This game is OVA!!!

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (clown baby @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 03:32 AM)
Thome has a .933 OPS, and is the exact lefty power bat that we are missing... Hating the Thome shift is a pretty dumb reason to not want him. Ozzie really screwed up picking Kotsay over Thome. It's going to cost us some good prospects now if we want to get somebody of equal production to Thome. That move is really not talked about enough. It could end up costing us Hudson and another good prospect. Ozzie screwed up. Plain and simple.

Frankly, I think we talk about it a lot. Still do.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
63 games left. 2 with the Mariners. 7 with Baltimore. 6 with the Indians. 6 with the Royals. And it's arguable that the Tigers will be a good team the rest of the way. We have 14 left with them.

With the injury problems they have now, I wouldn't argue that.

QUOTE (clown baby @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:32 AM)
Thome has a .933 OPS, and is the exact lefty power bat that we are missing... Hating the Thome shift is a pretty dumb reason to not want him. Ozzie really screwed up picking Kotsay over Thome. It's going to cost us some good prospects now if we want to get somebody of equal production to Thome. That move is really not talked about enough. It could end up costing us Hudson and another good prospect. Ozzie screwed up. Plain and simple.

I really need to stop listening to the Score, the callers give me headaches.

But last night, some idiot called in to Les Grobstein and tried to defend Ozzie's decision by saying that Kotsay and Jones are more versatile and since they've hit 19 home runs combined, they're better than Thome. I hate people sometimes.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (clown baby @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:32 AM)

KW screwed up. Ozzie doesn't sign players.

Hating the Thome shift is a pretty dumb reason to not want him

Thome didn't have universal support on this board last year. I did grow weary of the shift.

I still say Viciedo would be a great DH/3B the rest of the season. Even if we don't win the division (Minnie is looking like Minnie again) it'd be good for his development.

I don't miss Thome as much as just wanting something better than we have at DH.

I hate the Thome talk. If anything we've talked too much about it. I'm still glad we didn't re-sign him. I was sick of Paulie, Jermaine, and Thome in the middle of the lineup. Obviously I'd like someone other than Kotsay, but it really was time for Thome to go.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
I hate the Thome talk. If anything we've talked too much about it. I'm still glad we didn't re-sign him. I was sick of Paulie, Jermaine, and Thome in the middle of the lineup. Obviously I'd like someone other than Kotsay, but it really was time for Thome to go.

People sure remember Thome for the shift and his lack of fleet-footedness, but they sure forget all those home runs he hit...

I don't know how you are glad we didn't re-sign him when we've been stuck with the abomination that is Mark Kotsay as our full-time DH.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)

On what planet is one sick of a .900+ OPS? I don't care if my DH doesn't have Carl Crawford's speed. I don't think the Red Sox and Rangers are too concerned about Ortiz's and Vlad's legs. I want my DH to mash.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
On what planet is one sick of a .900+ OPS? I don't care if my DH doesn't have Carl Crawford's speed. I don't think the Red Sox and Rangers are too concerned about Ortiz's and Vlad's legs. I want my DH to mash.

This whole perception of the DH being able to do others things besides hitting is really weird. I mean, it's the designated hitter, he's designated to hit. Isn't his ability to hit more important than his ability to do anything else.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)

You honestly thought he was going to put up a .900+ OPS this season? I personally saw a 39 year old slugger on his last legs last year. He hadn't had a .900 or higher OPS since 2006 and seemed to be regressing and starting to break down. I had no problem letting him go and am not going to say it was a mistake like I knew he would be hitting this well. Who's to say he would have put up those numbers here playing every day? For all we know, he would've hurt his back playing every day.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
You honestly thought he was going to put up a .900+ OPS this season? I personally saw a 39 year old slugger on his last legs last year. He hadn't had a .900 or higher OPS since 2006 and seemed to be regressing and starting to break down. I had no problem letting him go and am not going to say it was a mistake like I knew he would be hitting this well. Who's to say he would have put up those numbers here playing every day? For all we know, he would've hurt his back playing every day.

He has a .930 OPS right now. I don't think everybody expected a .930 OPS from him, but I would have expected at least .850. And that .850 is a hell of a lot better than what Jones and Kotsay are putting up.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)

What was realistic to you? Let's say an .850 OPS (more than feasible considering he put up an .864 OPS just last year with us). That's still worlds better than the crap that's been Mark Kotsay and the puke that's been Andruw Jones (at least since his hot April). Ozzie couldn't find at bats for Thome but he could find 250 PAs before August for a guy that was about to be designated for assignment before we scooped him up for superstar Brian Anderson? I'm sorry. Ozzie, at least in this case, is a f***ing tard. I don't care about 2005. That was your ultimate fluke. You will not win with a manager with this line of thinking consistently. Ship his ass out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
What was realistic to you? Let's say an .850 OPS (more than feasible considering he put up an .864 OPS just last year with us). That's still worlds better than the crap that's been Mark Kotsay and the puke that's been Andruw Jones (at least since his hot April). Ozzie couldn't find at bats for Thome but he could find 250 PAs before August for a guy that was about to be designated for assignment before we scooped him up for superstar Brian Anderson? I'm sorry. Ozzie, at least in this case, is a f***ing tard. I don't care about 2005. That was your ultimate fluke. You will not win with a manager with this line of thinking consistently. Ship his ass out.

I'm not saying that I thought Kotsay was a better option. I just didn't want Thome. I wanted us to sign someone that can actually hit. Thome would have been better than this crap. I agree with you on that.

This whole perception of the DH being able to do others things besides hitting is really weird. I mean, it's the designated hitter, he's designated to hit. Isn't his ability to hit more important than his ability to do anything else.

I'd be more into the missing Thome talk if I didn't remember Thome getting bashed pretty heavily in the game threads last year. There was lots of station to station baseball hate on here. I liked Thome though.

But I agree with the last poster. I don't like our current mess at DH; I just am ready for it to be somebody besides Thome.

I liked Thome but his time with the Sox was done. He was too fragile to take a chance on. It is a long season,almost 40% of the season yet to play out. Thome could go down tomorrow and Kotsay will probably have a big second half and end up having fans singing his praises. 2 months ago fans were hammering Alexei,Omar,Beckham,Juan and Carlos. In two months they might be praising Kotsay and Andruw.

The Twins could afford to take a chance with Thome due to their deep team of hitters and deep farm system. Sox could not gamble. Ozzie made the right call.