Jenks will Close again

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Join the club.

I can't watch because I'm at work. I had gameday up, and I feel just as angry as if I were watching it live. Looking at that bloated, disgusting face and that gross s*** he has on his chin on his gameday picture...I absolutely hate Jenks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I can't watch because I'm at work. I had gameday up, and I feel just as angry as if I were watching it live. Looking at that bloated, disgusting face and that gross s*** he has on his chin on his gameday picture...I absolutely hate Jenks.

LMAO

We're like the same person today. I had the same exact thoughts running through my head at the time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Jenks just made me appreciate Kotsay.

That's how bad he is.

LMAO. Appreciate and Kotsay in the same sentence.

Jenks has lost it, he can't be relied on with every game meaning so much. Jenks' ERA is over 5 and his WHIP is almost 1.50, that is horrible for a closer on a 1st place team. First it was all those scary games were he almost lost but still allowed runs and got the save. Now he is just flat out blowing huge leads, and not even 1 run leads.

Edited by RME JICO

Putz has to be the choice because of his experience and the fact he's only given up runs like twice in 3 months.

You can use Thornton and Santos in high leverage situations...Santos becomes a little bit like our version of Joel Zumaya.

I'm not sure what we do with Jenks in all honesty. Putting him behind Linebrink, I'd almost rather they DFA'ed him for the good of the team, because I really don't think he will be good for the Sox if he's not the closer. Hopefully he can suck it up, but you know that he'll be pouting since it will be very very difficult for him to get a good contract for 2010 if he's not closing the final two months of the season.

Hopefully someone will claim him off waivers and KW will send him to another team and we can get back someone useful. Wishful thinking.

The sequence today will be:

Ozzie will declare the closer's spot open again

The Sox will either win big tomorrow or lose, Sale will get his first outing in relief, everyone will be excited about that. There will be no need for a closer.

Sometime over the weekend, a closer will be needed. Both Thornton and Putz will be used in the 7th-8th, Jenks will come out again to close. Announcers and sportswriters will pretend that Ozzie never said anything about the Closer's spot today.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
The sequence today will be:

Ozzie will declare the closer's spot open again

The Sox will either win big tomorrow or lose, Sale will get his first outing in relief, everyone will be excited about that. There will be no need for a closer.

Sometime over the weekend, a closer will be needed. Both Thornton and Putz will be used in the 7th-8th, Jenks will come out again to close. Announcers and sportswriters will pretend that Ozzie never said anything about the Closer's spot today.

Wait, that's happened before, right? I mean, it's like deja vu...

So what is the solution?

It's easy to rail against Bobby, but if you bump him, then you weaken the set up core considerably. Right now, Putz and Thornton make a formidable duo that can cover any parts of the 7th and 8th innings. If you move one of them to closer, then either Bobby has to take their place, or you have to elevate Santos. That may be fine and good, but Santos has no real experience, so it is hard to know how he'll do in a pennant race. You could mix Sale in here as well, and demote Bobby all the way down to almost Linebrink status for a while.

I think we're going to need the good Bobby Jenks to win the division, and the pennant, so I wouldn't write him off completely. I'd work on getting his curveball back so he's not so predictable.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
So what is the solution?

It's easy to rail against Bobby, but if you bump him, then you weaken the set up core considerably. Right now, Putz and Thornton make a formidable duo that can cover any parts of the 7th and 8th innings. If you move one of them to closer, then either Bobby has to take their place, or you have to elevate Santos. That may be fine and good, but Santos has no real experience, so it is hard to know how he'll do in a pennant race. You could mix Sale in here as well, and demote Bobby all the way down to almost Linebrink status for a while.

I think we're going to need the good Bobby Jenks to win the division, and the pennant, so I wouldn't write him off completely. I'd work on getting his curveball back so he's not so predictable.

You've got to go with Putz in the 9th and Santos taking Putz's role. Putz has the experience there, Santos is back to being effective, it's the only realistic setup. And Hell, if we need 1 more out, Linebrink's been non-awful his last 10 outings or so.

The odds of that happening are very low though. Ozzie will keep putting Jenks out there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Putz has to be the choice because of his experience and the fact he's only given up runs like twice in 3 months.

You can use Thornton and Santos in high leverage situations...Santos becomes a little bit like our version of Joel Zumaya.

I'm not sure what we do with Jenks in all honesty. Putting him behind Linebrink, I'd almost rather they DFA'ed him for the good of the team, because I really don't think he will be good for the Sox if he's not the closer. Hopefully he can suck it up, but you know that he'll be pouting since it will be very very difficult for him to get a good contract for 2010 if he's not closing the final two months of the season.

Hopefully someone will claim him off waivers and KW will send him to another team and we can get back someone useful. Wishful thinking.

I say we keep him and use him in less important situations. I don't want to hear about how he won't be any good just because he's not used to less stressful innings. We're paying him good money, so he better pitch wherever the f*** he's told to pitch.

And in regards to the bold part, I really hope Ozzie isn't taking this into account. They may be friends, but you cannot put one guy ahead of the entire team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
By the way folks, just anticipating how these nights usually go...we're all going to be angry at Jenks, but at least for tonight, let's try not to go after him with the personal/body type insults.

I still disagree, as his "body type" is definitely a factor in his effectiveness.

Classic Guillen quote on Jenks.

Okay, GREG, wherever you are, don't even bother trying to argue with everyone about Jenks. Just let it go. It's not worth it, especially because there's a 75% chance that Ozzie will have him closing more games within the week.

He's not going to be DFA'ed or traded, he'll get his chance for redemption before it's all over...maybe even against the Twins, although I think I will just turn off the computer or radio when that happens and look the next day to see what actually transpired.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
I still disagree, as his "body type" is definitely a factor in his effectiveness.

There's a difference between talking about it intelligently and throwing out ad hominem insults about it. If you're talking about his effectiveness, go ahead. The one we care about is the one where people call him a fat (insert random profane word here). That's our main issue.

Feel free and encouraged to complain about how his weight hurts his pitching ability.

I have no problem with Jenks closing. He's throwing the ball real well right now. He's hitting the upper 90's and has 3 pitches for a closer. He hung a ball to Raburn. Today is the 1st time he's thrown a bad pitch in awhile. It's not like he's going out there and topping out at 90 with a rolling curve to go with it. He didn't have a good curve today, they should've just stuck with the heat and it likely would have been over.

I don't think there is any doubt this bullpen is a lot better when Jenks is closing and pitching well. The problem is, it just doesn't seem like Jenks trusts his stuff enough to consistently pitch well. That's the frusterating part, really: his stuff isn't even that bad right now, but he's his own worst enemy by not trusting his best pitches. So we kind of have to give up on him IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
I have no problem with Jenks closing. He's throwing the ball real well right now. He's hitting the upper 90's and has 3 pitches for a closer. He hung a ball to Raburn. Today is the 1st time he's thrown a bad pitch in awhile. It's not like he's going out there and topping out at 90 with a rolling curve to go with it. He didn't have a good curve today, they should've just stuck with the heat and it likely would have been over.

He wound up letting the 2 baserunners on before Raburn, so it wasn't just 1 bad pitch.

he or AJ and Castro need to focus heavily on FBs, he is throwing hard and seemingly has good control over it, he gets in a ton of trouble with his offspeed stuff, either wild with it or hangs it, it would be more effective if he is pumping fastballs and throws the occasional offspeed