White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
espn 1000 update: white sox no longer favorite to land manny

Yeah, they may just be getting that from Heyman's update on SI.com, but that's only the headline and a line in the story, but he really doesn't explain it, but goes on to say the Rangers are interested. He completely ignores that the Sox have a superior claim.

ESPN 1000 is flat out brutal lately, they don't call it a demotion, but Levine is now exclusively the Cubs beat reporter and he's off the whole MLB beat and they brought Padilla in to cover the Sox.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Yup, one thing I wonder, why were Kenny and co making this so public, like they had to realize someone will claim him to block us.

Kenny and Co didn't make anything public, the media did all that. Where did you see KW make anything public? On the contrary, he said otherwise.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
espn1000 doesn't know any more than we do at this moment. they probably have levine sitting at a desk and refreshing twitter every minute.

Like I posted above, if that's the wording they used it's directly from Heyman's SI.com article

when kenny thinks something done he does the no comment.

kenny yesterday : It's possible,'' Williams replied. "It's always possible. Sometimes the most obvious things are the most unrealistic things to accomplish, so you always got to be looking for what you actually can accomplish. And sometimes small marginal growth is sometimes just as effective as the more obvious bigger thing that you're not going to get.''

Manager Ozzie Guillen offered up even less when asked about adding to the roster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Kenny and Co didn't make anything public, the media did all that. Where did you see KW make anything public? On the contrary, he said otherwise.

I thought it was all 'controlled leaks' and Kenny has been a master at doing that.

Don't tell me if Kenny wanted to keep it a secret he wouldn't have? Under the radar, I thought that's how he rolls?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
I thought it was all 'controlled leaks' and Kenny has been a master at doing that.

Don't tell me if Kenny wanted to keep it a secret he wouldn't have? Under the radar, I thought that's how he rolls?

Again, for all of you who seem to be poised to get on Kenny for supposedly making this public... show me where he or the Sox did that.

They didn't.

This was all media speculation, unnamed sources, and leaks. And besides, Kenny would have ZERO reason to send a controlled leak out on this anyway. That just doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
They're citing this article which somehow believes the Rangers have a better shot than us.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=si_mlb

Heyman throws so much **** against the wall.

They may have a better trade to offer but if the Sox place a claim the Rangers are not even invited to the party. I think the Dodger/White Sox trading history will help if he makes it to the White Sox. These twitter folks do not seem to understand how the process works.

The Tigers have an easy schdule in September maybe they are rolling the dice and filing a claim and were hoping to clear Damon's salary to do so.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
Again, for all of you who seem to be poised to get on Kenny for supposedly making this public... show me where he or the Sox did that.

They didn't.

This was all media speculation, unnamed sources, and leaks. And besides, Kenny would have ZERO reason to send a controlled leak out on this anyway. That just doesn't make any sense.

Fair enough, however pretty sure no one knew we had any interest in Rios last year, until the actual claim was placed.

The media had us 'landing' Manny every since non-waiver deadline, and we know by now that the more speculation there is about White Sox adding someone the deal is less likely, or so I thought.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
They may have a better trade to offer but if the Sox place a claim the Rangers are not even invited to the party. I think the Dodger/White Sox trading history will help if he makes it to the White Sox. These twitter folks do not seem to understand how the process works.

The Tigers have an easy schdule in September maybe they are rolling the dice and filing a claim and were hoping to clear Damon's salary to do so.

Even with an easy schedule, I don't see how the Tigers could realistically think they had a shot, that would be betting on the Twins and White Sox completely falling on their faces and them playing unbelievable baseball with Maggs and other injuries

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
Fair enough, however pretty sure no one knew we had any interest in Rios last year, until the actual claim was placed.

The media had us 'landing' Manny every since non-waiver deadline, and we know by now that the more speculation there is about White Sox adding someone the deal is less likely, or so I thought.

Rios was something no one even considered, so it wasn't discussed. Manny was such an obvious fit for the Sox, naturally, that is where the attention was focused. So these media guys ask their "sources" for info, and who knows how reliable they are.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
Rios was something no one even considered, so it wasn't discussed.

It wasn't considered because no one thought the Sox would take on that kind of contract after landing Peavy. The moment that it was out that someone had claimed Rios on Waivers...we kept getting threads in PHT saying "Someone claimed Rios on Waivers!" that we kept closing because we didn't know it was the Sox. Everyone seemed to realize that the Sox were the likely candidate when they knew there was a claim on him.