The Soxtalk Committee on Closing

Heads22

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
Give Santos the shot. Keep Thornton as the 8th inning guy.

Agree with you, Thornton may actually be less valuable to this team as a closer. Then again, Santos might be too. But I think it's him or Putz that gets the next shot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
I think they're, probably correctly, being careful with both his arm and his brain for this season.

If he was a 20 year old kid who was obviously the future of your pitching rotation, I would agree. However, you don't know what Santos is going to give to you, so you might as well capitalize on it now. He's done a good job of maintaining his velocity so far this season.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
Give it to Putz. Hopefully he can have a good streak of a month or so and that will really raise his trade value.

Well, ideally, the team could actually get on a run and get back into it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Maybe it's just me, but I think this 4 game series against the Rays may be the end of that talk.

Well, we could very well end tonight 6 back, since the Twins have a frickin block on beating the Yankees. But the Rays series (and the Twins versus Texas) may very well determine the season's course.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Well, we could very well end tonight 6 back, since the Twins have a frickin block on beating the Yankees. But the Rays series (and the Twins versus Texas) may very well determine the season's course.

If I'd seen anything at all from Quentin or Beckham, I might buy it, but they keep on falling flat.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Well, ideally, the team could actually get on a run and get back into it.

I wish I had that optimism but when you have to put out lineups on a daily basis with Pierzynski as your no. 2 hitter and Kotsay batting 5th, there isn't room for much hope.

Either way, I firmly believe this team needs to get either Prince or AG this trade season or in the offseason if we want any chance at competing soon and not wasting this pitching staff (which has vastly underperformed so far, but I still have a lot of faith in this rotation).

On the bright side, a miserable season means a fun draft season the following year. As much as 2007 sucked for us, who wasn't all geeked up for the 2008 MLB Draft and pumped up for Gordon?

(Side note, I've never been a Gordon manic like everyone else, but if he fixes a few things and gets his head straight, I still see him becoming a .300+ guy who is a doubles machine. Hopefully he stops trying to be a HR hitter and focuses on doubles and going into the gaps).

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
I wish I had that optimism but when you have to put out lineups on a daily basis with Pierzynski as your no. 2 hitter and Kotsay batting 5th, there isn't room for much hope.

Either way, I firmly believe this team needs to get either Prince or AG this trade season or in the offseason if we want any chance at competing soon and not wasting this pitching staff (which has vastly underperformed so far, but I still have a lot of faith in this rotation).

I just can't go through a season expecting the worst, even if I know it's going to happen. I'm an Iowa State fan, for God's sake. I have to cling to that thinnest shred of hope.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
Agree with you, Thornton may actually be less valuable to this team as a closer. Then again, Santos might be too. But I think it's him or Putz that gets the next shot.

Thornton can be a two inning closer kind of guy though and that's pretty good. He might not be able to picth but every other day though. Putz and Thornton can complement each other or Santos could be put in that role with Thornton

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)

We are kind of missing the point and that is we did win today. It wasn't pretty but we won

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
We are kind of missing the point and that is we did win today. It wasn't pretty but we won

The point is we won despite Bobby, not really due to any large contribution from him, other than not sucking worse.

I think trading Jenks to the Reds makes a ton of sense. Masset is their set-up man, and he's been brutal!

If Bobby is as bad as many of you say, why in the hell would anybody trade for him?

I guess many of you would take anything for him to get rid of him. So it's going to be a trade where we get some Class A stiff for Bobby?

Edited by greg775