JIM THOME!!!!!!!!

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
agreed. this should be moved or locked. it serves no real purpose except for people to whine about Thome not being signed which has been happening too much as it is.

The whining about not signing Thome is boring and redundant, but still relevant.

It was the story of the off-season, its shaping up as the story of the regular season, and it's likely to be a story in the post-season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:40 AM)
All I can say is I wish Ozzie had someone to turn to that could get a damn out in a save situation. Nothing can be done about Thome now. But Ozzie needs to find someone who can get an out in a save situation, and fast.

Agreed, that's 5 games we've lost in the last month that were blown in the last inning. That's more than many teams have all season.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
I want to throw up right now. That game was ours for the taking. The f*cking Konerko DP killed our chances to win the game. If you have to rely your setup man to go 3 seperate innings you know your pen is in shambles. The Twins own us and the division.

Did anyone else even think for a second that the inning wouldn't end that way? Even with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, I still felt pretty damn confident that the odds were much more in favor of the Twins getting out of it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Good call Ozzie.

It WAS a good call. What are the f***ing chances that Matt Thornton doesn't get Thome out.

Lord, the overreaction is ridiculous. You swing as hard as you can at everything, you'll run into one. This has just been our luck lately.

If they're going to lose like this, they might as well just end everyone's misery and get swept and let us go back to the way things were 2 1/2 months ago when we were trying to give KW some sort of direction or plan for next season.

I said it 10,000 times in the preseason, everyone did, take Jim Thome and Orlando Hudson (no Teahen move) off this team and put them on the White Sox and we're ahead of the Twins by 5-7 games and they've probably had to make a costly mid-season trade to replace Morneau as well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
It WAS a good call. What are the f***ing chances that Matt Thornton doesn't get Thome out.

Lord, the overreaction is ridiculous. You swing as hard as you can at everything, you'll run into one. This has just been our luck lately.

Thome fastball hitter,Thornton fastball pitcher working on 2+ innings.....NOT GOOD

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
I want to throw up right now. That game was ours for the taking. The f*cking Konerko DP killed our chances to win the game. If you have to rely your setup man to go 3 seperate innings you know your pen is in shambles. The Twins own us and the division.

Well we keep bunting late, and teams keep setting up the DP. The minute our manager gets over his love for the NL and stops wasting outs with bunting and running into them, the minute we might actually put a crooked number on the board. Teams in the AL put up multiple runs by hitting extra base hits and hitting home runs. Our team for some reason believes that runs can be scored only one at a time.

The overreaction is acceptable. You blew a HUGE game to the team your chasing for the division lead. That was a 2 game swing right there. You go from being truly back in it- to a team who will be in desperation mode these next 2 games.

Fresh out of the pen and throwin 98, Thornton hands down. A few innings in, velocity down. The matchup is more evenly matched.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
It's a season long disastrous move. Deserves to get talked about that long.

You might be right but it is not like there is anyone to argue against. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Thome would have been better than Kotsay so it's a pointless argument. The opening post in this thread makes it seem as if you are happy about that so you can rub it in everyone's face that Ozzie and Kenny made a mistake, everyone knows we should have signed him. It's pointless conversation at this point. .

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:47 AM)
the shame of it is, in the playoffs NY will put Cano about 50 ft into right field and Thome will ground out to him about 5 times and go hitless in three games

I really hope the Twins do well in the posteason so I don't have to read a lot of these comments on here about how Twins shouldn't be taken seriously cause they suck in postseason. I don't really care how they do in the postseason, because if they make the postseason, then they beat us in the standings and that's all that matters to me.

Lets not let KW off the hook. He was on The Club spewing nonsense about HRs not mattering as much anymore in this supposed new baseball landscape.

It wasnt just Ozzie forcing his hand on this. KW had opportunities to get Thome....Branyan, Cust etc.

He got Pierre and bought into this no power/no walks nonsense as well.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:47 AM)
Thornton was at 15 pitches there. It was perfectly ok to go with him there. Certainly we would have probably turned to Putz had he not imploded against Detroit, but Matt should have been able to get it done there. He just didn't.

Those top of 9th and 10th were extremely long innings though. I remarked in the game thread that the first pitch to start the 10th was only 92 mph to Young.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
I really hope the Twins do well in the posteason so I don't have to read a lot of these comments on here about how Twins shouldn't be taken seriously cause they suck in postseason. I don't really care how they do in the postseason, because if they make the postseason, then they beat us in the standings and that's all that matters to me.

well, I'm with you, and after I got over my bitterness last season I was pulling hard for them too, but........they do what they do when it's not us...

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:47 AM)
the shame of it is, in the playoffs NY will put Cano about 50 ft into right field and Thome will ground out to him about 5 times and go hitless in three games

That's exactly what's going to happen. We are cursed vs. the Twins ... still.

When it will end? Who knows?

I just wish Minnesota would win the World Series and get it over with so maybe our team and other teams would be fired up to beat their ass.

They continue to beat us in every which way, every day.