Time For a New Leadoff Hitter

Lillian

It may be time to think of replacing Pierre as the lead off hitter.

Although he has hit better of late, his On Base Percentage is completely unacceptable for a lead off hitter. It seems pretty unrealistic to expect him to produce any better than he has over his last 5 seasons in the National League, during which time his OBP was only around .330.

He doesn't have the ability to drive the ball in the gaps for extra base hits, especially with the small alleys in the Cell. He does see a pretty high number of pitches per plate appearance, and hits a lot of foul balls, which is a positive attribute for the lead off hitter, but he simply does not represent the best "table setting" option for the Sox. While providing a stolen base threat is a valuable attribute, it is not as important as getting on base, which is the number one priority of a lead off hitter.

Another point to consider is that the lead off hitter gets more total plate appearances than anyone in the lineup. Can you really afford to give the most at bats to a guy with a way below league average OBP?

Fortunately, the Sox don't have to look to acquire a lead off hitter, as the team already has a much better option. Rios processes all of the desirable attributes of a lead off hitter. He has the ability to steal a base, in fact he's close to Pierre's League leading production in that department.

He's always been a doubles machine, and is currently leading the Sox in that department, with 17.

I will concede that historically, he hasn't been a very high OBP guy, but this year he seems to have improved that part of his game, and is currently second only to Konerko, with a .372 OBP. In fact, he's closer to Konerko than to the third ranking OBP on the Sox.

Perhaps he's taking more pitches, and maybe that has in part been responsible for his overall offensive improvement this season.

Just ask yourself, would you rather give the highest number of at bats in the season to Juan Pierre, or Alex Rios.

Of course, the biggest argument against Rios leading off is that it takes him out of the middle of the order. However, I'm assuming that K.W. will find that missing LH power bat to sandwich in between Konerko and Quentin. If the Sox can add that missing piece, then you have the luxury of batting Rios first, and move Pierre to 9th. If that left handed acquisition is an outfielder, then you could bench Pierre.

I personally would still rather have Jones in the line up than Pierre, but that's because I'd prefer to have the run production, than another stolen base threat. I understand that his average has come way down, but that hasn't been helped by his infrequent playing time. Power hitters need consistent at bats. Remember, this is the time year when balls begin to fly out of The Cell, and Jones is a guy who can hit homers in bunches.

Here is a suggested lineup with Rios at leadoff, and Carlos Delgado as my pick for a LH power bat. I also left Vizquel at third, even after Teahen comes off the DL. I really like Omar in the "2 hole", and love his stabilizing effect on the left side of the infield, although of course he can't play every day:

CF Rios

3B Vizquel

LF Quentin

DH Delgado

1B Konerko

C A.J.

RF Jones

2B Beckham

SS Ramirez

Pierre can pinch run for Konerko and Delgado.

Kotsay becomes the LH hitter off the bench, although I don't really know for whom he would pinch hit.

I haven't considered what to do with Teahen. If he could start hitting, maybe they could platoon him with Jones, and give Mark some playing time in the outfield, where he wouldn't be such a defensive liability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no one else to hit leadoff. It's really that simple.

Vizquel? Eh, maybe I guess if you're comfortable with him being a full time player, which I am not.

Rios? Yeah sure, but absolutely not when he is one of the only guys consistently driving people in. He needs to be hitting 3rd.

Simply put, Pierre is our only legitimate option right now.

Rios can't leadoff when he is your second best offensive player. If you want somebody to leadoff, it should be Vizquel, he has a decent OBP right now. Pierre should be hitting 9th.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
We've won 9 in a row and 13 of 14. I'll wait til we lose a few to suggest big changes.

To argue that you don't make any changes because they're winning is not very convincing. Pierre is not the reason that they're winning.

The main reason that the Sox have suddenly turned it around is because the pitching is finally living up to its expectations.

Pierre hasn't had an extra base hit in a month. He doesn't get on base nearly enough for a lead off hitter. You do all realize that his OBP is still only .315!!!

They aren't winning because of him, they're winning in spite of him.

The Sox have to get better at lead off if they're going to keep winning. After all, they won't be facing the weakest N.L. teams the rest of the way.

I guarantee you that K.W. isn't thinking he doesn't need to tinker with this team just because it finally put together a decent run.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
To argue that you don't make any changes because they're winning is not very convincing. Pierre is not the reason that they're winning.

The main reason that the Sox have suddenly turned it around is because the pitching is finally living up to its expectations.

Pierre hasn't had an extra base hit in a month. He doesn't get on base nearly enough for a lead off hitter. You do all realize that his OBP is still only .315!!!

The Sox have to get better at lead off if they're going to keep winning. After all, they won't be facing the weakest N.L. teams the rest of the way.

I guarantee you that K.W. isn't thinking he doesn't need to tinker with this team just because it finally put together a decent run.

They're winning in spite of about 8 guys right now tho...

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)

That's not true, he hit a triple a little over a week ago.

I agree with your point in principle, except that Rios can't be anywhere but the 3-hole right now. If you wanna bat Vizquel there for a few days cuz he's (relatively) hot, then sure, but let's not forget that 3 weeks ago we were mocking Omar Vizquel's very existence so I don't see how we can view him as dependable.

Pierre is our only option there right now, as much as it pains us to say it.

The idea that since we are on a hot streak, we shouldn't try and improve this team is silly. Sure, we are on an incredible tear right now and playing great, but the offense as a whole is still wildly inconsistent. In fact, this would be the best time to make moves to improve the team. Don't forget that 2 weeks ago this was a god awful team. A 2 week hot streak shouldn't wipe the slate clean for everyone.

We should take this opportunity now, grab it by the horns, and make sure we don't let it slip away by being complacent.

Being an anti-Juan Pierrist I would love little more than to see a legitimate AL lead-off man replace him right now, but not even I would make that kind of change in the middle of what could potentially become a 34-game win streak. We're at 9 right now, and IMO Kenny doesn't do anything until we're at least losing a couple games. We'll probably have to go on a 2-game losing streak at least, because one game and Kenny will just be confused as he'll have forgotten the feeling of a loss since it hasn't happened in ages, so it sould take at least two to get Kenny to realize he's got moves to make. But that would be okay.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
It would be nice to add a better leadoff hitter, but there is a bigger blackhole in the lineup at the DH spot which could be improved immensely.

Agree.

I've never ever been a Juan fan, but this month his OBP is exactly where it should be and the defense he's played out there in left has been undeniable. Right now he's helping us win ballgames.