2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Not exactly sure how this new All-Star thing works, but the 6 players voted in by the fans were:

Blackhawks Toews & Keith, along with Penguins Crosby, Malkin, Letang, & Fleury

36 additional players will be selected by NHL Hockey Operations. The All Stars will then choose 2 captains, and then a draft will be held, in which the team captains take turns choosing among the All Stars.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
36 additional players will be selected by NHL Hockey Operations. The All Stars will then choose 2 captains, and then a draft will be held, in which the team captains take turns choosing among the All Stars.

Am I the only one looking forward to this NHL All-Star game with the fantasy draft?

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm with you...I think this is a pretty awesome idea

I think it would be funny if the two captains agree to take their first two picks last. So let's just say Toews/Malkin were captains. They agree behind the doors to take Sid/Ovechkin last.

Going to the Hawks game tomorrow night. Haven't gone since game 1 of the SCF. Hoping to bring some good luck on this homestand. Lord knows we need it.

As for last nights game, obviously a huge win, but I'm happy with the resiliency they showed. Always great to have Captain Serious back. Kane looked much better as well and the power play, outside of 1, looked fantastic. Hossa scoring is huge as well. We HAVE to get these guys going.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
Am I the only one looking forward to this NHL All-Star game with the fantasy draft?

Meh. I don't see how its gonna be any different than the other all star games. It's still gonna be the best players playing a meaningless hockey game with very little defense. Just instead of Campbell vs. Wales or East vs. West or N. America vs. the World, it will be Team Crosby vs. Team Toews or whatever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)

The draft is one of the coolest things that I can remember being done in a while imo. Granted, the game is still an exhibition and what not but the draft should be very fun.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)

I really wanted to go to the game, but it figures that although I live 5 minutes away from the RBC Center, I'll be in Aspen for 10 days working X-Games with my 2nd to last day being the 30th.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
I really wanted to go to the game, but it figures that although I live 5 minutes away from the RBC Center, I'll be in Aspen for 10 days working X-Games with my 2nd to last day being the 30th.

Are we supposed to feel bad for you? :P

With out knowing what you're actually doing, that sounds pretty awesome.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Are we supposed to feel bad for you? :P

With out knowing what you're actually doing, that sounds pretty awesome.

I work for the company that does the official timing and scoring. We also do the hat that runs on top of the screen. It's going to be pretty stressful out there, but I'm hoping it goes well. I've been working on nothing but X Games stuff since Dec 1.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
geez hawks are going to struggle just to make the playoffs

Really frustrating game. They got dominated in the neutral zone and Dallas played stellar D all night. It's like they forgot how to pass and handle the puck. It's nice that their healthy, but penalties have KILLED them. I think 5 of the last 7 goals have been on the PK.

Went to my first Hawks game ever and got a bobble head doll in the process. Pretty cool stuff. Sat in section 103 for free so I can't complain. They didn't handle the puck well tonight and the only period that they played well in was the second period.

Unbelievable...

Two of the Stars’ defensemen, Karlis Skrastins and Matt Niskanen collided with each other on the ice moments before the third period began.

Niskanen suffered a broken nose, chipped tooth and a cut on his wrist and Skrastins appeared to suffer a concussion. Neither of them played in the final 20 minutes.

“I’ve had it explained to me a couple of times,” Stars coach Marc Crawford said. "Skrasts really likes to get out and get his legs going in warm-up, especially since he was going to be out there on the penalty kill to start the period.

"And Matt Niskanen was out there and he was going all hell bent for leather, and apparently they collided heads and then a stick slashed Matt’s hand, so he broke his nose, chipped his teeth and cut his hand. And Skasts doesn’t even know he’s in Chicago, so we lost both of those guys go into the third.’’

http://www.csnchicago.com/01/05/11/Post-pr...&feedID=661

I saw this happen right in front of me before the 3rd. Just an extremely awkward collision and the moments after were even funnier. Skrastins was rattled, no doubt. Came right off the ice. Niskanen got up and looked extremely pissed.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
Unbelievable...

http://www.csnchicago.com/01/05/11/Post-pr...&feedID=661

I saw this happen right in front of me before the 3rd. Just an extremely awkward collision and the moments after were even funnier. Skrastins was rattled, no doubt. Came right off the ice. Niskanen got up and looked extremely pissed.

