2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
Workman has a bit more upside then some of the previous "safe picks" we've taken. I like him, i'd prefer a couple people to him, but i see Workman as one of the first arms from this years drafts to make the majors.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Workman. He's not a real exciting guy, but it could be worse. I'm still hoping for Harvey though if they go the college pitcher route. He fits the direction they seem to be going recently of the higher upside college player, too.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
I wouldn't be unhappy with Workman. He's not a real exciting guy, but it could be worse. I'm still hoping for Harvey though if they go the college pitcher route. He fits the direction they seem to be going recently of the higher upside college player, too.

I like Workman's curve and he's been trying to develop a cutter over the course of the year. He seems like a guy whom we could easily work with on somethings.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Sick of "safe" picks.

It's funny the trend is to say sick of safe picks when the Sox haven't drafted a safe pick in the first round since '06. Poreda may have had a limited upside, but he was anything but safe (I guess that speaks to how bad of a pick it was).

I think I'd be happy with Workman, he's got a plus fastball that can touch 95-96 with good movement, a good curveball and plus makeup/demeanor, I'd like him over a lot of other college players, at least he has some plus tools to work with.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
It's funny the trend is to say sick of safe picks when the Sox haven't drafted a safe pick in the first round since '06. Poreda may have had a limited upside, but he was anything but safe (I guess that speaks to how bad of a pick it was).

I liked him, Gordon, and Mitchell.

The problem is, everyone talks about the normal type of Sox draft pick, and it describes Kyle McCulloch more than any of those 3.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:47 AM)
Apparently, Rendon was drafted in the 27th round by the Braves in 2008. I wish we had half the scouting team that they have.

Hmmm. Rendon was well known and highly thought of in 2008, but just had a strong Rice commitment. The Braves took a late flyer on him in the off chance that he decided to sign, but obviously that didn't happen. I wouldn't call it a great scouting job on behalf of the Braves.

That said, the Braves have done a great job scouting latin America recently with arms such as Julio Teheran (2nd best pitching prospect in the minors right now for my money), Randall Delgado and Robinson Lopez coming through the system.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:56 AM)
I'm praying that this organization is watching the team they've put on the field and making the choice to spend some money and taking a chance.

Not a chance in hell they go over slot, especially based on how this season is going.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Hmmm. Rendon was well known and highly thought of in 2008, but just had a strong Rice commitment. The Braves took a late flyer on him in the off chance that he decided to sign, but obviously that didn't happen. I wouldn't call it a great scouting job on behalf of the Braves.

That said, the Braves have done a great job scouting latin America recently with arms such as Julio Teheran (2nd best pitching prospect in the minors right now for my money), Randall Delgado and Robinson Lopez coming through the system.

Not to mention Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus (although they foolishly traded them for a rental).

Ranaudo had a bounce-back outing last week. First good outing in a while. Showed plus stuff. Probably won't change his draft stock much though. He's going to have to sign for above slot, which means he'll fall to a team like the Angels/Dodgers/Red Sox/Yankees.

Such a shame how poorly the organization manages its farm system. I really look forward to the day Rick Hahn steps in because I think he better appreciates the value of putting additional finances into the minor league organization.

Trent (Knoxville): Bryan Morgado is a hard throwing lefty who has not had much success in a starters role the last 2 seasons. Do you see a team moving him to the bullpen as a pro to move him quickly through the minors?

John Manuel: He's a reliever for sure. I'm not sure what to make of Morgado; he was worse this year, in results and stuff, than he was last year. I'm guessing he goes out in the 3-to-5 range but I don't see him moving quickly if he doesn't learn to throw strikes. Not sure that the track record for pitchers with 7.90 ERAs in college is that hot.

I know the Sox will not apparently redraft him. No idea if that was the decision of the Sox or Morgado.

William (Salt Lake City, Utah): Can you tell us any other notable players that are Boras clients in this years draft other then Bryce Harper ?

Conor Glassey: James Paxton, Anthony Ranaudo, Manny Machado, Matt Harvey, Christian Colon, LeVon Washington, Gary Brown and Seth Blair are some others

I didn't realize both of my Titans were repped by Boras.

Harvey, Ranaudo and Paxton are the 3 pitchers who intrigue me most at our pick. I'd love Gary Brown with our 2nd rounder but he'll be gone before than.

And than there is Lavon Washington. Loaded with tools, didn't sign last year (projects as a top of the order Cf'er or 2nd baseman), but is repped by Boras. Most reports have him projected to go in the 2nd. Damn would he look good.

The Fullerton regional will be televised. A good game to watch will be the Titans/Minnesota game. Fullerton is starting its freshmen Dylan Florio. Guy is considered a very good prospect with a chance to eventually be a 1st round pick. Still very young so who knows how he will show up. Florio had been there Sunday starter. Minnesota is starting Seth Rosin, who is a tall righty with good velocity whose seen his stock rise. He could be a real nice guy to draft and either turn into a premium reliever or see if he can continue to develop and start.

He currently has a pretty good FB/Change-up combo. Evidently has plus command. Pitches in the 93-95 range and has maintained his velocity late into games.

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/05/14/seth-rosin-qa/

Above is a link to a Q&A with Rosen.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Well, this is a cheerful thought. "The Georgia Tech righty could go much higher, as he's the safest pitcher in the draft, but he's anything but an upside guy."

That has Wyatt Allen, Lance Broadway, and Kyle McCulloch written all over that.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
That has Wyatt Allen, Lance Broadway, and Kyle McCulloch written all over that.

Deck is way better than those guys. Harvey seems like a lock for Arizona right now. Keep in mind that the guy on fanhouse yesterday seemed 100 percent sure the Sox wouldn't take McGuire.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
Deck is way better than those guys. Harvey seems like a lock for Arizona right now. Keep in mind that the guy on fanhouse yesterday seemed 100 percent sure the Sox wouldn't take McGuire.

Indeed. McGuire is a top 10 talent despite the safety. I'd much rather have Deck than Workman/Wojo/Loux/Eibner etc.