The Soxtalk Committee on Closing

Heads22

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 27, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
I do see your "point" and I probably used the wrong word, but still the bottom line is we won the game, but I sure don't want to see that kind of melt down by Jenks again. Can he get back on track? I haven't heard much in the way of comments from the Sox on this game. Has anyone else picked up anything?

bobby is still the closer

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
bobby is still the closer

He'll be given a relatively long leash, especially if this team continues to play sub-.500 ball. If he finds his command a couple weeks from now, somebody desperate for a closer might offer to pick up the rest of his contract two months from now. And given how much slack Ozzie cut JD last year, I imagine that Bobby will receive similar treatment.

May I respectfully ask you just one question? Have you actually watched Bobby pitch?

Not of late. Have caught parts of some games.

I've never heard of a closer losing his job until he blows 2-3 saves in a row and the manager mercifully has to get him out of there to stop the booing, etc.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)

I've never heard of a closer losing his job until he blows 2-3 saves in a row and the manager mercifully has to get him out of there to stop the booing, etc.

Jenks was booed off the field when "trying" to close out the game against Toronto a few weeks ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)

Shingo lost his job in '05 with a near identical performance to that of Bobby thus far this year, only Bobby's gotten 13 extra days of leash so far. Oh and Bobby has "blown" 3 games for us this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
That's sad. His save percentage is still OK.

If the fans want Thornton, give them Thornton.

How about his success in high leverage situations percentage? It's currently at 70% and he walked the tight rope in 80% of his 10 high leverage outings, that's unreal.

If this is so controversial, you've given the media something to harp about. Has anybody written that Oz needs to replace big Bobby with Thornton?

Mariotti would have loved covering the Sox this year with columns.

There's been fodder to fire the closer and the manager.

I have stated I wouldn't be upset if they want to Thornton but I still have faith in Jenks. Most of you want Bobby out.

If tons of fans feel this way, it should be a full blown controversy on the talk show circuit.

Believe it or not but the 3rd place White Sox's closer situation isn't exactly front page news right now in the Chicago sports landscape. There's a few more important things going on right now, not that the amount of media coverage on the subject means anything.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 27, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Believe it or not but the 3rd place White Sox's closer situation isn't exactly front page news right now in the Chicago sports landscape. There's a few more important things going on right now, not that the amount of media coverage on the subject means anything.

We totally need to make Byfuglien our closer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
If this is so controversial, you've given the media something to harp about. Has anybody written that Oz needs to replace big Bobby with Thornton?

Mariotti would have loved covering the Sox this year with columns.

There's been fodder to fire the closer and the manager.

I have stated I wouldn't be upset if they want to Thornton but I still have faith in Jenks. Most of you want Bobby out.

If tons of fans feel this way, it should be a full blown controversy on the talk show circuit.

Greg, to be honest, no one in Chicago gives a s*** about the Sox right now. Between the Blackhawks and LeBron, those are the two main stories. Heck, Ozzie's kid ripping on Peavy got absolutely no press.

Greg, to be honest, no one in Chicago gives a s*** about the Sox right now. Between the Blackhawks and LeBron, those are the two main stories. Heck, Ozzie's kid ripping on Peavy got absolutely no press.

Interesting.

I still think a good controversial columnist would find some nice fodder in the Sox and Cubs.

How many columns can you write on the NHL playoffs? As great as the Hawks are, I'd think it'd be a boring column topic, better for regular stories and profiles of players and matchups.

I need to read the webpages more often. That would shock me if Chicago pulls off the LeBron thing. I guess if he has full authority to pick the coach it could happen, but WTF do guys like LeBron care who the coach is? He'll get to do whatever he wants anyway.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)

To be fair... Ozzie vs Joe West actually got alot of press here and on sports networks FYI.

Ozzie insists that Bobby is throwing the ball well, and will continue his reign (of terror) as the Sox closer.

"Manager Ozzie Guillen said Bobby Jenks remains his closer after allowing three runs in the ninth inning of Wednesday's 5-4 win at Cleveland.

"He will dictate how long he will be out there," Guillen said before Thursday night's game at Tampa Bay. "I still have confidence in the kid. I think he's still throwing the ball well. He's just not getting it done."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/

["He will dictate how long he will be out there," Guillen said before Thursday night's game at Tampa Bay. "I still have confidence in the kid. I think he's still throwing the ball well. He's just not getting it done."/quote]

One of the reasons I like Ozzie so much is whenever he speaks I end up agreeing with what he says.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)
One of the reasons I like Ozzie so much is whenever he speaks I end up agreeing with what he says.

If he was throwing the ball well he would be getting the job done. That is an oxymoron

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
If he was throwing the ball well he would be getting the job done. That is an oxymoron

Actually, I agree he's throwing the ball well also. He's popping mid 90's up to 97-98 on the radar gun. The problem is, no matter how well he's throwing, he's pitching like sh*t.

This season is a write-off, trade Thornton and/or Santos, who have substantial trade value. Keep Putz and Jenks, who dont, to mop-up this season, maybe compete for the rebuilding 2011 and move on. Given we are unfortunately going into a 1-2 year rebuilding phase, closer is not a priority...

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
This season is a write-off, trade Thornton and/or Santos, who have substantial trade value. Keep Putz and Jenks, who dont, to mop-up this season, maybe compete for the rebuilding 2011 and move on. Given we are unfortunately going into a 1-2 year rebuilding phase, closer is not a priority...

Why would you trade the 2 guys who will actually be here next year and try to rebuild by keeping the 2 guys who won't be here next year?

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 28, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)

Oh god....

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
["He will dictate how long he will be out there," Guillen said before Thursday night's game at Tampa Bay. "I still have confidence in the kid. I think he's still throwing the ball well. He's just not getting it done."

How can you agree with this? Jenks sucks and has sucked for a very extended perod of time now. If Ozzie were telling the truth in saying Jenks will dictate how long he will be out there, he wouldn't be out there. I'm assuming they will do everything they can to let Jenks get his trade value up though, so we're going to see him continue closing and the Sox slinging bull s*** about how much they like how he's throwing. Unfortunately, the getting some good for Bobby Jenks in a trade horse has long since left the barn.

Edited by whitesoxfan101