7/8 - The OC versus us.

Heads22

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
The Sox got Alex Rios for free. Had the Sox given up a bevy of prospects for Alex Rios last year, like the Sox would have to do for Dan Haren this year, people would be ripping the deal to shreds.

Sox on the board. Kotsay would be wise to get a hit.

You don't know that. Obviously I don't want to trade Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo, or other top 'spects for Haren, unless it means LaRoche + Haren. Just because I would like to see us get Dan Haren, doesn't mean I think we should clean out our farm for them. Cliff Lee he is not.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
I'd rather pitch Hudson than Haren, and that's not even counting that we'd have to give up prospects to get Haren. No thanks.

Use what little capital we have in the minors to get Dunn on a decent deal if possible, or some other bat, and pitch Hudson.

Haren = stud.

Hudson = potential middle rotation starter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
The Sox got Alex Rios for free. Had the Sox given up a bevy of prospects for Alex Rios last year, like the Sox would have to do for Dan Haren this year, people would be ripping the deal to shreds.

Sox on the board. Kotsay would be wise to get a hit.

That's be the steal of 2010, depending on what we give up.

Dan Haren is a beast. He's having a down year, but his peripherals look almost like what they were these previous years. His 3.84 FIP and his 3.46 xFIP aren't too much worse than what they were last year.

I think the sabermetric people would love the trade, everybody else will hate it. Just like the Rios trade last year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
It's really amazing that there was actually talk of trading "Bacon Slayer" (when is the last time we've seen that?) straight up to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez, and a lot of people around here and on the radio were saying no way to that.

I'd bet there are people that still wouldn't do it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

Dan Haren is a beast. He's having a down year, but his peripherals look almost like what they were these previous years. His 3.84 FIP and his 3.46 xFIP aren't too much worse than what they were last year.

I think the sabermetric people would love the trade, everybody else will hate it. Just like the Rios trade last year.

I'd love to get Haren too, but the fact that Hudson is under team control for 6 years has to count for something.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Every morning I wake up sobbing, knowing that we still have Jones and Kotsay as our DH.

but then Fred Manrique makes you smile and all is good in the world

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
You don't know that. Obviously I don't want to trade Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo, or other top 'spects for Haren, unless it means LaRoche + Haren. Just because I would like to see us get Dan Haren, doesn't mean I think we should clean out our farm for them. Cliff Lee he is not.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/18009235969

"Plenty of scouts on hand in Arizona. D-backs are listening to all offers, but Dan Haren likely to stay unless AZ blown away by offer."

And I would argue he's every bit as good as Lee, and even if he's not, he's going to cost more to acquire than Lee simply because he's locked up for another 3 years beyond this at very reasonable prices (something like $12.5 mill this year and next year, and a $15.5 mill team option for 2012). Dan Haren is going to be ridiculously expensive.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)

They'd have to give up a ton, and it's just not worth it, considering the needs of the offense opposed to the needs of the pitching staff.