2010-2011 NHL thread

I'll play Polyanna: All these injuries will end up being a good thing; they'll force the new guys to play more, integrate better etc., and the skill guys who have missed chunks of time in the regular season will be fresher come playoffs, which will be important given the short offseason this year. The fact that the Hawks consistently cashed in on the power play w/o Hossa and Kaner the other night means all is not lost.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
I'll play Polyanna: All these injuries will end up being a good thing; they'll force the new guys to play more, integrate better etc., and the skill guys who have missed chunks of time in the regular season will be fresher come playoffs, which will be important given the short offseason this year. The fact that the Hawks consistently cashed in on the power play w/o Hossa and Kaner the other night means all is not lost.

Sadly, you are assuming that the Blackhawks make the playoffs. If they sneak in with full health, anything can happen, but even Q said they need 95 points to get in, which requires them to be pretty damn good the rest of the way.

Given we have no word on Kaner, that cannot be good. We'll see what happens.

Anyone who cares to consider just how f***ing amazing the Blackhawks were last season look no further than Dustin Byfuglien's production in Atlanta this season.

He has 32 points...

...in 31 games...

...while playing Defense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
These type of seasons are much more bearable when you start them as defending Stanley Cup Champions. :headbang

You know, it's okay for us as fans to think that way. But I'm starting to wonder if the players themselves are thinking that way as well. After all, most of the very important players on this team were also on it last year. It just seems like the killer instinct isn't there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Kaner could be back by Friday, per Rotoworld:

Patrick Kane (ankle) returned to ice on Wednesday for practice and he may be able to dress in Chicago's game against Detroit on Friday.

"Friday is a possibility," said Kane. "I just have to see how I am (Thursday) in practice and Friday in the pregame skate and hopefully I can make a decision by then." He has been sidelined since Dec. 6 with an ankle injury. Stay tuned for updates. Dec. 15 - 2:05 pm et

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Chelios got booed. Not sure how I feel about it. I can see both sides.

Chris Chelios was the face of the franchise for a decade, played through every injury, and won two Norris Trophies. He spent his prime on a team that traded off all of his teammates and phenomenal players such as Jeremy Roenick and Ed Belfour to name just a couple. The Blackhawks completely stopped trying in the late 90s and THEY gave up on him predicting he was nearing the end of his rope. Chelios requested a trade to a contender, and the Blackhawks presented him with the option of the Detroit trade, which I'm sure was a difficult choice.

He won Cups in Montreal and Detroit, and the only stop he couldn't was his hometown Chicago because ownership sucked big time and basically gave up for the 2nd half of his tenure with the Hawks.

Yeah, let's boo the guy for being the best defenseman in the NHL for the better part of a decade on our roster and watching management completely destroy the roster around him.

Anyone who booed Chelly last night is an idiot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Chris Chelios was the face of the franchise for a decade, played through every injury, and won two Norris Trophies. He spent his prime on a team that traded off all of his teammates and phenomenal players such as Jeremy Roenick and Ed Belfour to name just a couple. The Blackhawks completely stopped trying in the late 90s and THEY gave up on him predicting he was nearing the end of his rope. Chelios requested a trade to a contender, and the Blackhawks presented him with the option of the Detroit trade, which I'm sure was a difficult choice.

He won Cups in Montreal and Detroit, and the only stop he couldn't was his hometown Chicago because ownership sucked big time and basically gave up for the 2nd half of his tenure with the Hawks.

Yeah, let's boo the guy for being the best defenseman in the NHL for the better part of a decade on our roster and watching management completely destroy the roster around him.

Anyone who booed Chelly last night is an idiot.

Right. That's one side to the story. The other side being that he said he'd never ever play for the Wings, then played there for 10 seasons and now work in their front office. Like I said, I understand why people would feel either way. I'm kind of indifferent to it.

Like I told someone else, it'd be like Dick Butkus playing for the Packers.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Right. That's one side to the story. The other side being that he said he'd never ever play for the Wings, then played there for 10 seasons and now work in their front office. Like I said, I understand why people would feel either way. I'm kind of indifferent to it.

If a team showed interest in me while my team was sending every player with talent away the moment they brought up the idea of being paid a fair amount, I'd jump ship, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
If a team showed interest in me while my team was sending every player with talent away the moment they brought up the idea of being paid a fair amount, I'd jump ship, too.

It's easy to say that in generality when the teams aren't the Blackhawks and the Red Wings.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)

Like I told someone else, it'd be like Dick Butkus playing for the Packers.

My friend who is a die hard hockey fan is on the other rope who booed the hell out of him because he was such a dick not only to the fans but alot of his quotes after he left Chicago.. oh and that wearing a Wings jersey on the Hawks 75th anniversary. He called the people who cheered last night the "bandwagon fans" who only want to remember Cheli how this new McCub regime WANTS them to remember them as. Though I'm sure there were other die hards who cheered for him as well and other "bandwagon" fans who booed him.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Chelios got booed. Not sure how I feel about it. I can see both sides.

He absolutely deserved it, I'd have booed too. I don't blame him for doing what he could to get out of Chicago as the dark ages set in, but to say what he did about Detroit while he was here and then not only agree to a trade there, but play there for such a long time, work in their front office, and say what he did about Chicago after the fact....he's a hypocrite. The fact he had a heritage night is an EPIC joke, and anybody who didn't boo him probably just doesn't know how the situation played out. And while I don't have a problem with those people, Chelios deserved the booing he got.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Its tough. I respect his play and what he did here, but hate lots of things about him and all he's said and done afterward. The tapes of his drunk drving arrest were hilariously pathetic, and altough I don't know him, I have no problem believing that he's an absolute douche. As a veteran, I've always held him at least partially responsible for the embarssment that was the Olympic room-trashing, but Steve has posted strongly and convincingly that this was not the case (although I don't remember why). Personally, I woudn't have booed him "on his night" as the purpose was to honor his considerable contributions while here, but I'm not going to throw stones at anyone who did.