Chris Sale Promoted to AAA Charlotte

DirtySox

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
I just do not see anyway he gets placed on the 40 man roster and called up this year.

You'll be wrong. It was reported that a big reason why he signed so soon and for a reasonable price was because of big league promises. I'd be somewhat surprised if he was up before September, but I think a spot on the 40-man and his MLB debut this year is more likely than not.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
You'll be wrong. It was reported that a big reason why he signed so soon and for a reasonable price was because of big league promises. I'd be somewhat surprised if he was up before September, but I think a spot on the 40-man and his MLB debut this year is more likely than not.

No problem, I'm probably more shocked than wrong as it seems like such a long shot, but you are right if he accepted slot money instead of holding out for his major league clock to get started earlier.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
No problem, I'm probably more shocked than wrong as it seems like such a long shot, but you are right if he accepted slot money instead of holding out for his major league clock to get started earlier.

Yeah, I don't really understand it. It's risky, but they probably figure they can give him insignificant innings in September if he's not able.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Is he ready for the majors?

Bob

We really won't know that until September.

But if this team is in the playoff hunt...the question changes from "Is he ready for the majors" to "is he better than Threets and Williams". Since Williams looked like he belonged in single A ball...it's plausible that Sale could be an upgrade even if the answer to your question is no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
But if this team is in the playoff hunt...the question changes from "Is he ready for the majors" to "is he better than Threets and Williams". Since Williams looked like he belonged in single A ball...it's plausible that Sale could be an upgrade even if the answer to your question is no.

Exactly.

I think the team wanted to see how well he commanded his fastball and changeup before promoting him.

And they must have really liked what they saw.

A pitcher who can command a 95mph fastball and a plus changeup can pitch in anybody's major league bullpen if he has the right mental makeup.

Edited by scenario

I know there are a few loopholes, but wouldn't he have to be on the roster before September 1st so he could pitch in any potential playoff series? It wouldn't make a ton of sense to rush him, have him come up September 1st be effective, at least better than Threets or Williams, and then the Sox make the playoffs and can't use him

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
I know there are a few loopholes, but wouldn't he have to be on the roster before September 1st so he could pitch in any potential playoff series? It wouldn't make a ton of sense to rush him, have him come up September 1st be effective, at least better than Threets or Williams, and then the Sox make the playoffs and can't use him

I believe we could have Threets come down with an imaginary injury and replace him with Sale in such a scenario.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
I believe you are correct about the 40 man roster point, although I think our 40 only has 39 on it right now anyways, so he could easily be added.

Jake Peavy could also be moved to the 60 day DL at any point to clear a 40 man spot.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Ahh yeah I forgot about that. Our 40 is at 39 according to the official site though, even if you include Peavy.

Which could be Morel's spot (if he's still with the organization, of course)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Sale just got his 1st taste of failure. Gave up a 2-run HR with 2 outs to Lousiville. He faced 4 batters. Gave up a HR, and struck out Drew Sutton and Yonder Alonso.

2 2/3 IP, 6 K, 1 BB in AAA

He had given up runs in high-A ball. When I read first taste of failure, I thought it was much worse.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
He had given up runs in high-A ball. When I read first taste of failure, I thought it was much worse.

Same. It sounds like he went 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K. Not great, but seems like he was 1 pitch away from another good outing.

EDIT: Actually, only 1 run was his, so he actually went 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K. I'm fine with that.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24