2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

After his three-homer game against Seton Hall, Mike Olt of UCONN is now at 20 homers for the season. He's made a nice adjustment to 3b (from SS) this year, and he'll be available in the later rounds. I'm a bit of a homer, but i'd like to bring him in.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Wimmers will be returning to the mound tonight after being sidelined with Hamstring issues even though he won't be at 100%. Game is versus Minnesota at 6 Central on the Big Ten Network. I know he isn't the sexiest arm in the draft, but he's a legitimate mid first round candidate and an option at 13. Definitely something to watch before the Sox/Hawks start.

C/OF Mike Kvasnicka on the Gophers is also someone to take note of. Likely a 2nd round talent.

Good article at BP about tools over statistics when it comes to drafting. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=10931

Throw Tool: Austin Wilson, OF, Harvard Westlake HS (CA)

On a tools level, no high school player ranks with Wilson. He's 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, he has plenty of strength and leverage in his swing, is an average to tick-above runner, and his arm is an absolute cannon, and the best in the draft. He's a raw product with length in his swing and the need for at-bats against better competition in order to improve his pitch recognition, but the athletic package alone will land him early in the second half of the first round.

Please, please, please let us take this guy!

I'm becoming more and more fond of Castellanos. Mayo thinks he won't be as tough a sign as many people seem to think and that he wants to get his pro career started ASAP.

It's hard to not get your hopes up with some of the projectable young bats that will be available at 13. It's unfortunate that college pitcher is all I've been hearing so far.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 23, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
It's hard to not get your hopes up with some of the projectable young bats that will be available at 13. It's unfortunate that college pitcher is all I've been hearing so far.

Unfortunately our team usually operates in the 'win-now' mode and looks for top picks that can contribute quickly which i don't think is the way to build a successful organization. Forward thinking is the way to go where you build your system help down the road, if you do that successfully for several years in a row then you constantly have major league prospects ready to step in when you need them instead of constantly playing catch up and drafting finished products with lower ceilings instead of high talent prospects. Several teams around the majors do this very well like the Braves, Red Sox, Yankees and the rival team from up north who will remain nameless. It seems like the Braves have a big time prospect getting called up just about every year or so, like Tommy Hanson last year, Heyward this year, Saltalamacchia, etc... It just takes a few years of drafting for this strategy to pay off, that entails a level of patience that I'm not sure KW possesses.

What's cheaper, spending 7-8 mil a year on your draft for a dozen or so talented players or spending 10+ million a season on one free agent signing of a guy in his late 20's or early 30's, this is just one player, not a whole crop of talent. I know there's a level of risk involved in drafting this way, but if you have a scouting department worth their salt, the law of averages will allow you to get enough good players to make it worth it.

Edited by bighurt4life

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
2 weeks until draft day.

Andy Seiler - Mock Draft # 7

He has Anthony Ranaudo at #26 and Austin Wilson slipping out of the first round? I can never get a good read on Seiler, i don't know if he has a background here, or he's just doing junior scouting like the rest of us.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
He has Anthony Ranaudo at #26 and Austin Wilson slipping out of the first round? I can never get a good read on Seiler, i don't know if he has a background here, or he's just doing junior scouting like the rest of us.

Pretty sure he is rather legitimate. Frequent scouting trips and gets most of his information from scouts/reputable inside sources.

Ranaudo has been dropping hard. BA noted that he might drop out of the 1st round with his injury issues, weak performances, and Boras representation. Wilson is harder to get a read on, but supposedly his pitch recognition is becoming very worrisome and of course the signability issues.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
i know Ranaudo has been used in relief lately, i imagine that coupled with his injury is contributing to his sharp fall. I just don't think he'll fall that far.

Things are starting to solidify a bit more with only 14 days left. Should be interesting to see how others see some of these players this week. Mayo will be posting his 10 - 20 mock, and I believe we are due something from Piliere. Sickels just posted his top 50 as well.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
Wilson is harder to get a read on, but supposedly his pitch recognition is becoming very worrisome and of course the signability issues.

I keep telling people don't be surprised to see a guy like that slip out the first. (or even the supp. round) There have been prospects in the past that were hyped to be pick that early only to really slip for whatever reason.

Keith Law has us taking Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citad

Says Sox are looking for college pitchers who won't demand huge money. I asked someone about Austin Wilson today, and said there's no way we're drafting another outfielder in the first round.