2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
After hearing Stone and Hawk talk, the White Sox will never take a high school pitcher with their first pick.

As long as they don't go with the safe broadway/mcullough clone I will be fine. You need to start to get some impact players, because impact type talent is hard to find.

This might be a stupid question, and not even realistic, so don't kill me.

I have read that the 2010 draft is weak, a few good players at the top, then a bunch of question marks after. I have also read that the 2011 draft has A LOT of great talent. My question is, can the Sox not sign there first round pick this year, and then just have 2 top 15 picks next year? Because don't you get another pick if you didn't sign your pick the previous draft?

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
This might be a stupid question, and not even realistic, so don't kill me.

I have read that the 2010 draft is weak, a few good players at the top, then a bunch of question marks after. I have also read that the 2011 draft has A LOT of great talent. My question is, can the Sox not sign there first round pick this year, and then just have 2 top 15 picks next year? Because don't you get another pick if you didn't sign your pick the previous draft?

They could do that. The 2011 pick would be unprotected though, meaning you'd likely have to reach for a signable player therefore making the whole process pointless.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
They could do that. The 2011 pick would be unprotected though, meaning you'd likely have to reach for a signable player therefore making the whole process pointless.

Like how the Nationals took Storen last season, even though that was a damn good pick. Given how cheap our organization is with the draft, I wouldn't be a fan of this type of decision-making.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
Like how the Nationals took Storen last season, even though that was a damn good pick. Given how cheap our organization is with the draft, I wouldn't be a fan of this type of decision-making.

Storen is good, but is any reliever really top 10 worthy? Even first round worthy? I don't think so.

I agree though, I wouldn't like to see the Sox employ this strategy.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)

I see. I didn't know that pick would be unprotected...that is a risky move then.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)

That's why I asked that question, I saw what the Nats did last year. I agree about your point with our organization, that is something that I don't think I would want to do now that I know more about the process.

Edited by SoxPride56

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
Storen is good, but is any reliever really top 10 worthy? Even first round worthy? I don't think so.

I agree though, I wouldn't like to see the Sox employ this strategy.

If you're sure he can become your closer, then I think it's a brilliant decision when you know you're going to be spending a fortune on Strasburg and Harper. It's an impact player for real cheap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
You also have to remember how pathetic the Nationals bullpen was last season. Why stock up your starting rotation only to have an awful bullpen?

Because it's disturbingly easy to create a decent bullpen for a year or two with a couple good pickups/signings?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
Because it's disturbingly easy to create a decent bullpen for a year or two with a couple good pickups/signings?

Exactly though, it's a temporary bullpen fix (like they did with Capps this year). If you can bring in Storen for 6 years and get him into the Majors right away, it's a good pick. Have any of you seen Storen pitch this year? Very good pitcher...made even more fun by watching Rob Dibble analyze him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
You also have to remember how pathetic the Nationals bullpen was last season. Why stock up your starting rotation only to have an awful bullpen?

You can always convert a starter to a reliever though. Plus you can pick up very good bullpen arms much later on in the draft. I just don't like limiting your potential value from a first rounder so significantly by taking a reliever.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:53 AM)
You can always convert a starter to a reliever though. Plus you can pick up very good bullpen arms much later on in the draft. I just don't like limiting your potential value from a first rounder so significantly by taking a reliever.

But you have to remember they needed to find a signable player based on it not being protected and the huge money given to Strasburg. Don't get me wrong, a top 20 pick shouldn't be on a closer unless it's a unique situation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
But you have to remember they needed to find a signable player based on it not being protected and the huge money given to Strasburg. Don't get me wrong, a top 20 pick shouldn't be on a closer unless it's a unique situation.

How do you feel about the way Huston street went (40th pick)?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:56 AM)
How do you feel about the way Huston street went (40th pick)?

It was a good pick, I truly feel. For cheap teams, you get 3 good years from those guys in your bullpen, and then you unload them for prospects.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
It was a good pick, I truly feel. For cheap teams, you get 3 good years from those guys in your bullpen, and then you unload them for prospects.

I'm still not seeing it. What returns more in a trade; stud closer or stud player who has any non-bullpen role?

Cheap teams in particular need to build through the draft and you certainly don't build your team around a closer. After all, you have to get to the 9th with a lead in order for a closer to have any value.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)
I'm still not seeing it. What returns more in a trade; stud closer or stud player who has any non-bullpen role?

Cheap teams in particular need to build through the draft and you certainly don't build your team around a closer. After all, you have to get to the 9th with a lead in order for a closer to have any value.

But we're not talking about Royce Ring types, who at their best would be a set-up lefty. Storen and Street were both closers. It's risky though, as you get guys like Casey Weathers and Ryan Wagner who fade out because they put too much stress on their elbows by throwing sliders.

Watching Matt Purke pitch for TCU. If you like good pitchers, turn this game on. Guy's a beast. Dialing the fastball up to 94/95 from the left side then making hitters look silly flailing at his changeup, and that pitch was supposedly weak this time last year.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:31 AM)
Watching Matt Purke pitch for TCU. If you like good pitchers, turn this game on. Guy's a beast. Dialing the fastball up to 94/95 from the left side then making hitters look silly flailing at his changeup, and that pitch was supposedly weak this time last year.

What channel? Wojo striking out a lot of USC guys. McGuire dominated Alabama tonight.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)

How long until the 2011 draft catch all thread goes up? :)