AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

justBLAZE

In fact, he pitched good today, and closed out the game, while this isn't Bobby Jenks sucks thread, this is a White Sox winner thread, give credit where credit is due ;)

And ya maybe he isn't last on the problems list, but didn't everyone agree the season is over? Bobby will be gone next year.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
Hasn't Bobby always sucked in non-save opportunities? He's been bad this year, but got us the saves - that's all I'm saying.

Non-save opportunities are pretty important too, don't you think?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Yep, I forgot all those games that were tied that he blew for us didn't count.

$7.5M and he can only pitch under one very specific scenario and even then you can only be comfortable putting him out there with a 3 run lead. There are teams out there that pay similar money to their closer that do not have this problem, they don't s*** the bed when there's not save to be made.

God I hate arguing this.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
$7.5M and he can only pitch under one very specific scenario and even then you can only be comfortable putting him out there with a 3 run lead. There are teams out there that pay similar money to their closer that do not have this problem, they don't s*** the bed when there's not save to be made.

God I hate arguing this.

There is nothing to argue here, really.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Yep, I forgot all those games that were tied that he blew for us didn't count.

5 for 9 in those situations over the past 2 seasons. Don't count as a blown save but they're standard closer situations and just as if not more important than a save.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)

God I hate arguing this.

Think about all the closers in baseball right now (and in some cases the last couple years ) outperforming Jenks at nowhere near the cost.

Matt Capps, Jon Rauch, Matt Lindstrom, Leo Nunez, Neftali Feliz, Heath Bell, Ryan Franklin. I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting. Point is that finding competent closers is not really all that difficult (at least it shouldn't be). I'm not trying to rag on Bobby. He's just dead weight for what he's making.

In fact, he pitched good today, and closed out the game, while this isn't Bobby Jenks sucks thread, this is a White Sox winner thread, give credit where credit is due wink.gif

Exactly.

Many of you just f***ing ignore him when he gets the job done in victories and that pisses me off. Why no credit?

Bobby rocks!

Just like Oz getting fired I hope we trade Bobby so many of you get your wish. It'll be fun to see somebody else get ripped after blowing tie games. Oh wait, it'll be Oz getting the blame for using the wrong closer. I don't understand the cliche where fans get sick of guys who have been around a long time. Bobby is still an effective closer whether you believe it or not.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 03:01 AM)
5 IP - 4 H - 0 R - 0 BB - 6 K - 3/3 Saves

That's his June line so far, maybe get off his back a little?

I didn't see him pitch today, but apparently he has not only had much better results in his last few appearances, but he's also had much better stuff. If that is indeed the case, then this is certainly something to be pleased with.

I think where guys like Fathom and Kalapse are coming from is that we shouldn't be jumping for joy that the guy has finally done in a few appearances what his pay grade suggests he should have been doing all along this season.

Certainly a good sign though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
Exactly.

Many of you just f***ing ignore him when he gets the job done in victories and that pisses me off. Why no credit?

Bobby rocks!

Just like Oz getting fired I hope we trade Bobby so many of you get your wish. It'll be fun to see somebody else get ripped after blowing tie games. Oh wait, it'll be Oz getting the blame for using the wrong closer. I don't understand the cliche where fans get sick of guys who have been around a long time. Bobby is still an effective closer whether you believe it or not.

First of all, the Sox just took two in a row from a division rival, including a great 3-0 victory yesterday, and arguments are still breaking out. Stop taking your frustrations out on each other!!

But, to my two cents in, I see where you are coming from Greg about giving Bobby credit. However, he did what he was supposed to do. That's awesome, and he's been solid in June. But he's supposed to be solid...all the time. He's the closer and has one job to do and gets paid well to do it. I think his June numbers look even better because of how bad he's looked before that. Bobby is an effective closer, you're right. But when he's bad, he's really bad. And when a player in such a high profile position is bad, it's really noticeable. Yes, Bobby has only blown one save, but he's blown other opportunities (and blown them badly). Obviously in those situations he wasn't being used as a closer, and I have a problem with that.

I like Bobby, and what he did for this team in 2005 will never be forgotten (remember the 100 mph fastballs that brought Bagwell to his knees in fear!?). I'm glad when he does well. I hope he continues his ways of June for the rest of the season. But he saved a game yesterday when the team had a three run lead, and he did it pretty convincingly. Great job, Bobby. Now go out and do that every time, and I'll stop cringing and looking away from the TV when you come into the game.