The Suggested Moves / Who Goes/Stays thread

chiguy79

I was just dicing up the Sox roster to think through who all they could actually trade and get some value for versus who they would keep this is what I came up with. I can't see the Sox moving Thornton/Buehrle or Alexei although I would think they would listen to offers on everyone. It is amazing how many players we have that I can't imagine any contender would want any part of.

I am sure JR is putting pressure on Kenny to cut the payroll big time with attendance levels running where they are, this is what happens when you don't have a DH and you are counting on Juan Pierre, Mark Kotsay and Mark Teahen to produce. I mean we had Omar Vizquel DH, that is grounds for dismissal for incompetence regarding the entire organization.

Keepers

56 Mark Buehrle SP L L 31 6-2 235 St. Charles, MO $14,000,000

50 John Danks SP L L 25 6-2 210 Austin, TX $3,450,000

34 Gavin Floyd SP R R 27 6-6 235 Annapolis, MD $2,750,000

46 Sergio Santos RP R R 26 6-3 210 Bellflower, CA $400,000

37 Matt Thornton RP L L 33 6-6 235 Three Rivers, MI $2,250,000

15 Gordon Beckham 2B R R 23 6-0 185 Atlanta, GA $445,000

10 Alexei Ramirez SS R R 28 6-2 170 Pinar del Rio, Cuba $1,225,000

Goners with Value

45 Bobby Jenks RP R R 29 6-4 275 Mission Hills, CA $7,500,000

44 Jake Peavy SP R R 29 6-1 195 Mobile, AL $15,000,000

57 Tony Pena RP R R 28 6-2 230 Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic $1,200,000

14 Paul Konerko 1B R R 34 6-2 220 Providence, RI $12,000,000

12 A.J. Pierzynski C L R 33 6-3 230 Bridgehampton, NY $6,750,000

51 Alex Rios CF R R 29 6-5 205 Coffee, AL $10,200,000

Goners with No Value

43 Freddy Garcia SP R R 33 6-4 250 Caracas, Venezuela $1,000,000

71 Scott Linebrink RP R R 33 6-3 220 Austin, TX $5,000,000

27 Ramon Castro C R R 34 6-3 240 Vega Baja, Puerto Rico $800,000

40 J.J. Putz RP R R 33 6-5 250 Trenton, MI $3,000,000

67 Randy Williams RP L L 34 6-4 200 Harlingen, TX $415,000

18 Brent Lillibridge 2B R R 26 5-11 185 Everett, WA N/A

5 Jayson Nix 2B R R 27 5-11 195 Dallas, TX $420,000

11 Omar Vizquel SS B R 43 5-9 175 Caracas, Venezuela $1,375,000

25 Andruw Jones RF R R 33 6-1 230 Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles $500,000

1 Juan Pierre LF L L 32 5-11 185 Mobile, AL $7,000,000

20 Carlos Quentin RF R R 27 6-2 235 Bellflower, CA $3,200,000

7 Mark Kotsay DH L L 34 6-0 210 Whittier, CA $1,500,000

23 Mark Teahen DL

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:33 AM)
I didn't actually expect him to approach the question like that. I don't see him getting moved, but he's just opened up an entire can of words for himself.

He'd probably wet himself to get traded back to a team full of dirtbags. A team that has a GLARING hole in the starting rotation is the Giants. I'm not saying Peavy, but Buehrle or Garcia would look nice taking over for Wellemeyer there.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
Same here, I don't see anything to make me think he doesn't want to be here.....

There's nothing that remarkable about the quote. I was just suprised to see him make himself part of the discussion. It's not a huge deal. I just thought his quote would be more like, "Yeah, i expect a lot of changes around here." Rather then, "Yeah, i expect a lot of changes around here, i could be one of them, i'd understand it if Kenny wanted to trade me."

