NBA Offseason Thread

I'm really starting to get worried that the Bulls are going to be left out completely.

- Johnson gets a max deal from Atlanta, where he wants to stay and can make more money

- Bosh gets a sign and trade to Miami since they have more pieces. Wade/Bosh and whatever role guys they can bring in would be a pretty good team.

- I don't want Amare, he's going to break in 6 months and the bulls would be stuck with that contract, crippling them for years to come.

- Lebron either stays in Cleveland (75% chance IMO) and signs a small extension (2-3 years) so that if he doesn't win a title he can do this whole process over again, OR he goes to the Nets (5% chance) and gets sold on the idea that the Russian Cuban will make him a multi-billionaire due to his connections.

- David Lee follows Lebron to Cleveland or the Nets.

Bulls get nothing, lose Hinrich, and have to wait a year and hope Carmelo doesn't sign an extension.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Gotta resist the urge to stay awake... I need to go to sleep and relax and hear the news tomorrow

As I suspected, I went to sleep and woke up and missed nothing. Glad I didn't hang around.

Heck, I was even online for the first signing! Gooden to Milwaukee.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
I'm really starting to get worried that the Bulls are going to be left out completely.

- Johnson gets a max deal from Atlanta, where he wants to stay and can make more money

- Bosh gets a sign and trade to Miami since they have more pieces. Wade/Bosh and whatever role guys they can bring in would be a pretty good team.

- I don't want Amare, he's going to break in 6 months and the bulls would be stuck with that contract, crippling them for years to come.

- Lebron either stays in Cleveland (75% chance IMO) and signs a small extension (2-3 years) so that if he doesn't win a title he can do this whole process over again, OR he goes to the Nets (5% chance) and gets sold on the idea that the Russian Cuban will make him a multi-billionaire due to his connections.

- David Lee follows Lebron to Cleveland or the Nets.

Bulls get nothing, lose Hinrich, and have to wait a year and hope Carmelo doesn't sign an extension.

I hate LBJ with a passion but for some reason I just don't see him going back. This was their year to do something and they blew it, they aren't really going to have a big man that can play an entire game with Shaq and Big Z being older. How could he pass up playing with Dwayne Wade or Rose and Noah vs coming back to play with Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison? That is just my thoughts personally as you can tell he is about the spotlight, he wants to be the number one and most popular player in the world and that still belongs to Kobe. He isn't going to win in Cleveland, he has given them 7 years and the best they came up with was an almost 40 year old Shaq

I think LBJ is going to Cleveland, but the only real arguement that I can wrap my head around for him *not* going back would be that he wouldn't have even tested free agency, and would've signed an extension with the Cavs during the season. Unless he changed his mind. Damn mind changing.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
I think LBJ is going to Cleveland, but the only real arguement that I can wrap my head around for him *not* going back would be that he wouldn't have even tested free agency, and would've signed an extension with the Cavs during the season. Unless he changed his mind. Damn mind changing.

THAT IS THE POINT.

The argument for why Lebron wouldnt go back is:

Cleveland is a much more attractive destination with Lebron. If he wanted to win with Cleveland wouldnt he be pitching Cleveland to players like Wade is Miami?

They dont have salary for a big guy but they still could be doing something to improve.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)

Cleveland is a much more attractive destination with Lebron. If he wanted to win with Cleveland wouldnt he be pitching Cleveland to players like Wade is Miami?

They dont have salary for a big guy but they still could be doing something to improve.

They don't have any room to add a player, and they really have the talent to trade for someone. If he goes back, they will likely have a similar team to last year's, which isn't good enough to win. They will have to dump salaries or something to clear cap room for free agents...except next year's free agents are re-upping now to avoid the possibility of a lock out. So who is going to be out there that will make them better quickly? He could be looking at another few years before they are really in shape to win.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)

He probably tried but the Cavs don't have the free money right now to do anything. I don't think they wanted to unload everyone for the possibility of bringing in another max FA guy unless they were assured that Lebron was coming back.

In the end there's two major hurdles for the Bulls or Nets (or any other potential suitor): (1) money and (2) his "hometown" connection. To me it's like growing up near Comiskey, being a huge Sox fan, being drafted and playing for good Sox teams, and then being offered to go to a team like the Yankees that could potentially offer you a better chance at a title (but no guarantee) but also a lot less money. I don't think it's a slam dunk that you leave.

Lebron doesn't need to play in New York or for a russion zillionaire to make more money. He can do that in Cleveland because he can rule the league from anywhere. I liked Rich Bucher's point that really the Cavs have a pretty simple argument - we've lead the league in wins for 2 years in a row and you were a game 5 away from beating the Celtics. So we're not THAT far away. Resign and we'll work our asses off to get you some additional help.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)

if this is the case i think the bulls will pull the deal off the table since nothing is final right now.....

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
He probably tried but the Cavs don't have the free money right now to do anything. I don't think they wanted to unload everyone for the possibility of bringing in another max FA guy unless they were assured that Lebron was coming back.

In the end there's two major hurdles for the Bulls or Nets (or any other potential suitor): (1) money and (2) his "hometown" connection. To me it's like growing up near Comiskey, being a huge Sox fan, being drafted and playing for good Sox teams, and then being offered to go to a team like the Yankees that could potentially offer you a better chance at a title (but no guarantee) but also a lot less money. I don't think it's a slam dunk that you leave.

Lebron doesn't need to play in New York or for a russion zillionaire to make more money. He can do that in Cleveland because he can rule the league from anywhere. I liked Rich Bucher's point that really the Cavs have a pretty simple argument - we've lead the league in wins for 2 years in a row and you were a game 5 away from beating the Celtics. So we're not THAT far away. Resign and we'll work our asses off to get you some additional help.

That's a pretty dumb argument. Look at teams like the early 90's Blazers or the Malone-Stockton Jazz or the early 2000's Kings or the Mavs/Suns of the last 5 years. Regular season success and ultimately winning it all are two entirely different things. Cleveland has been exposed not once but three times (2007 Finals) in the last 4 years. Yeah, they can win 55-60 games in their sleep (the East sucks). But they can't contend with the elite. And there's really no legitimate reason to believe they'll be able to get the cast around Lebron required to get to that next step anytime soon.

Just because the Cavs dont have cap room today, doesnt mean that they couldnt have tried to make a few trades to clear some space for an additional player. Maybe not a max salary, but still could have done something to get Lebron help.

The fact they have no commitment from Lebron basically put the Cavs in stasis, they cant do anything until they know what he does. If you really want your team to win, you would never want them in that position. Youd be trying to work out a way to improve the team.

Bucher's argument for Cleveland was ridiculous btw. Who cares if they were close last year, or the year before. Other teams are out there IMPROVING. If Miami landed Bosh and some one else to go with Wade and Cleveland stayed the same, do you like the Cavs' chances? If the Bulls landed Bosh and some one else, do you like the Cavs' chances over the next 6 years?

As stated above, the Cavs dont really have a way to trade for more talent, they dont have payroll flexibility, so why are they all of a sudden going to be the best team in the East? How many Eastern titles have the Cavs won? How many Finals games have the Cavs played?

If Lebron goes back to the Cavs, they arent clearly the favorite in the East. And depending on other moves, they may actually be considered the 2 or 3rd best team, if not worse.

But yeah, Lebron should go back because last year the Cavs had the best record in the East, home court advantage and couldnt even make it out of the East. I guess if they werent good enough last year, why would they have a better chance this year?