NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)

The reasons are all pretty terrible, btw.

My favorite part-

Remember the Miami Heat's free agent pickups. They signed LeBron James and Chris Bosh to add to Dwayne Wade. After those signings, the team was filled with scrubs.

Yet dominated the Bulls...

I'm putting on my tinfoil hat here. CP3's trade was nixed by the league, he'll leave as a free agent and sign with the Lakers after the season. So either trade him and get players back, or let him walk for nothing. Could Stern be ACTIVELY trying to screw over the hornets so they can fold it? Just a thought.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
johnhollinger John Hollinger

One other note: I'd rather play out the year with Dwight Howard than take that pile of garbage New Jersey is offering.

I don't get this at all. Since when is Brook Lopez garbage?

The Paul trade I can see the issue, they're getting back like $26 million in salary and the three best pieces are over 30. That's not a rebuilding move at all, that's a "let's try to salvage at least some of our credibility and throw a 35 win team out there instead of a 15 win team."

The New Jersey offer is totally different. Lopez is 23 and only making about $3 million this year. He's a WAY better asset, even if he can get an extension after this season. Sure, we're talking about a deal for arguably the second best player in the league, but when have you ever seen a team get a better piece than that in a deal for a superstar? It's not really possible to get a totally fair deal unless you're getting a star-caliber player back, which I can't recall ever happening.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
I'm putting on my tinfoil hat here. CP3's trade was nixed by the league, he'll leave as a free agent and sign with the Lakers after the season. So either trade him and get players back, or let him walk for nothing. Could Stern be ACTIVELY trying to screw over the hornets so they can fold it? Just a thought.

I don't believe the Lakers would be able to sign CP3 as a free agent.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Well, my point still stands. he'll walk at the end of the year and sign with somebody else.

Ok, then, the NBA clearly does not want the Hornets to default. Hence not letting them do so. They want the team to retain value for a possible suitor.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Well, my point still stands. he'll walk at the end of the year and sign with somebody else.

But the prospective from the various owners (who all own the Hornets and have to pay the salaries going forward) is that they just got dooped into accepting an extra 50+ million in salaries over the next few years, all while one other owner gets one of the best pg's in the game and saves something like 40 million under the cap.

Simmons made fun of the Gilbert email. Except for the Washington General line (which I get his point and kind of agree), he made a solid case. This isn't just some fair deal with players. It's taking advantage of a situation that the whole lockout was trying to avoid.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
What more could the Bulls have done? They made possibly the best offer of any team for Howard. Howard just doesn't want Chicago. That sucks, but it isn't the fault of management.

Jason Richardson is still out there. Rip Hamilton still might be amnestied. Hell, even Jamal Crawford is still out there. Even a pipe dream like Afflalo or Nick Young (no chance of either signing here affordably) hasn't signed yet.

The fact that the Bulls didn't pay $8M per year for Caron Butler is smart. The fact that Bradon Roy is retiring is a good thing for the Bulls. What more would you have had them do?

It's just a feeling that the Bulls are ultimately going to end up with a VC type player, someone who ultimately is going to be a big waste of money and not really help this team at all.

For those that know the Bulls cap numbers better than I, what would it take to be able to sign a guy like Affalo or Young? Can they not move around some of the reserve guys to get some more money freed up?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
OK, I can see the Rockets and OBVIOUSLY the Lakers being upset. The Hornets? Let's recap once again because I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

Hornets give up BEST PLAYER IN DEAL BY FAR. They don't get back the non-Paul best player in the deal (Gasol). They take on another $20 million in borderline all-stars and roleplayers, get older, and get ONE pick back that will be in the 20's. WHAT THE f***! Thank god the league has stepped in and intervened.

Recap: Hornets losing Paul would rather get than 3 good players for him than nothing.

This trade was stopped because people didn't want the Lakers to improve, not because it was bad for the Hornets. The Nuggets were in the same situation with Carmelo and they got far less (Wilson Chandler​, Raymond Felton​, Danilo Gallinari​, and Timofey Mozgov), but that trade didn't get blocked.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
It's just a feeling that the Bulls are ultimately going to end up with a VC type player, someone who ultimately is going to be a big waste of money and not really help this team at all.

For those that know the Bulls cap numbers better than I, what would it take to be able to sign a guy like Affalo or Young? Can they not move around some of the reserve guys to get some more money freed up?

They really just have the MLE. They're $3.5 million over the cap, so they'd have to cut $8.5 million or so off their total or so just to be able to offer the same contract as with the MLE. Even if they amnesty'd Boozer, they'd have just under $10 mil in space (and have to fill two holes instead of one).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)

Afflalo and Young would require their teams agreeing to a sign and trade as well. Both very unlikely. There just aren't a lot of viable options for the Bulls. We need to pray that JRichardson agrees to take $5 mil per.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
They really just have the MLE. They're $3.5 million over the cap, so they'd have to cut $8.5 million or so off their total or so just to be able to offer the same contract as with the MLE. Even if they amnesty'd Boozer, they'd have just under $10 mil in space (and have to fill two holes instead of one).

Wonder if anyone would bite on a Gibson/Korver, Gibson/Brewer or Gibson/Bogans deal.

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

Dwight Howard met with NJ owner Mikhail Prokhorov & GM Billy King Thurs night in Miami, sources say. Orlando was unaware if meeting

Apparently, NBA players just cannot avoid Miami or LA. It's physically impossible for them to not be in either location every chance they get.