Galarraga perfect game broken up by umpire

fathom

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
MLB umpiring this year has been a complete disgrace.

I agree with the 1 challenge rule idea. Can be used for safe/out calls on the bases, fair/foul balls, etc. (not balls/strikes or HR's) Like Football replay must be conclusive.

Nothing can turn fans away more than blown calls.

Wait, why not home runs? I would think that those should be on the top of the list.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just overturn the damn play MLB and state that you did it because you are implementing a new replay rule for things like that.

Calling it a bobbled ball is idiocy and classless.

Edited by Quinarvy

I don't think you can suspend or fine an umpire for a human error. Stuff like that should be saved for Joe West, who had some sort of agenda and was calling balks that clearly weren't balks (they weren't even close) and throwing people out of the game for no reason. Joyce just made a mistake, a really bad mistake, but a mistake nontheless. And MLB can't just overturn the missed call, how do you think the 1985 Cardinals and teams like that would feel? It'd be unfair to them. They are stuck with this mistake and that is that.

I actually feel REALLY bad for Jim Joyce. The technology is there so that he shouldn't have to be the villian. If it were being used like it SHOULD (there should be replay on everything except ball/strike calls, and it's common sense), then he wouldn't have to live the rest of his life knowing he took a perfect game away. I know the umpires job is to get it right, but they are human. The technology is there so that this should never happen, and it's on Bud Selig and MLB that it's not being used. This is their fault more than it is Jim Joyce's, and I hope this is fixed VERY soon.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
I don't think you can suspend or fine an umpire for a human error. Stuff like that should be saved for Joe West, who had some sort of agenda and was calling balks that clearly weren't balks (they weren't even close) and throwing people out of the game for no reason. Joyce just made a mistake, a really bad mistake, but a mistake nontheless.

I actually feel REALLY bad for Jim Joyce. The technology is there so that he shouldn't have to be the villian. If it were being used like it SHOULD (there should be replay on everything except ball/strike calls, and it's common sense), then he wouldn't have to live the rest of his life knowing he took a perfect game away. I know the umpires job is to get it right, but they are human. The technology is there so that this should never happen, and it's on Bud Selig and MLB that it's not being used. This is their fault more than it is Jim Joyce's, and I hope this is fixed VERY soon.

I feel bad for Jim Joyce since he admitted fault. Replays should be allowed.

But you know, Bud Selig will come out and say that human error makes the game fun.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
I don't think you can suspend or fine an umpire for a human error. Stuff like that should be saved for Joe West, who had some sort of agenda and was calling balks that clearly weren't balks (they weren't even close) and throwing people out of the game for no reason. Joyce just made a mistake, a really bad mistake, but a mistake nontheless. And MLB can't just overturn the missed call, how do you think the 1985 Cardinals and teams like that would feel? It'd be unfair to them. They are stuck with this mistake and that is that.

You can't do this, though.

You can't change fair/foul calls that have already been ruled foul. Same thing for catch/no catch. You wouldn't be able to reverse it with runners on, as you're putting the offense or the defense at an advantage there.

If a foul ball kills the play after 2 seconds and everyone stops, do the umpires just make up where all the base runners would have advanced to (with no chance to throw them out at a base)? Do you put the ball back in the corner and re-do the play? Can't really do that. You would be playing too much imaginary baseball and there'd be more arguments. There's enough as it is when it comes to fan interference, obstruction, etc. where umpires have to place base runners.

On certain plays, it's just not possible. Kind of like you can't have a HR ruled on the field and then overturn it and say it actually hit the wall and is a live ball.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:52 PM)
I feel bad for Jim Joyce since he admitted fault. Replays should be allowed.

But you know, Bud Selig will come out and say that human error makes the game fun.

All human error does is change history. To allow human error, rather than easily fix it, is simply idiotic.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Its amazing how many no hitter/perfect games have been thrown this year. I wonder what the record is.

I think this year's 2 perfect games is a record for a year. But I dont know how many of you remember, but there was a rash of no hitters in the early 90's. I had to look it up on wiki and it confirmed it 7 no hit in 1990 and 1991, making 14 in 2 years

Im just wondering why people are cheering against a perfect game? yeah it may be 3 this year 4 in a calendar year, but its still rare and we might got 50 years without another one

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
You can't do this, though.

You can't change fair/foul calls that have already been ruled foul. Same thing for catch/no catch. You wouldn't be able to reverse it with runners on, as you're putting the offense or the defense at an advantage there.

