Will Omar play next year?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
hasn't he said he hopes to play next year but is letting his play this year determine it?

Yes. He said he would come back if he feels he can still get it done (hitting + fielding). So far, it looks like he will indeed be back next year.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
I feel so much better with Pierre-Omar batting 1-2 & Alexi-Vizquell at third and short that I think not only should he come back but the Sox NEED him to come back.

It's a roll of the dice if the Sox think they can count on this kind of Vizquel magic next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
It's a roll of the dice if the Sox think they can count on this kind of Vizquel magic next year.

If he finishes the season playing like he is now...ya gotta bring him back. Lets see how he holds up.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
If he finishes the season playing like he is now...ya gotta bring him back. Lets see how he holds up.

I wouldn't say no to bringing him back.

I just also won't pretend it's not a roll of the dice.

If you're bringing him back...you need at least a quasi-platoon partner on the 25 man roster with him (Teahen or Viciedo or Lillibridge) and you best have someone who can take over full time if his 44 year old knees give out (Viciedo or Morel?).

We're fairly deep in guys who can play 3b (at least until Saturday), so that makes me feel like it's less of a gamble, but if Morel and Viciedo are gone by Sunday, then I want more depth at that spot.

I'm fine with Omar being brought back if he is brought back to do what he was supposed to do this year. That is serve as a defensive replacement/pinch runner late in games and to spell an infielder once or twice a week; not to play as much as he has been lately. The reason being is like Balta said, it would be asking a lot for him to produce for a full season like he has of late at yet another year older. Of course, I have no confidence in him being used properly if brought back next year...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
I'm fine with Omar being brought back if he is brought back to do what he was supposed to do this year. That is serve as a defensive replacement/pinch runner late in games and to spell an infielder once or twice a week; not to play as much as he has been lately. The reason being is like Balta said, it would be asking a lot for him to produce for a full season like he has of late at yet another year older. Of course, I have no confidence in him being used properly if brought back next year...

Bah, if he's this effective, I have zero issues with him playing this much.

It's just like putting Quentin out there though. You don't want to lose your season because you don't have a backup plan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Bah, if he's this effective, I have zero issues with him playing this much.

It's just like putting Quentin out there though. You don't want to lose your season because you don't have a backup plan.

Agreed, but it would be foolish IMO to bring him back next season assuming he'll be as effective as he is now in his current role.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Agreed, but it would be foolish IMO to bring him back next season assuming he'll be as effective as he is now in his current role.

Hell, as long as we've got a backup plan, that's a gamble I'd take.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Hell, as long as we've got a backup plan, that's a gamble I'd take.

The Sox are stuck with Teahen and as of now still have Viciedo, so there are already backup plans in place. I think they need to bring him back even if it is just for a part time or bench role. He's been the most effective infield coach on the team.

Edited by shakes