Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (since56 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
We got rid of Thome ( a left handed home run hitter ) so Ozzie could get away from an everyday dh. Now we are going after Dunn ( a left handed home run hitter ) to make him our everyday dh? I don't get it. If we are committed to a new style of play then lets commit, and get past the slow strikeout guys in the middle of our lineup.

Dunn is much more effective than Thome is at this stage of his career. As far as changing styles go, I think they have already addressed that by getting Rios, Pierre, Ramirez and Beckham. This team will still have pleanty of speed.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got rid of Thome ( a left handed home run hitter ) so Ozzie could get away from an everyday dh. Now we are going after Dunn ( a left handed home run hitter ) to make him our everyday dh? I don't get it. If we are committed to a new style of play then lets commit, and get past the slow strikeout guys in the middle of our lineup.

Adam Dunn is arguably faster than Mark Kotsay. I really don't know why people think Kosay is anything but slow, he's also a pretty s***ty baserunner from what I've seen.

The Indians traded Lee to the then-reigning World Series champion Phillies for Jason Donald, Lou Marson, Carlos Carrasco and Jason Knapp. Donald has done a creditable job as a utility infielder, hitting .254, with promise. Catcher Lou Marson has been a disappointment, hitting .191; he is better than that, but now Carlos Santana is in town, and Santana is a franchise player. Carrasco is 6-3 in Columbus but has yet to prove he can pitch in the Major Leagues, while Jason Knapp is working to get healthy and is 2-7 in low A ball.

That, from a big market team with a fabulous fan base that thought it could win it all again.

Then when the Phillies traded away top prospects for Roy Halladay and were told that it would take CC Sabathia money to extend Lee, they moved him to Seattle for Phillippe Aumont, J.C. Ramirez and Tyson Gillies. Aumont was demoted to A ball and has a 7.01 ERA, Ramirez is at Double-A and has a 4.31 ERA on the year, while Gillies is hitting .238 in Double-A.

Jack Zduriencik is very smart, putting Lee's name out there early to see if he can get a bidding war going. Neither the Indians nor Phillies got what today you'd say is a pair of first-round picks, so if he doesn't get what he wants, he can hold Lee and get two picks of his choice in next year's Draft. In the meanwhile, he can see what he can get.

"I'm listening," says Zduriencik. "But it has to be the right kind of deal." Which means two or three cornerstone players, which is what Mark Shapiro got from Montreal by moving Bartolo Colon early in return for Lee, Sizemore and Phillips, and what then-Mariners GM Woody Woodward got at the deadline in 1998 when he moved Randy Johnson to Houston for Carlos Guillen, Freddie Garcia and John Halama.

from the Gammons article at mlb.com

The Sox will add a bat but i don't think it necessarily has to be a LH bat. That would be ideal but any good bat is an upgrade over having to see Kotsay and Jones in the DH spot. I'm still holding out for/suggesting Corey Hart. Put him in RF, Quentin to DH, and get Viciedo more time at 3B,with Omar coming in for defense, and the lineup looks alot more potent. I know i'm in the vast minority but the return of Teahen, i think, will also have a nice impact on the lineup from the LH side of the plate. You could move Omar back to a rotating reserve and platoon Viciedo/Teahan at 3B.

Because it's quite obvious that the White Sox offense is mediocre and that, without going 14-1 over a 15 game stretch, this team is 10 games below .500 and a lot of that has to do with the offense (it's probably equal 50-50 pitching and offense). If the Sox could improve their offense in any way shape or form, you must do it at this point in time.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
The Sox will add a bat but i don't think it necessarily has to be a LH bat. That would be ideal but any good bat is an upgrade over having to see Kotsay and Jones in the DH spot. I'm still holding out for/suggesting Corey Hart. Put him in RF, Quentin to DH, and get Viciedo more time at 3B,with Omar coming in for defense, and the lineup looks alot more potent. I know i'm in the vast minority but the return of Teahen, i think, will also have a nice impact on the lineup from the LH side of the plate. You could move Omar back to a rotating reserve and platoon Viciedo/Teahan at 3B.

Calling up Viciedo to have him platoon for the rest of the season would be absolutely terrible for his development. However, I do think some, including myself are overlooking the return of Mark Teahen.

Well, one way to look at it would be this....

We're currently 4-5 against KC and 4-8 against CLE, for a total of 8-13.

If you swung us around to where we SHOULD be against those two teams (13-8 or 14-7), we'd be 13-15 games over .500 and in first place.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
It's going to take more than Torres, Lillibridge, CJ Retherford or John Shelby III.

They're going to ask for Danks, another pitcher not named Hudson and maybe a low minors arm at least.

Garret Jones

anyone? 1B/OF with pop from the left side.

Current slash: .284/.356/.449/.805

Don't Look Ace!

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
I have no idea what PIT would ask for but it won't be insane like the Dunn price. Maybe Flowers would do the trick.

A guy like Jones doesn't make me want to give up Flowers.

If we're going to give up Flowers, I'd rather just go for broke and give up he and Hudson for some kind of stud player.

If not, I'd rather try and find a cheaper solution.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Hah, sorry...was just playing a joke on SoxAce...but Fathom had to go and ruin it...

Him and his 564893639462073 posts...

No worries. How much does it suck when the Sox lose the night before an off day?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)

If we're going to give up Flowers, I'd rather just go for broke and give up he and Hudson for some kind of stud player.

agreed

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)

Flowers' upside is crashing fast.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
Flowers' upside is crashing fast.

I think you have to be a bit more patient with catchers than other position players.

I dunno if he'll ever turn into what he looked like he might a year ago, but he has the ability to be the best catcher we've had since Carlton Fisk.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Three quality starts - two losses to KC. Kenny has gotta be working the phones like an NBA GM these days.

Well, you win 2 of 3 if your pen doesn't give up 5 tonight.

Of course, I doubt Greinke comes out unfocused if he didn't have that 6 run lead.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
I think you have to be a bit more patient with catchers than other position players.

I dunno if he'll ever turn into what he looked like he might a year ago, but he has the ability to be the best catcher we've had since Carlton Fisk.

Yeah, it's all or nothing at the plate for him lately. I did like the recent reports on him defensively. The Sox just don't have many chips these days and Hudson should be

close to untouchable unless its a huge haul like you said.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
Well, you win 2 of 3 if your pen doesn't give up 5 tonight.

Of course, I doubt Greinke comes out unfocused if he didn't have that 6 run lead.

I really hated that 1st inning bomb Jake gave up to Butler. I though for sure they gameplanned to just pitch around him as he had 2 outs and he's hit Peavy hard in his career.

Jake just served up a 3-1 heater and Butler was sitting on it.