The Suggested Moves / Who Goes/Stays thread

chiguy79

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
No, not at all. But read through pages 1-3 of this thread. People were villifying Peavy for his comments he made, and then AJ goes and makes more damning comments and no one made any mention of it. I don't think either one of them said anything they should not have.

Yes, the posting on Soxtalk tends to go to hell when the Sox are out of contention by June.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Well my point is that Peavy made comments about being traded, and Peavy's comments were much less inviting, and yet people were saying "f*** Peavy, you bum" and saying he never wanted to be here anyway, and all this and that. Yet AJ makes comments today much more damning about being open to a trade, and yet no one cares......

quite the double standard....

What did AJ say exactly?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
I don't really care. I'm just sick of watching him hit. He has a terrible approach at the plate. When he grounded into that double play on the first pitch after two walks and a hit batter, that was the last straw with me. I really want to see him go.

Oh man, I am right there with you...that was infuriating. Especially after the pitcher then followed that up by walking Alexei on 4 pitches!

Tradeable assets:

Paul Konerko: This is the best time to sell. The Angels are beckoning, I can see us getting Mike Trout, or at least a package containing Mark Trumbo. Rangers could be an option as well (Smoak would be great), likely a package with Chris Davis would take place. If we could get Martin Perez or Holland in a package deal (package on both sides, it could go a long way in the rebuilding process. Lastly, The Brewers could be an option. This is the least likely scenario and would involve Fielder... really just including them because of concerns over their ability to re-sign Prince, though I think Reinsdorf is even less likely to open the proverbial wallet.

A.J. Pierzynski: The Rangers could be a potential destination... could be a monster trade if packaged with PK. San Fran could be possible since they are not please with Molina and not confident with Posey's defense (yet).

Mark Buerhle: Cardinals would be the best send-off, but in terms of yield-of-return, I'm not certain. He can without question bring in a good package of prospects.

Jenks: Frustration alone warrants the trade... this would be closer to the deadline however. Possible trade partners: Atlanta, Philly, Cleveland, Milwaukee.

Thornton: It was said in another thread that Thornton has the best trade value of anyone on the team. I don't agree with that, but I could see either New York team being interested, as well as above listed teams for Jenks.

Keepers:

Beckham

Rios

Pierre (it hurts me too.)

TCQ (for now)

JFP

Danks

Hudson (promotion)

QUOTE (southsidetony @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Tradeable assets:

Paul Konerko: This is the best time to sell. The Angels are beckoning, I can see us getting Mike Trout, or at least a package containing Mark Trumbo. Rangers could be an option as well (Smoak would be great), likely a package with Chris Davis would take place. If we could get Martin Perez or Holland in a package deal (package on both sides, it could go a long way in the rebuilding process. Lastly, The Brewers could be an option. This is the least likely scenario and would involve Fielder... really just including them because of concerns over their ability to re-sign Prince, though I think Reinsdorf is even less likely to open the proverbial wallet.

A.J. Pierzynski: The Rangers could be a potential destination... could be a monster trade if packaged with PK. San Fran could be possible since they are not please with Molina and not confident with Posey's defense (yet).

Mark Buerhle: Cardinals would be the best send-off, but in terms of yield-of-return, I'm not certain. He can without question bring in a good package of prospects.

Jenks: Frustration alone warrants the trade... this would be closer to the deadline however. Possible trade partners: Atlanta, Philly, Cleveland, Milwaukee.

Thornton: It was said in another thread that Thornton has the best trade value of anyone on the team. I don't agree with that, but I could see either New York team being interested, as well as above listed teams for Jenks.

Keepers:

Beckham

Rios

Pierre (it hurts me too.)

TCQ (for now)

JFP

Danks

Hudson (promotion)

I am not so sure the Angels really want PK. They may have been interested years ago but that doesn't mean they are now. Not all GMs have multi year obsessions with players like Kenny, However I am sure there is no way they are giving up Trout for him. A first round draft pick one year later who is having great success is not going anywhere for an over 30 1b who is a 4 month player.

