The sleeper thread

shipps

Who are the guys out there that are sleepers in this trade market?

I somehow feel KW is gonna go and get a guy that most of us just dont have on the radar?

Is there still a possibility to bring Ichiro? I am pretty sure that train has passed but IDK.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ICP! @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
Who are the guys out there that are sleepers in this trade market?

I somehow feel KW is gonna go and get a guy that most of us just dont have on the radar?

Is there still a possibility to bring Ichiro? I am pretty sure that train has passed but IDK.

HAHAHA I've been thinking about this! If Seattle would give him up, then why not? I was at the game last night, and that catch was SICK. That throw back to first base that almost doubled up Quentin was sick too.

Seattle still makes a fortune having him on their team through marketing in Asia even when they're losing. If I were in their GM's seat, I would want to get a top of the league guy back if I'm dealing him (seriously, like a Strasbourg, Stanton, Heyward, etc.) since I'd be taking a huge revenue hit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
Seattle still makes a fortune having him on their team through marketing in Asia even when they're losing. If I were in their GM's seat, I would want to get a top of the league guy back if I'm dealing him (seriously, like a Strasbourg, Stanton, Heyward, etc.) since I'd be taking a huge revenue hit.

Yeah they do but they know that will be wearing thinner and thinner in the seasons to come and they know that. He is 36 and you would have to project a decline. Why not get yourself some good young talent like Viciedo and Hudson and start building towards your future when your team is in such turmoil?

QUOTE (ICP! @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Yeah they do but they know that will be wearing thinner and thinner in the seasons to come and they know that. He is 36 and you would have to project a decline. Why not get yourself some good young talent like Viciedo and Hudson and start building towards your future when your team is in such turmoil?

Because that's not nearly enough talent to offset the combination of fewer wins and revenue decreases I'd take if I sold on Ichiro.

If nothing else, let's not forget...Seattle talked themselves into thinking they could compete for the West coming into this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
Because that's not nearly enough talent to offset the combination of fewer wins and revenue decreases I'd take if I sold on Ichiro.

If nothing else, let's not forget...Seattle talked themselves into thinking they could compete for the West coming into this season.

Even more the reason to just start over completely with a clean slate. They failed and have continued to fail with Ichiro and its not like they are selling out there stadium because of him. I would put a couple other prospects in on that trade if I were the Sox just not Beckham. Maybe Danks2 along with those two guys and possibly one of our bullpen arms and that is a sweet deal for them. I mean, how much longer could they build around Ichiro and think they are going to win?

QUOTE (ICP! @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

Plus you know the guy would love to play for a contender. Has he ever even been in the playoffs?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)

Revenue decreases? Who's even going to their games anymore? And that's with Ichiro.

By 2008, it had emerged in the media that Ichiro was known within baseball for his tradition of exhorting the American League team with a profanity-laced pregame speech in the clubhouse prior to the MLB All-Star Game. Asked if the speech had had any effect on the AL's decade-long winning streak, Ichiro deadpanned, "I’ve got to say over 90 percent." Minnesota first baseman Justin Morneau describes the effect: "If you’ve never seen it, it’s definitely something pretty funny. It’s hard to explain, the effect it has on everyone. It’s such a tense environment. Everyone’s a little nervous for the game, and then he comes out. He doesn’t say a whole lot the whole time he’s in there, and all of a sudden, the manager gets done with his speech, and he pops off.” Boston's slugger David Ortiz says simply, "It’s why we win."

This alone makes it worth it. Get it done, KW!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Seattle has a higher average attendance for their home games than the White Sox.

And that isn't even noting Japanese ad sales.

I am certain that the numbers for the Sox will increase and Seattle's will decrease over the course of the next 2 months.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I am certain that the numbers for the Sox will increase and Seattle's will decrease over the course of the next 2 months.

Seattle's average is almost exactly where they finished last year and within 1000 fans/game of where they finished in 2008. They're steady at that number.

I would imagine that if they traded him and built a good foundation with young talent and produce a WINNING team that number would go up even more and be worth it for them.

Whats the best case for them? Keep Ichiro that is still in great game shape for 2-3 more years and get 3 thousand more a game than the pathetic Sox attendance? If I was GM i would want to build a winner with a loaded team and not just target the Asian audience and end any other thought at that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
in 2001

That is a LOOONG time ago. You know the guy wants to compete at least once more before his career ends.

I've always been a Ichiro fan and I'm not saying that it's even possible that the Sox get him, but I wonder how much he's considered asking for a trade somewhere else so he'll have a chance to win a ring before he retires?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
is this the sleeper thread or the dreamer thread? Ichiro for 2 more years would be awesome, but I can't see it happening.

Well its not an Ichiro thread, so feel free to add a thought about a sleeper trade.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW384YzzHKM

That is why we need Ichiro.

But seriously, it'd take something like Hudson-Flowers-3 Other Good Prospects (not Viciedo since they have Smoak).

Perhaps Jeremy Reed?

I'd pack their s*** for them and drive the U-haul out to Seattle.

Edited by Chet Kincaid