2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
Sounds like Mets want to take O'Connor. There's going to be a very talented offensive player available, such as Brentz, Cox or Choice for the Sox if they want.

Cox or Choice would be fantastic.

Brentz is quite overrated imo.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
Really? I thought the Mets were in on Vitek or Choice.

Bryce Brentz will probably be available, but I imagine Cox is a top ten pick.

I believe it's the Padres who are in on Vitek or Choice.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
I believe it's the Padres who are in on Vitek or Choice.

Aw jeez, yeah.

I guess I was a little surprised since none of the mocks i'd seen had O'Conner going higher than like, 16.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:56 AM)
No, no, no, no, no! I am pulling for the Sox to take O'Conner!

Cubs are going to take him if the Mets don't. After listening to Hawk and Stone today, we'll never take a high school pitcher in the first round, and any high school player seems questionable in the first round.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
Cubs are going to take him if the Mets don't. After listening to Hawk and Stone today, we'll never take a high school pitcher in the first round, and any high school player seems questionable in the first round.

Well, he also plays SS and C. And according to my friend who knows O'Conner and has played baseball w/ him, he actually prefers to be a position player because he is a real good hitter.

And SS and C are very weak in our system (unless Flowers pans out).

Because the Sox have had so much success getting stars with the college players they have taken ?

Yeah I agree it is risky to take a high schooler in the 1st round unless he has so much upside and out of this world potential. Bryce is basically a fast tracked H catcher who set the world on fire with his potential.

According to Merkin, White Sox prepare to draft signable college pitcher and then tell fan-base that's he's an impact type.

"CHICAGO -- With the 13th pick in the first round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, don't be surprised if the White Sox take a college pitcher Monday night.

"That's a high-percentage possibility," said White Sox director of amateur scouting Doug Laumann, speaking to the media Sunday morning, one day before the start of the 2010 Draft. "That's not to say if one or two of the guys in this pool we have is available that we might not go that route."

General manager Ken Williams' Draft philosophy has been to get an impact type of player, at any position, something the White Sox feel they have done during the past two Drafts with Gordon Beckham (2008) and Jared Mitchell (2009) standing as their top picks. Signability, according to Laumann, also will serve as a fairly significant factor in the selection process this year.

"One of the hardest parts of it is just the games that are played before the Draft with the agents in terms of, 'My guy wants this, my guy wants that,'" Laumann said. "I don't want to spend a year's worth of our guys' time scouting and our time and the effort and money to pick a guy off the board that we're not going to sign.

"At the same time, I don't want to pass on a guy to find out that he's signed five picks later. I hope, and maybe in the next couple of years with the new agreement, there's a system set up where we could just line them up, see whose better scouts, take the best guy available and see what happens." http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
Ima say Wojo myself. With Workman and Wimmers as the other options sadly. It WILL be a pitcher no doubt.

Perhaps they're throwing everyone for a loop and have a surprise up their sleeves.

I'm not counting on it though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
I was sold on Brentz, but the more i read and hear, it'll be a pitcher. I'll go Workman. He'll suck.

Hopefully someone like Brentz is so high up on their board, they can't pass him up.