I really don't think we will get much in return for AJ. Texas is not going to trade Smoak for him and the Giants will have no interest in him again after they got burned acquiring him the last time.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
I am not so sure the Angels really want PK. They may have been interested years ago but that doesn't mean they are now. Not all GMs have multi year obsessions with players like Kenny, However I am sure there is no way they are giving up Trout for him. A first round draft pick one year later who is having great success is not going anywhere for an over 30 1b who is a 4 month player.

I really don't think we will get much in return for AJ. Texas is not going to trade Smoak for him and the Giants will have no interest in him again after they got burned acquiring him the last time.

I know a pretty decent Angels source who thinks they do want PK, and they would give up Trumbo for him.

Trout? No.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
I know a pretty decent Angels source who thinks they do want PK, and they would give up Trumbo for him.

Trout? No.

big difference between the two and i dont see trumbo as much of a prospect

Well my point is that Peavy made comments about being traded, and Peavy's comments were much less inviting, and yet people were saying "f*** Peavy, you bum" and saying he never wanted to be here anyway, and all this and that. Yet AJ makes comments today much more damning about being open to a trade, and yet no one cares......quite the double standard....

My comment on the Peavy thread was "good for him. Let him go" or something like that. It wasn't anger at anything he said. I don't think he said anything bad at all. I was just saying with that contract, go ahead and dump him like the rest of the high money guys. I've liked Jake's attitude throughout, especially that one stretch when he wanted the ball against the Rays I think it was, instead of taking another day off and letting mark pitch. I like Jake; just don' tlike the results. and wouldn't lose any sleep if KW trades him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
I'm just telling you the truth, Sir.

Was never comparing the two as prospects.

oh i know you werent. and i was just saying if thats all they have to offer than screw the angels

I just mentioned this in another thread, but who knows if the return for Paulie (and Jenks as well) is even Kenny's call? Maybe JR has taken too big of a hit to the wallet and he just wants as much cash gone as possible. If so I'm not sure we'll get a lot for either Paulie or Jenks, and our best players would probably come from Freddy, Jones, and Putz.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)

Trout? No.

Trumbo's would be a nice haul. That K-rate is a bit cringe inducing, but he's a perfect fit for The Cell.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
I just mentioned this in another thread, but who knows if the return for Paulie (and Jenks as well) is even Kenny's call? Maybe JR has taken too big of a hit to the wallet and he just wants as much cash gone as possible. If so I'm not sure we'll get a lot for either Paulie or Jenks, and our best players would probably come from Freddy, Jones, and Putz.

Could be. JR tends to not go into the red, but the WS may have changed his mind. If Steve Stone is right about PK not being part of the plans for next year, financial motivation seems to make the most sense. Re-inking PK to a 3-year deal at a reduced salary would make sense on a number of levels.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
Re-inking PK to a 3-year deal at a reduced salary would make sense on a number of levels.

I have difficulty seeing any 34 year old 1b getting a 3 year deal this offseason (he'll be 35 by opening day next year).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 07:24 AM)
I have difficulty seeing any 34 year old 1b getting a 3 year deal this offseason (he'll be 35 by opening day next year).

Depends on the total amount. If the market value is 2/14, offering 3/17 might give him incentive to sign instead of hitting FA. You don't want to get into a bidding war with a guy coming off of the season that PK's currently having.

Barring injury, I imagine that PK is safe for roughly an .800 OPS through age 36 (2012). If he falters at 37, you're on the hook for $5.7M in that last year, which isn't terrible. If there's any question about his durability, you can move him to DH.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Could be. JR tends to not go into the red, but the WS may have changed his mind. If Steve Stone is right about PK not being part of the plans for next year, financial motivation seems to make the most sense. Re-inking PK to a 3-year deal at a reduced salary would make sense on a number of levels.

I think the motivation is financial-related, but more has to do with the fear of Paulie breaking down and also being able to use the savings to sign a left-handed power bat. If we want to afford someone like Adam Dunn, then we have to let go of Paulie.