone sang it at the top of their lungs. It was pretty awesome/hilarious.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
After watching this game, the US should move onto the second round. If not then it will be a major failure.

Completely agree. Anything less than 4 points in the next 2 matches would be an embarrassment. That would bring the US' total to 5, which if England wins their next 2 as expected, gets the US through. I actually thought Algeria was the better team, but the red card was devastating.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm absolutely devastated. On the verge of tears.

I feel bad about my comment in the other thread now, but I was shocked that Ghana actually looked the better side. Serbia HAS to get a result against Germany and beat Australia. If they only get a draw against Germany they're still on the bubble with a win over Australia. Pretty shocking start, but this is a really tough group.

US did ok. Some defensive breakdowns on the outside but they were all over the jump balls and our goalie was insane. Was very fun to watch the first game in Europe but I look back to getting into the US for Game 2 and catching the game with American commentators. I just don't understand the french ones all that well, haha.

Huge game for the US on Friday.

Well I thought that may happen tonight, we weren't in that great form leading up to the match, and our central defenders looked old and slow, and we got what we deserved.

And with Cahill to miss the Ghana match it's gonna be very hard to qualify from here.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
I feel bad about my comment in the other thread now, but I was shocked that Ghana actually looked the better side. Serbia HAS to get a result against Germany and beat Australia. If they only get a draw against Germany they're still on the bubble with a win over Australia. Pretty shocking start, but this is a really tough group.

Ghana looked more athletic, but I wouldn't say the looked entirely the better side. Krasic and Zigic had the 2 best chances by far next to Ghana's missed diving header which would have been tough either way.

Krasic did nothing. Zigic was slow and lacked endurance. Pantelic was non-existent. Milijas' name wasn't ever said until he was subbed for. And despite Lukovic's 2 yellows, he was probably our best defensemen. Kuzmanovic better be careful when he gets back to Serbia because he's the most hated man in the country right now. Milan Jovanovic, the future Liverpool winger was the only player who showed up and played like he wanted to win. Essentially we have to win against both Germany and Australia, which is entirely feasible, but they'll need Ghana to get a draw with Germany and a loss to Australia hopefully.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Ghana looked more athletic, but I wouldn't say the looked entirely the better side. Krasic and Zigic had the 2 best chances by far next to Ghana's missed diving header which would have been tough either way.

I think Ghana hit a post too. The stats look pretty even so I guess my surprise was that Ghana was not outclassed by Serbia. Serbia certainly wasn't the better team and I thought they would be a stronger side than their performance from today forgetting the last 20 minutes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
I think Ghana hit a post too. The stats look pretty even so I guess my surprise that Ghana was not outclassed by Serbia. Serbia certainly wasn't the better team and I thought they would be a stronger side than their performance from today forgetting the last 20 minutes.

Ghana hit the post on a very weak header that likely would have been saved by Stojkovic had there been no post there. But I certainly agree that it was a disappointing performance. I don't like the term "outclassed" thought. It's a bad matchup. Both teams play a very different style.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
I don't like the term "outclassed" thought. It's a bad matchup. Both teams play a very different style.

True. I expected Serbia to be the superior team and win the game unless Ghana scored on a set piece or got a Green like break. They weren't the superior team in any way. Semantics.

I thought Ghana looked slightly stronger in the first half but not to the point where I thought Serbia was being dominated. Then until around the 70 minute mark I thought it was even before Serbia really came on strong after the red card. Ghana got that goal but that was just dumb luck.

Felt like I was watching a fight where Ghana was jabbing Serbia and taking more points that way but Serbia landed more power punches but not enough to win the fight.

Watched the US match at a bar in NYC. Incredible atmosphere. Bar erupted when that goal went in, USA chants started every time Howard made a save in the second half. I really wish the game Friday was an afternoon game so I could go down again. It was definitely a lucky goal, but I thought it was a fair result. The US had some chances and didn't look outclassed. But Jose Torres had to be in that game in the second half. I dont know what Bradley was doing there.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
And you could be right BLAZE, Italy in a bit of trouble at HT.

Italy is old.

How awesome would it be if Giuseppe Rossi had decided to play for the US? Talk about a talent we could have used. Same for that Serbian defender.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
Almost... Nice call. I don't follow soccer really, but I never would have imagined Paraguay would almost upset Italy.

Paraguay finished just one point behind Brazil in qualifying and actually won one more game than Brazil. They have been to World Cups before and had moderate success. This Italy is old and they are really lucky to be an easier group compared to others.