If a foul ball kills the play after 2 seconds and everyone stops, do the umpires just make up where all the base runners would have advanced to (with no chance to throw them out at a base)? Do you put the ball back in the corner and re-do the play? Can't really do that. You would be playing too much imaginary baseball and there'd be more arguments. There's enough as it is when it comes to fan interference, obstruction, etc. where umpires have to place base runners.

On certain plays, it's just not possible. Kind of like you can't have a HR ruled on the field and then overturn it and say it actually hit the wall and is a live ball.

So the system now shouldn't be tweaked? There is no perfect system, but replay could easily be expanded significantly.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
So the system now shouldn't be tweaked? There is no perfect system, but replay could easily be expanded significantly.

Well that's clearly not what I said.

I was simply commenting on what you said. Sure it could be expanded, but not for everything, and that's a big key. MLB can't just say "there's replay now" tomorrow and run with it. It's a lot more complicated than that.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Well that's clearly not what I said.

I was simply commenting on what you said. Sure it could be expanded, but not for everything, and that's a big key. MLB can't just say "there's replay now" tomorrow and run with it. It's a lot more complicated than that.

I think on the fair/foul issue, you could kind of go similar to the NFL route, where they call it a fumble if it's close since they know they can go back and say he was down (although that rule has even changed a bit recently.) Just call it a fair ball if it's close and let the play go, and if it's foul, you can fix it easily.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
I think this year's 2 perfect games is a record for a year. But I dont know how many of you remember, but there was a rash of no hitters in the early 90's. I had to look it up on wiki and it confirmed it 7 no hit in 1990 and 1991, making 14 in 2 years

Im just wondering why people are cheering against a perfect game? yeah it may be 3 this year 4 in a calendar year, but its still rare and we might got 50 years without another one

Maybe because Buehrle got one and people want it to be as exclusive as possible? I'm not sure. I'll admit I didn't want to see one for a while because I wanted Buehrle to be the last one, but since it's happened, I want to see them. They're part of history.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
If that umpire is not fired, then I'm done with baseball.

LMAO. Hyperbole of the century. Joyce blew the call. Big whoop. We've seen three perfect games and a no-hitter within the last year. The world wasn't robbed because we didn't get to see another.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
If MLB wants to go to replay, last year's postseason should have much more of an impact than this game. This shouldn't be what it takes to put it over the edge, really.

This I definitely agree with. The blown calls in the playoffs are MUCH more important than a blown call at the end of a game on June 2nd, even with a perfect game on the line.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
I can't believe theres actually people who would root against a perfect game just because of the team throwing it.

You're joking right?

Why would I want to see him throw a perfect game?

I guess I am in the minority here but I don't give a s*** about anyone other than the White Sox.. im not watching a baseball game that does not involve the White Sox, nor do I have any desire to.

I want every AL central team that is not from Chicago to fail, and fail miserably.. or in this case, hilariously..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
You're joking right?

I guess I am in the minority here but I don't give a s*** about anyone other than the White Sox.. im not watching a baseball game that does not involve the White Sox, nor do I have any desire to.

I want every AL central team that is not from Chicago to fail, and fail miserably.. or in this case, hilariously..

I feel sorry for you. I'm with you as far as wanting our rivals to fail spectacularly. But there are so many exciting players and teams out there. I could never limit myself to White Sox only. Especially this POS Sox team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
I feel sorry for you. I'm with you as far as wanting our rivals to fail spectacularly. But there are so many exciting players and teams out there. I could never limit myself to White Sox only. Especially this POS Sox team.

Why would you feel sorry for me? Because I don't want to watch a non Sox game because you think those players are exciting? Or the teams?

Its more unbelievable that there are people here rooting for him to throw that perfect game, regardless of how depressed the Sox are making everyone feel.. Thats who I feel sorry for, I would never root for a rival team to do anything like that..

You're joking right?

I agree with this, though I don't mind the Royals.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
Why would you feel sorry for me? Because I don't want to watch a non Sox game because you think those players are exciting? Or the teams?

Yup.

Its more unbelievable that there are people here rooting for him to throw that perfect game, regardless of how depressed the Sox are making everyone feel.. Thats who I feel sorry for, I would never root for a rival team to do anything like that..

I agree with this for the most part. But the way things are going, it's not like we're going to sniff the Tigers, let alone the Twins, in the standings. So who really cares?

You're joking right?

Jesus Christ, man. Are you sure you like baseball? You don't watch the playoffs, the World Series...anything? You've never tuned into ESPN's game of the week or anything?