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)
There's nothing that remarkable about the quote. I was just suprised to see him make himself part of the discussion. Not a huge deal. I just thought his quote would be more like, "Yeah, i expect a lot of changes around here." Rather then, "Yeah, i expect a lot of changes around here, i could be one of them, i'd understand it if Kenny wanted to trade me"

Even the first quote is probably putting himself more into it than necessary, to be honest.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 04:53 AM)
There's nothing that remarkable about the quote. I was just suprised to see him make himself part of the discussion. Not a huge deal. I just thought his quote would be more like, "Yeah, i expect a lot of changes around here." Rather then, "Yeah, i expect a lot of changes around here, i could be one of them, i'd understand it if Kenny wanted to trade me"

Yep, that's exactly what surprised me.

Assuming we clear a lot of room here, and Flowers and Danks have a nice turn around in production by the All-Star Break (massive assumptions, I’ll admit) I really wouldn’t mind playing out the year with the following lineup, and usning it as an early audition for the spring. Give a lot of these guys a pressure free, entrance to the big leagues.

C-Flowers

1b-Viciedo

2b-Beckham

3b-Teahen

SS-Ramirez,

RF-Danks

CF-Rios,

LF-Pierre,

DH-TCQ

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
Assuming we clear a lot of room here, and Flowers and Danks have a nice turn around in production by the All-Star Break (massive assumptions, I’ll admit) I really wouldn’t mind playing out the year with the following lineup, and usning it as an early audition for the spring. Give a lot of these guys a pressure free, entrance to the big leagues.

C-Flowers

1b-Viciedo

2b-Beckham

3b-Teahen

SS-Ramirez,

RF-Danks

CF-Rios,

LF-Pierre,

DH-TCQ

Well a lineup like that we could be shooting for number 1 draft pick in 2011.

Rotation of Peavy, Danks, Garcia, Floyd, Hudson ?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:00 AM)
Assuming we clear a lot of room here, and Flowers and Danks have a nice turn around in production by the All-Star Break (massive assumptions, I'll admit) I really wouldn't mind playing out the year with the following lineup, and usning it as an early audition for the spring. Give a lot of these guys a pressure free, entrance to the big leagues.

C-Flowers

1b-Viciedo

2b-Beckham

3b-Teahen

SS-Ramirez,

RF-Danks

CF-Rios,

LF-Pierre,

DH-TCQ

If it wasn't for his last name, no one would be penciling Danks into the lineup for at least another year and a half. He's not even close to being ready. I'm all for seeing young players get time in the Majors, but even I have no interest in seeing that pathetic lineup.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:03 AM)
Well a lineup like that we could be shooting for number 1 draft pick in 2011.

Rotation of Peavy, Danks, Garcia, Floyd, Hudson ?

Why would you keep Garcia around. Trade him to the Giants for John Bowker.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
If it wasn't for his last name, no one would be penciling Danks into the lineup for at least another year and a half. He's not even close to being ready. I'm all for seeing young players get time in the Majors, but even I have no interest in seeing that pathetic lineup.

This would only be for the back half of this season, not the start of 2011.. I imagine it will be a lot more interesting to suck with young guys, then old guys. (See, the Diamond-Backs method) Also, you can't tell me that the notion of being bad enough for Rendon, while getting Flowers and Dayan some play, doesn't make you drool.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 06:06 AM)
This would only be for the back half of this season, not the start of 2011.. I imagine it will be a lot more interesting to suck with young guys, then old guys. (See, the Diamond-Backs method) Also, you can't tell me that the notion of being bad enough for Rendon, while getting Flowers and Dayan some play, doesn't make you drool.

Not going to get Rendon with the Orioles being in the AL East. Also, the problem with going with just the worst lineup possible is that walk-up sales will be even worse, which would then hurt our payroll in the years to come. The person on my list who really should be on the market is Mark Buehrle. If a team is willing to take his contract on and give up some players for him, then you jump at that.

Edited by fathom

Still, even beyond Rendon we're looking at great arms like Taylor Jungmann and Gerritt Cole. I'm perfectly comfortable purging payroll, and letting the kids play for half a year, and giving ourselves an early shot at one of the best draft classes in years.I don't see how walk-up sales do any better if we stand pat, i'm going to assume that even after the purge we'll still have Buehrle, Peavy, Rios, Beckham and Quentin. Are that many people going to jump ship with Konerko, A.J., and Jenks gone?