The Good News is.....

sin city sox fan

Do they have a Thursday night game?

I was hoping, since they're 4-19 against the Twins in the second half dating back to 2008, that they could just get that Thursday game out of the way quietly, in the middle of a hot and lazy afternoon when nobody would have to watch the dreaded carnage in front of their televisions at home.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
What really depresses me is that in my heart I still feel the Twins win the division even if we sweep them this week.

I'm more frustrated then I am depressed. The majority of the problems this team is facing were easy fixes. The guys in charge chose not to make those fixes. There's not a damn thing that you, i, or anyone here could have done about it. So, I don't see the use it letting myself get too down over it. Sure, losing still tears me apart, but it's getting easier to accept for me. I wish it wasn't.

Edited by Thunderbolt

If you made it through the '94 strike, you'll be fine. Trust me. But yes, It's looking more and more like the true talent level of this team is finally coming to the forefront. Let's face it. That 26-5 run was not really this team. If the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays or a healthy Phillies team go on a run like that, you know it's legit.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
We have a 3 game series upcoming with the Twins. We'll be back on top the division Thursday around 10pm. Who with me?

The Twins are hot right now. And we are playing pretty bad baseball losing the last 3 series. This is not a good combination going into Minny. The key will be game 1 on tuesday. If we can win that one I think we can take 2 of 3 and gain a game. If we can't beat them and they win 2 of 3 or sweep us then its obvious they truly are the better team so we wouldn't deserve to win the division anyway.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
The worst part for me is watching the Twins get inevitably swept in the first round. They have absolutely no f***ing chance against any playoff team meanwhile if the sox could put their s*** together, our team would be scary in the playoffs.

This is a different Twins team. They have the pitching and hitting to go up against anyone.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
The worst part for me is watching the Twins get inevitably swept in the first round. They have absolutely no f***ing chance against any playoff team meanwhile if the sox could put their s*** together, our team would be scary in the playoffs.

Not necessarily.

I do think they need to get Morneau back, but if Liriano, Pavano and Duensing continue to pitch as well as they have since the ASB, there's a 50/50 chance they could knock off one of the AL East teams.

Their bullpen has been sturdy, kind of the "bend but don't break" defense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
Not necessarily.

I do think they need to get Morneau back, but if Liriano, Pavano and Duensing continue to pitch as well as they have since the ASB, there's a 50/50 chance they could knock off one of the AL East teams.

Their bullpen has been sturdy, kind of the "bend but don't break" defense.

Yeah if I were a fan of the Twins I would be quite confident with this particular roster going into the post season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
This is a different Twins team. They have the pitching and hitting to go up against anyone.

Looks like the same s*** to me, how many years we been saying "man this twins team is scary" then they get trounced in the playoffs. I'll take the Yakdeez or Rays over them any day

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
If you made it through the '94 strike, you'll be fine. Trust me. But yes, It's looking more and more like the true talent level of this team is finally coming to the forefront. Let's face it. That 26-5 run was not really this team. If the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays or a healthy Phillies team go on a run like that, you know it's legit.

I "made it" through the strike but only in the most literal sense, in that at some point in the past 16 years I started watching baseball again.

the sad part for me is that i'll continue to hold out hope for some reason that we'll be able to make up that 5-6 games that we'll be down by that time even though it looks like the month of September will be a nightmare for us

Sept 1- @ Cleveland

3-5 @ Boston

6-9th @ Detroit

10-12 vs KC

14-16 vs TWINKIES

17-19 vs Detroit

20-22 @ Oakland

24-26 @ Angels

27-30 vs Boston

tough month for us coming up...

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
Looks like the same s*** to me, how many years we been saying "man this twins team is scary" then they get trounced in the playoffs. I'll take the Yakdeez or Rays over them any day

This Twins team has more power and a true ace this time around in Liriano. Those Twins teams of the past depended on the likes of Nick Punto.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
The real good news is we have no excuses this Twins series. Our 2 best pitchers and a solid Buehrle are goin. No lost Garcia s***box game. Its up to the offense, Serg, Thorndog and Sale.

I am not worried about our starters at all. Im getting worried about the pen. The have been scuffling and losing leads late this past week. Putz the last 2 days and in Baltamore for example. We can't be losing these late leads going into the stretch here. . On a bright note Chris Sale has been looking really good!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
This Twins team has more power and a true ace this time around in Liriano. Those Twins teams of the past depended on the likes of Nick Punto.

Their offense is just a lot deeper.

They had two aces in Liriano and Santana in 2006, and it wasn't enough.

When Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones and Shannon Stewart are your offensive leaders, you're a bit thin.

Now with Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Young, Kubel and Thome, they have six sluggers to match any team, and then Hudson and Span are the table-setters. The 2002-04 and 06 teams didn't have anything resembling that offensive depth. JJ Hardy arguably is their worst offensive player, or Valencia, who has been hitting over .300 for most of the season since his recall.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
Their offense is just a lot deeper.

They had two aces in Liriano and Santana in 2006, and it wasn't enough.

When Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones and Shannon Stewart are your offensive leaders, you're a bit thin.

Now with Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Young, Kubel and Thome, they have six sluggers to match any team, and then Hudson and Span are the table-setters. The 2002-04 and 06 teams didn't have anything resembling that offensive depth. JJ Hardy arguably is their worst offensive player, or Valencia, who has been hitting over .300 for most of the season since his recall.

Liriano did not pitch in the playoffs in 2006. In fact, he pitched a total of 6 innings in August and September.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)

At this rate, I will be shocked if Morneau plays again this season.