White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
i just wish this would be done and over with one way or another. the longer this drags out the more games the twins can possibly gain.

I would like to get him regardless of whether we need him for the postseason or not. I think acquiring him for the last 30 games or so would be a nice test run for possibly bringing him in via FA next season. He might be a good DH to have to help displace the loss of PK if Dayan were to take over at 1B and PK were to move on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
I would like to get him regardless of whether we need him for the postseason or not. I think acquiring him for the last 30 games or so would be a nice test run for possibly bringing him in via FA next season. He might be a good DH to have to help displace the loss of PK if Dayan were to take over at 1B and PK were to move on.

I agree. He's not going to command a huge amount of money anymore, and he could be a good DH candidate. Why not give him a test run?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
I agree. He's not going to command a huge amount of money anymore, and he could be a good DH candidate. Why not give him a test run?

Because...what are the odds that a guy like ManRam is going to stay motivated if he's not playing for a huge amount of money?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Because...what are the odds that a guy like ManRam is going to stay motivated if he's not playing for a huge amount of money?

Valid point. But, if he wants a chance at bigger money he's going to have to play well and hard (that might be a stretch for Manny, I know) for the rest of this year. If he tanks, he's not going to get a good offer. If he plays well, tears the cover off the ball, and helps a team (Sox, etc.) make a playoff run, he could be in line for some decent cash next year. What I was getting at was that if he does play well, he's still not going to get a long term contract for a bunch of money. Maybe the Sox could afford a Manny next year.

If he doesn't want to play for what he's offered, he can retire or go play for some independent league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)

I think he's getting to the point in his career where it won't be so much about money anymore, but about having fun, cementing his legacy, and perhaps trying to win another World Series or two.

I think we match up pretty well for him if those are his concerns.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
My guess is Manny would hit 3rd and Rios would hit 5th.

Pierre, 7

Vizquel, 5

M Ramirez 9/0

Konerko, 3

Rios, 8

Quentin, 0/9

A Ramirez 6

Pierzynski 2

Beckham 4

I'd rather have Beckham hitting 2nd, but this is probably what we'd see. Teahen should play against RHP filling in at 9, 0, 5 and maybe 3, for whomever is sitting, to get near-full-time at bats. Jones for defensive replacement and occasional starts. Castro against LHP for AJ. Lillibridge as the defensive bench player and PR. Kotsay DFA.

I hope.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
If Manny hits well, the lineup would look pretty beastly...provided Ozzie doesn't keep playing Kotsay.

If they do get Ramirez, one of these three things has to happen:

--DFA Kotsay

--DFA Jones

--Option Lillibridge

I want the first, but I'm thinking Ozzie lobbies for the third.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
If they do get Ramirez, one of these three things has to happen:

--DFA Kotsay

--DFA Jones

--Option Lillibridge

I want the first, but I'm thinking Ozzie lobbies for the third.

I'm guessing they will option Lillibridge for the remainder of August and then bring him back up for September.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
I'm guessing they will option Lillibridge for the remainder of August and then bring him back up for September.

depending on how long this takes, they may not have to make any moves at all. If they acquire him august 31st at the deadline, the rosters expand right away

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)

But then Lilli can't be on the post season roster, right?

And his pinch running duties far out weigh anything Kotsay can contribute.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)

The bat boy's skills out weigh anything Kotsay can contribute.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)

The important question is then can Pauly play the entire remainder of the season without a day off? Unless Teahen can play 1B?