Time For a New Leadoff Hitter

Lillian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 06:06 AM)
The Sox should bring up De Aza and let him lead off and play left field. He's not only a decent hitter with a little pop, but he can also steal a base. His defense is good enough to play CF, and in left he would be way above league average.

This link provides a little insight on De Aza:

http://soxbronzetitan.wordpress.com/2010/0...ejandro-de-aza/

I was thinking the same thing. Does anybody think that De Aza couldn't at least beat Juan Pierre's 59 OPS+? In addition to his speed, he can actually take a walk and get a few extra base hits.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
I was thinking the same thing. Does anybody think that De Aza couldn't at least beat Juan Pierre's 59 OPS+? In addition to his speed, he can actually take a walk and get a few extra base hits.

Did you notice De Aza's line vs. RHP this year in AAA?

97 AB .330 Avg .425 OBP .485 SLG

7 doubles 1 triple 2 HR's 11 RBI 14 BB 14 SO 8 SB 0 CS

Last year at AAA in half of a season, vs. right and left handed pitching:

267 AB .300 Avg .370 OBP .506 SLG

21 doubles 5 triples 8 HR 34 RBI

Add his good defense, and you get a pretty compelling player for consideration to take Pierre's place.

If he can perform anywhere near that level, you can then try to move Pierre in the off season, and get some salary relief to be applied toward other needs.

What's wrong with giving him a chance to show what he can do? It'd beat watching Pierre's "Punch and Judy" routine.

Jeez, can the guy even hit a fly ball deep enough to score a runner from third? The only way he gets on is with a "seeing eye" single, or a blooper. I'm sick of watching it. At least Pods wasn't affraid to drive in a big run.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I'd like to see De Aza on this roster.

Give Pierre something to play for. When he was given a chance last year, he hit real well. It's as if the guy can't hit when there's nothing endangering him.

+1 for me. I dont understand why he isnt being given some consideration.

I f***ing hate Juan Pierre and his tired bulls*** hitting.

What's wrong with giving him a chance to show what he can do? It'd beat watching Pierre's "Punch and Judy" routine.

Jeez, can the guy even hit a fly ball deep enough to score a runner from third? The only way he gets on is with a "seeing eye" single, or a blooper. I'm sick of watching it. At least Pods wasn't affraid to drive in a big run.

No he can't hit a deep fly ball.

He is kind of likeable, however. Seems like he plays hard day in and out. Just has no pop in the bat whatsoever.