2 d-men down and we still lost. This season is definitely not looking magical.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:36 AM)
2 d-men down and we still lost. This season is definitely not looking magical.

It's obviously far from a lost season, and they have a lot of work to do, but it isn't anything that can't be fixed. The penalties have killed them the last few games, that is first and foremost. Those are things you can avoid. The power play is first in the NHL but the penalty kill is slowly dropping lower and lower, again, something that can be fixed. Dallas' first 3 goals tonight were on the PP and their 4th was an empty net. I think all but 1 of the Kings' goals the other night were on the PP as well, with the opening Handzus goal being just seconds after it expired.

Things just really haven't been bouncing their way lately though, and every team goes through stretches like this. It's not like they've been getting dominated at every facet of the game. Teams are scoring a lot of garbage goals against them.

The Hawks lost 9 in a row at one point last season, IIRC. They're healthy (knock on wood) which is extremely important. Now is when they need to get a little run going, to build that team chemistry even more. I think Coach Q has stuggled a lot trying to find good line combinations. Eventually they'll come. They can surely use another D-man though.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)
It's obviously far from a lost season, and they have a lot of work to do, but it isn't anything that can't be fixed. The penalties have killed them the last few games, that is first and foremost. Those are things you can avoid. The power play is first in the NHL but the penalty kill is slowly dropping lower and lower, again, something that can be fixed. Dallas' first 3 goals tonight were on the PP and their 4th was an empty net. I think all but 1 of the Kings' goals the other night were on the PP as well, with the opening Handzus goal being just seconds after it expired.

Things just really haven't been bouncing their way lately though, and every team goes through stretches like this. It's not like they've been getting dominated at every facet of the game. Teams are scoring a lot of garbage goals against them.

The Hawks lost 9 in a row at one point last season, IIRC. They're healthy (knock on wood) which is extremely important. Now is when they need to get a little run going, to build that team chemistry even more. I think Coach Q has stuggled a lot trying to find good line combinations. Eventually they'll come. They can surely use another D-man though.

Don't listen to 24/7. Boudreau told a white lie on that one. 4 was the longest losing streak last year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)

If you could have one play to represent this season, it would be Stalberg hitting 3 posts and getting nothing out of it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)

You remember very incorrectly. This stat for whatever reason is going around right now, but it's entirely inaccurate.

The Hawks are middle of the pack and until their stars start playing like it (I'm staring you in the f***ing eye, Hossa and Kane) they aren't going to be any better.

It's killing me to see how ineffective the 7 million dollar man Brian Campbell is while looking at Big Buff's statistics while manning the blue line this season for the Thrashers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
You remember very incorrectly. This stat for whatever reason is going around right now, but it's entirely inaccurate.

The Hawks are middle of the pack and until their stars start playing like it (I'm staring you in the f***ing eye, Hossa and Kane) they aren't going to be any better.

It's killing me to see how ineffective the 7 million dollar man Brian Campbell is while looking at Big Buff's statistics while manning the blue line this season for the Thrashers.

To be fair, ATL runs a totally different scheme for their blueliners that makes them rack up more points. Buff is literally a 4th forward when he's on the ice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
To be fair, ATL runs a totally different scheme for their blueliners that makes them rack up more points. Buff is literally a 4th forward when he's on the ice.

Oh trust me, I'm aware. Tobias Enstrom is dominating for my fantasy team. I've got quite a few Thrashers games this season, though, and Buff has taken his game to another level and is a true force out there, and Campbell's contract is killing us.

Not that I'm suggesting the Hawks could have done anything about Campbell's contract this offseason, I know they couldn't... however it does remain frustrating.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
lol, Canada just blew a 3-0 third period lead in the juniors world championship to Russia.

5-3 Russia with a minute left.

LOL, the whole Russian team got kicked off their flight for being too unruly (read: drunk). Way to live up the stereotype guys!

Epic collpase by Canada though, and they take the Juniors pretty seriously.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
Don't listen to 24/7. Boudreau told a white lie on that one. 4 was the longest losing streak last year.

You know, I was kinda wondering about that. I don't remember them ever having a horrible stretch like that last year. Shoulda looked it up myself. Oops.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
LOL, the whole Russian team got kicked off their flight for being too unruly (read: drunk). Way to live up the stereotype guys!

Epic collpase by Canada though, and they take the Juniors pretty seriously.

There's a stereotype about drunk Russians???