Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Wouldn't that make him pretty cheap to get from the O's? I see your concerns but other than LaRoche I don't see many lefty options that aren't named Dunn or Fielder. He is not ideal but I would think he could be had pretty easily.

Not when you're dealing with MacPhail. Like Stone said; he wants $1.50 for his $1 -- and got if for Bedard -- and is under no pressure to immediately deal Scott since the team does have the money to keep him around and he's still under their control for another 2 years. When Andy MacPhail holds all the cards it's really tough to hammer out a deal with him. Don't get me wrong I do love Luke Scott I just see a lot more hurdles in the way than others do.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't understand why that would even be a big deal for John. His brother has proven to be a pretty terrible baseball player anyways and he may never make it in the majors anyways. If the Sox can get value at all for Jordan Danks, then they should probably do it.

That's why I said "if." But I think it's more perception than reality. Has John even hinted that having Jordan in the organization would play any role whatsoever on if he signs an extension or not? I'm sure he'd love to play with Jordan. But that's about it.

I have a feeling this is going to go all the way down to the last hour of the deadline.

Rizzo wants to milk as much as he can out of us.

But if we can wait it out, I think the chances are decent we get Dunn without giving up Hudson.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
I'd trade John Danks yesterday if having his little brother, who's bad at baseball, on the team in any way plays a role in if he signs an extension or not.

He hasn't signed an extension yet, so I wouldn't let that bother me at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
That's why I said "if." But I think it's more perception than reality. Has John even hinted that having Jordan in the organization would play any role whatsoever on if he signs an extension or not? I'm sure he'd love to play with Jordan. But that's about it.

If dumping Boras the day after we drafted D2 isn't a sign that it's at least helpful, I don't know what else is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I would have a hard time parting with Hudson, solely because of Peavy's injury. Had Peavy not been hurt, sign me up. I wonder if we could do VIciedo and two of that group? I think I would do it, but even than, I have my doubts as to whether we would be a World Series contender which makes me partially think twice.

I wouldn't have those doubts if Peavy didn't go down.

I would do a Hudson and Morel combination to get Dunn IF the White Sox are granted a period to negotiate with Dunn to get that four year, $60M deal worked out that the Nats won't give him. He strikes out a lot but his OBP is over .380, he hits 40 HR's per season and drives in nearly 100 runs. No offense to Paulie but give him Konerko's money.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
I would do a Hudson and Morel combination to get Dunn IF the White Sox are granted a period to negotiate with Dunn to get that four year, $60M deal worked out that the Nats won't give him. He strikes out a lot but his OBP is over .380, he hits 40 HR's per season and drives in nearly 100 runs. No offense to Paulie but give him Konerko's money.

That's a lot more than Konerko's money...and that's probably such a large deal that we'd have to find someone else to take a salary off our hands in the offseason just in order to afford to add a near-minimum contract 5th starter, C, and Dh for next season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Not when you're dealing with MacPhail. Like Stone said; he wants $1.50 for his $1 -- and got if for Bedard -- and is under no pressure to immediately deal Scott since the team does have the money to keep him around and he's still under their control for another 2 years. When Andy MacPhail holds all the cards it's really tough to hammer out a deal with him. Don't get me wrong I do love Luke Scott I just see a lot more hurdles in the way than others do.

Ahh. I forgot about the MacPhail aspect of the deal. Well crap then. Good thing AZ gives their players away for nothing. Maybe if Dunn doesn't work out LaRoche could be a July 31st possibility.

If all it takes to get 2 months of Dunn is Hudson and Flowers, that could be a cheap price. The scouting reports on Flowers are bad and I trust Keith Law's opinion on Hudson -- it's doubtful either of those guys ever has impact at the major league level. I can't believe that Washington wouldn't hold out for those 2 plus someone off the major league roster (like Santos).

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
I don't want Dunn for 4 years and $60 million. No way.

2 years at $24 million? Maybe.

He will get that four year, $60 million deal from someone. If you are going to trade Hudson and Morel for him you have to make an effort to keep him, maybe even over pay a bit. Otherwise he's completely not worth a two month rental. Konerko is at $12M per year, Dunn could be given $15M. Jenks won't be back next year so take that $7M+ right off the books. The Sox can afford Dunn, the question is do they want to?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
I'd be astonished if he gets stuck with that level deal again this offseason.

The thing with Dunn is that since he's nothing but a DH, that's all he should be worth.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
The thing with Dunn is that since he's nothing but a DH, that's all he should be worth.

Should be...I can grant you that...but in reality...how many teams thought that the rotating DH idea was a great concept coming into the season and are now stuck with .750 OPS's from that position?

If you were the Angels, wouldn't you pay that easily?

Why would the Nationals have interest in Morel? They have a top 5 3Bman in the game in Zimmerman, and it's not like Morel is some uber prospect that they could deal for a great pitching prospect. The only semi-logical answer to that would be that they think Morel can play 2B or that his bat can handle a shift to the outfield, but I think both are a bit far fetched to assume at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Why would the Nationals have interest in Morel? They have a top 5 3Bman in the game in Zimmerman, and it's not like Morel is some uber prospect that they could deal for a great pitching prospect. The only semi-logical answer to that would be that they think Morel can play 2B or that his bat can handle a shift to the outfield, but I think both are a bit far fetched to assume at this point.

Sorry, I threw Morel in there just as an example of one of the other three that the Nats would want. Feel free to sub him out with Tyler Flowers and I'm still fine with the deal. Daniel Hudson and Tyler Flowers for Adam Dunn. Not sure what to do with the 5th starter spot at that point. I guess it would be Torres unless Kenny can really make a surprise move and grab a starter as well. That may leave the farm system completely depleted....if it isn't already.