Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 03:46 AM)
Like I said in the other thread, if Allie falls... I hope we draft him. If not, I'll be fine with Washington or Workman and a high upside guy like Blair in the third or a project like Morris.

Blair was picked by Cards. I'd love for Sox to take Washington or Allie or Wilson, but I can't see that happening.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
Blair was picked by Cards. I'd love for Sox to take Washington or Allie or Wilson, but I can't see that happening.

Ah I didn't see it. Damn Cards, though might have been a bit overdrafted, I like Blair alot and can see where they stand on his upside. And who knows fathom.. I didn't think we would pick Sale even when he fell to us. Thought he would pass on him.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
Paxton too. Maybe the Sox load up on lefties!!!#!@!@!

It'd be funny anyways.

I wouldn't mind at all, in fact I would love it. We are pretty thin still with LHP in our system. Sale, Holmberg is nice... but that is it really. (I still do like Leesman, though he has really been disappointing this year)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
Morgado is another interesting name... Could the Sox take another shot at him?

I sure hope not...7.90 ERA, 2-7 record, more H allowed than IPs...10th round flier at best.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:13 AM)
While I would love Allie/Wilson/Cole as many others, I don't think they are realistic picks for the Sox.

Names I like:

Workman, Eibner, Yordy, Eldemire, Golden, Bettis, Stanek, Solis, Smelter, and Cisco.

I like pretty much all these guys. Would be very happy to see the Sox take one of them.

Baseball America's best remaining players:

15. Stetson Allie, rhp, St. Edward HS, Lakewood, Ohio

20. Brandon Workman, rhp, Texas

23. Brett Eibner, rhp/of, Arkansas

25. A.J. Cole, rhp, Oviedo (Fla.) HS

28. Austin Wilson, of, Harvard-Westlake School, Studio City, Calif.

31. Ryan LaMarre, of, Michigan

33. Chad Bettis, rhp, Texas Tech

35. Yordy Cabrera, ss/rhp, Lakeland (Fla.) HS

37. Jedd Gyorko, ss, West Virginia

38. Ryne Stanek, rhp, Blue Valley HS, Stilwell, Kan.

45. A.J. Vanegas, rhp, Redwood Christian HS, San Lorenzo, Calif.

46. Garin Cecchini, 3b, Barbe HS, Lake Charles, La.

47. James Paxton, lhp, Grand Prairie (American Assoc.)

48. Sammy Solis, lhp, San Diego

50. Jesse Hahn, rhp, Virginia Tech

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
I sure hope not...7.90 ERA, 2-7 record, more H allowed than IPs...10th round flier at best.

Good point on Morgado, he had sights of being a first round pick this year, did not realize his stats were so poor. He will regret not signing with us. Do we get an extra pick for not signing him, will have to check that out.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
I'd love to get Wilson this round, then eventually load up on some more LHP's.

I sooooooo want the Sox to get Austin Wilson in round 2 but I doubt he makes it to us.

But seriously, watching all the scouting videos as well as this one makes me drool to think we could have an outfield someday with Wilson and Mitchell:

QUOTE (DGSOXFan14 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
I sooooooo want the Sox to get Austin Wilson in round 2 but I doubt he makes it to us.

But seriously, watching all the scouting videos as well as this one makes me drool to think we could have an outfield someday with Wilson and Mitchell:

I think he will probably make it so us, I just dont think we will give him enough money to buy him out of Stanford.

Many publications are noting that the White Sox would indeed have taken Grandal if not popped by the Reds. They certainly would have had to go overslot with him. One wonders if the draft budget is noticeably higher this year. I can only hope.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
Many publications are noting that the White Sox would indeed have taken Grandal if not popped by the Reds. They certainly would have had to go overslot with him. One wonders if the draft budget is noticeably higher this year. I can only hope.

We'll find out today I suppose.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
We'll find out today I suppose.

Not necessarily. They always say that the money is there for the right player. Grandal may just have been that right player. There isn't necessarily a $6m budget just because they were intending to go over-slot on Grandal.