White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Before his stop on the DL , Manny's 186 ABs produced 39 RBI, 8HR and .317. That works out to around 2 Kotsays. Just saying. whitesoxski from twitter.

I hope this goes through. If it does, I wonder how long it'll be before he can actually suit up? I'm excited. I'll be at the first game if it's at the Cell.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
Before his stop on the DL , Manny's 186 ABs produced 39 RBI, 8HR and .317. That works out to around 2 Kotsays. Just saying. whitesoxski from twitter.

The good news is that's excellent production, the bad news is he's managed fewer at bats this season than Thome.

I won't like having a known juicer on the team and I'll feel compelled to make that opinion known annoyingly and repeatedly, but I'll find a way to deal with it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
The good news is that's excellent production, the bad news is he's managed fewer at bats this season than Thome.

I won't like having a known juicer on the team and I'll feel compelled to make that opinion known annoyingly and repeatedly, but I'll find a way to deal with it.

Hey at least you'll dislike someone more than Edwin Jackson (trade) ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)

And I will counter you over and over annoyingly and repeatedly, so don't worry.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)

We need that offensive help for sure, but I always like to look at the next year and beyond. I suppose if we pick up Manny (if that in fact happens) and all we pay is some money then fine, but I hate to give up any prospects for someone who may only be around for September. No one is going to pay huge dollars for Manny anymore so what would be our chances or desires to keep him? I know he has been quoted a saying he wants to return to the AL and a DH role to save his knees.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
No one is going to pay huge dollars for Manny anymore so what would be our chances or desires to keep him? I know he has been quoted a saying he wants to return to the AL and a DH role to save his knees.

I don't know how he'll fit in with KW and Ozzie and the clubhouse and Mark Kotsay, so I won't speak to that. He might fit with them like a glove, he might be punching them 48 hours in.

A lot of it is going to be up to Manny though, in terms of what he's willing to accept. He's put up fewer at bats than Thome this year, and it's been entirely because of injury. Moving to the AL as a DH may help...but no team with a legit chance at the playoffs is going to make him their full time DH and expect to get 550 at bats out of him. Any team wanting him will also want to have a backup plan...or they'd have to be a team well out of the playoff hunt hoping to make a big splash.

Because of that fact...his offer value is going to be way down. Like well below Damon this year down. He's used to being paid $20-$25 million a season. I'd be shocked if anyone out there offers him $5 million this offseason, and I could totally see 11 or 12 teams deciding they want no part of his act and him winding up with his only option being a $2 million contract with someone.

I really don't think there will be anything like a bidding war for him. Even teams that might have a need for him are going to shy away from him, and there are more than a few bridges already burned (Boston). The Sox probably would have an excellent chance to keep him...but that's entirely provided that they want him, and that's entirely provided he's willing to play for a 90% pay cut.

I could totally see him having a good couple weeks, going out on the market asking for $15 million, getting offers that are barely major league contracts, and throwing in the towel.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
Are you accusing someone? Odds are, you may be right. Odds in Manny's case: 100%. Suspended last year, the idiot. He's a known commodity. and yes, that includes his being a great hitter.

It's not 100%, it's more like 99% since he wasn't suspended steroid use it was a female fertility drug used by steroid users to restore testosterone production to normal levels.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
It's not 100%, it's more like 99% since he wasn't suspended steroid use it was a female fertility drug used by steroid users to restore testosterone production to normal levels.

:lolhitting

Kal, you've got to be really, really desperate...either to cover for ManRam or just to nitpick for accuracy...to go with that one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
:lolhitting

Kal, you've got to be really, really desperate...either to cover for ManRam or just to nitpick for accuracy...to go with that one.

It's nitpicking but it's also the truth. I have no reason to defend him since I really don't care that he's almost definitely a user, we've gotten to the point where I can't think of a single player that I'm even 50% certain didn't use so how can I be too upset with those that actually got caught? It's become a part of the game, if I let it bother me I'd have to stop watching all together. The only thing I worry about at this point is a past user being acquired and falling flat on his face because he's off the juice, Manny's still produced this season when he's managed to find the field so that isn't a big concern for me.

I'd go along with this much: history should remember harshest the guys who admitted use or failed PED tests, then second most perhaps--guys who failed a test for something related to steroids (Manny) ..... and then third most should remember harshly those who were never caught but have really, really, completely failed the 'eye' test (and the giant stat spike test)

Yet who knows what history will do. We dont have much hatred for pitchers who were caught cheating throughout the years (even though that isn't seen as part of a greater problem and health risk to kids like PEDs are)

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Another thing worth noting is that we're not sure how many of 'calf injuries' were real injuries or just Manny not wanting to play in LA anymore.

The injuries he's had were almost certainly real injuries, otherwise the DL stints wouldn't have gone through. The first time he got hurt, it was still early in the season and the Dodgers were still in the hunt; they were close enough through the deadline that they were still adding people.

This is a guy who's body is very likely to break down. It's been beaten up by drugs probably for more than a decade, and presumably he's off of them now to avoid the 100 game suspension. His body is going to break down on a regular basis.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
As it exciting as it would be for this team to add Manny, it won't mean anything if the pitching staff doesn't get their s*** together (especially the bullpen).

agreed. hopefully our starters can go deep the next few games. 3 days off w/o a lot of pen work would do wonders for the guys.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
It's not my money. If Kenny and Jerry are ok spending a few million for a month of Manny, I'm all for it. Manny at his worst is still better than Kotsay/Jones.

Exactly. There should be no questions about this. Manny is an extremely better option than anyone else we would have. Plus it might just breathe some life into the clubhouse. My only reservation about signing him would be if it were to prevent or hinder us from making moves for next season.