¡Viva la Revolución!

Heads22

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Believe you? Not calling you a liar or anything but how much have you seen him play? Do you get the Birmingham video feed? I saw he had 30 errors which is alot obviously last season but what kind of errors were they? Throwing errors? Fielding the ball errors? How is his range? How is his arm? Does he have the ability to improve? Alot of guys coming up through the minors playing on less than ideal playing contions put up alot of errors as well. I'd love to see him play there first before we start dubbing him as being worst than Teahen.

And Joe Crede had 30+ errors multiple times down in the minors and ended up improving over time. Not saying he will be the next Crede but give the guy some time.

Ok don't believe me then. I don't care. I agree lots of decent fielders make a ton of errors in the minors due to bad field conditions or just being young. I am just trying to pass on to you some useful info and what to expect.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Believe you? Not calling you a liar or anything but how much have you seen him play? Do you get the Birmingham video feed? I saw he had 30 errors which is alot obviously last season but what kind of errors were they? Throwing errors? Fielding the ball errors? How is his range? How is his arm? Does he have the ability to improve? Alot of guys coming up through the minors playing on less than ideal playing conditions put up alot of errors as well. I'd love to see him play there first before we start dubbing him as being worst than Teahen.

And Joe Crede had 30+ errors multiple times down in the minors and ended up improving over time. Not saying he will be the next Crede but give the guy some time.

I see where you're coming form but the organization has moved him to 1B, for one because of Morel coming up but also because Viciedo was bad at 3rd.

Let's face it, he's no defensive wiz, many on this board declared him 1B of the future, and I'm talking about guys who follow the minors on regular basis.

Maybe they care to chime in?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Ok don't believe me then. I don't care. I agree lots of decent fielders make a ton of errors in the minors due to bad field conditions or just being young. I am just trying to pass on to you some useful info and what to expect.

Like I said, not calling you a liar. I just want to know if you have seen him play or this is what you hear from this board or from other websites and deem it to be accurate. He might be a butcher at 3B for all I know. Just trying to gage your opinion.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
IMO this move is going to result in either Pk, andruw, or Q being moved soon.

I think that's unlikely. We had Nix and Lillibridge both on the team as reserve infielders, we simply didn't need both. Might as well get a look at your future talent, and add a potentially powerful bat, especially for playing interleague games with some pinch hitting opportunities.

We may move some of those guys, but this is not related to that, IMO.

I know this is a fantasy baseball article, but still an interesting analysis of the Cuban Tank.

A right-handed hitter, Viciedo has been having his way against the International League southpaws, hitting .364 with six home runs and a 1.226 OPS, with four walks and 11 strikeouts. Against right-handers, however, he was hitting .268 with eight home runs and a .741 OPS, drawing four walks against 41 strikeouts. That's just an awful rate, and even the worst major league right-handed pitchers will easily find holes in this swing. For the record, the home runs the past three games were hit off of lefty Jose Lugo (6.95 ERA), right-hander Jeff Mandel (4.54 ERA) and former Washington Nationals lefty Matt Chico (4.46 ERA), not exactly juggernauts.

When I think of Viciedo, my thoughts race back to when Andy Marte was an Atlanta Braves prospect. The Braves seemed to know his limitations, so they dealt him to the Boston Red Sox. A month later, the Red Sox sent him to the Cleveland Indians. Six years later, Marte has hit .217 in the big leagues with 16 home runs.

Viciedo has ample opportunity to improve on this, but when a right-handed power hitter can't do better than four walks against 41 strikeouts in the minors, color me skeptical there will be much initial success in the majors. The White Sox have little to lose because, let's face it, Vizquel has no power and it's unlikely he can keep hitting .300 as a regular at the age of 43, but I'm betting Viciedo is back in Charlotte before the end of the season.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
If he doesn't play every day, does Steve Stone go off on Ozzie?

Probably not, he treats us with kid gloves for the most part. He knows where the paycheck is coming from.

At any rate, hopefully the Cuban Pimp gets some burn. See what he can do.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
This might be good for viciedo...he gets to learn from major league players and coaches...and experience major league pitching. Could be what he needs to make the next step...dunno, but I hope he does well.

Nothing on the topic...never seen the kid play outside of ST. All I wanted to say is the kitten mittens sig is easily one of my favorites on the site :lolhitting

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
This is what I wrote about him last year. I watched him play almost 70 games in person. He's not a lost cause at all for third base.

JPNese 7/26/09

Awesome write up. You follow the Barons alot so I trust your judgements. If popups are his major problem defensively, it seems as though that could be worked on. We also have a real good rangy SS in Ramirez so it makes me feel better about those type of plays. I really hope Ozzie gives him a real shot and plays him 5 times a week. Let Vizquel and Lilli sub in at the end of games for D. This lineup really needs a spark and hopefully he can do it.

It seemed like Nix had some tools offensively.

I wonder what made him a flop offensively? It's pretty obvious Oz didn't like what he brought to the table.

He was a human sieve at third, which didn't help. But wasn't he serviceable at second? I'd think the Royals would sign him or somebody short on second base prospects.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
IMO this move is going to result in either Pk, andruw, or Q being moved soon.

I think it depends on what happens in the next month. If the Sox close the gap on the Twins, PK is going nowhere and it will likely mean that CQ has picked it up with the bat. Teahen will come back, Viciendo slides to DH full time, Lilli goes back to AAA. If the Sox dont make a move to contend, then I two of the three will be gone by the end of July. I cant see KW selling this low on CQ.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
Awesome write up. You follow the Barons alot so I trust your judgements. If popups are his major problem defensively, it seems as though that could be worked on. We also have a real good rangy SS in Ramirez so it makes me feel better about those type of plays. I really hope Ozzie gives him a real shot and plays him 5 times a week. Let Vizquel and Lilli sub in at the end of games for D. This lineup really needs a spark and hopefully he can do it.

Agreed, great write up. I disagree about his defense but hey we all have our opinions and I sure hope JPN is right! While I haven't seen him play nearly as much I get my info from some very reliable sources. I have been told his only plus attribute is his arm and everything else is below average. I think they have to give him a lot of PT or it would be a waste to let him rot on the bench. The thing I am most concerned about is the K/BB ratio.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
If he doesn't play every day, does Steve Stone go off on Ozzie?

I think Ozzie will play him once the Sox get past Strasburg, he once the kid to start off with success and build confidence on this level so he is going to pick matchups at first to build confidence and then let him go. I would not be surprised to see him hit tonight as a PH late in the game or brought in if the game gets lopsided in one way or the other.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2178689:date=Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:17 PM:name=Milkman delivers)-->
QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
<!--quotec-->I don't even get it.

And I assume that it's because Dylon and Dayan sound similar.

That is a terrible nickname.

The "Cuban Tank" is a terrible nickname too. And whats with the "Viva la Revolución" since he is considered a traitor by Fidel like the other Cubans. Dayan probably feels the same way as Tony Montana:

1267909637_top-10-drug-dealers_1.jpg

"Hey man, I am a political refugee"