Jenks will Close again

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2010&t=p

Sorry if these have been posted, I scanned back about 3 pages and didn't seem them, they're about 2/3 down the link, Bobby's Day/Night splits...

Day:

Games: 19, with 16.2 innings; ERA of 9.18; WHIP of 1.92; OPS against of .882; tOPS against of 146 with a sOPS against of 141 and 9 saves

Night:

Games: 25, with 23.2 innings; ERA of 2.28; WHIP of 1.14; OPS against of .572; tOPS against of 60 with a sOPS against of 57 and 14 saves.

I don't see the blown save stats on the table, but I could just be missing it, but I know yesterdays and the Sunday Twins game were day games.

So he is an effective closer during the night and terrible during the days, these stats are so vastly different it is a little amazing.

Well at least he's not alone with his daytime struggles

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
And the people crying foul over Bobby hanging a curve were begging him to throw one the past two weeks. Well, he f***ing threw one....

This doesn't mean they were wrong... still more right than wrong, actually.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out. Ozzie's obviously very loyal to "his guys," but it's very difficult to justify closing out games with a declining Bobby when you have a former dominant closer who is currently nails in the 7th inning role. In fact, given the organization's criticism of Bobby's fitness this winter, I'd be willing to bet that Putz was specifically brought in as a Plan B.

Edited by WCSox

These people on the Score are trying to say Jenks should have been in there tonight because Scott, Jones, and Wigginton are a combined 0-10 vs. Jenks.

Using a 10 AB sample size as a reason to put in a guy who has a 8 ERA over his career against the Orioles = terrible reasoning.

The AP story says Bobby has a bad back. Believe it or not at your discretion. That's what it says.

I just want whomever closes to get the save.

Quotes of interest:

On Bob: “Bobby’s got a bad back,” Guillen said. “The way Bobby’s been throwing, we’ve got options out there. We have to wait to put Bobby back in the closer rotation.”

On Rios:

Before the game, Guillen offered this explanation of why Rios didn’t play on Friday night: “He’s got a sore everything. The thing that was sore was his bat.”

AJ on his own ankle:

“I’ll be fine. It’s just a sprained ankle,” he said. “I could have stayed in the game, but they wanted me to get out and put ice on it.”

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Quotes of interest:

On Bob: “Bobby’s got a bad back,” Guillen said. “The way Bobby’s been throwing, we’ve got options out there. We have to wait to put Bobby back in the closer rotation.”

Didn't he suddenly get shelved due to injury after a coincidental streak of sucktitude back in June?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
Didn't he suddenly get shelved due to injury after a coincidental streak of sucktitude back in June?

June was when he was really good. He had an undisclosed family issue at some point earlier in the season.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
I CAN'T BELIEVE OZZIE HAD PUTZ FACING THE TOP OF THE ORDER. AWFUL BULLPEN USE. I HAVE BEEN SAYING IT SINCE 2005 OZZIE IS AWFUL AT HANDLING THE PITCHING STAFF

See how ridiculous some of this is?

??? I knew somebody was going to do this.

What are you saying? Putz goes into a tie game in extras and Roberts just hammers the everloving f*** out of the ball... I mean... it happens. That excuse is used for Jenks and to an extent it's valid, but Jenks passed that threshhold a few weeks ago (probably when his ERA got back over 5 again).

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
My point. If people are going to react over every Jenks outing, why not do the same with Putz?

Let Putz allow like... 3 times as many runs as he does and then he'll have earned the treatment Jenks gets when he does it. With Putz right now it's "oh s***," with Jenks it's "oh no, not again!"

(Previous seasons are a wash. Putz was as good a closer as Jenks was when he was elite, if not better)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
??? I knew somebody was going to do this.

What are you saying? Putz goes into a tie game in extras and Roberts just hammers the everloving f*** out of the ball... I mean... it happens. That excuse is used for Jenks and to an extent it's valid, but Jenks passed that threshhold a few weeks ago (probably when his ERA got back over 5 again).

I figured someone would do it, too.

On the other hand, Putz seems to have been giving runs up quite a bit recently.

This comment has nothing to do with anything except I didn't see the walk off discussed much.

No human can crush a baseball harder than Roberts hit that walk-off. Anybody who happened to play baseball through high school/college can probably reminisce to the day(s) they crushed the ball that hard.

Wow that thing was tattooed. I don't even think Hawk made a call, did he. He just let the ball soar as he was quiet.

s*** happens. We lose. Get em the next 3 days hopefully.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
This comment has nothing to do with anything except I didn't see the walk off discussed much.

No human can crush a baseball harder than Roberts hit that walk-off. Anybody who happened to play baseball through high school/college can probably reminisce to the day(s) they crushed the ball that hard.

Wow that thing was tattooed. I don't even think Hawk made a call, did he. He just let the ball soar as he was quiet.

s*** happens. We lose. Get em the next 3 days hopefully.

1998, sophomore year vs. Harper, I wanted a fastball and he gave me one belly button-high and I hit it like 420 feet to dead center. It felt awesome. I didn't even know I could do that.

Edited by lostfan