JIM THOME!!!!!!!!

Buehrle>Wood

I'm still laughing at Ranger's comment that the Twins' pitching is not comparable to ours.

It happened to Floyd, now to Danks, our two best pitchers this season, they both wet the bed in huge games, let's face it and be honest.

Now we have to deal with Liriano and Pavano with Putz or Santos as our closer. Not the greatest of odds.

Also, now 4-20 against the Twins in 08/09/10 second half play. Yes, that's 1 out of 6 ballgames played, a cool .167 winning percentage.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
But a portion of those games have been in really low scoring games (ie: Saturday's game and the extra inning game in Seattle). A better DH could have led to more runs, and thus more insurance for our pitchers.

The Sox had that problem last year and they had Thome.

This team needs more than Thome, Pujols, Dunn, Mantle and Ruth if the bullpen keeps failing. Isn't this the 4th time the pen couldn't finish?

Not dissing Kotsay, just pointing out that we dissed Thome by not re-signing a 1st round HOF'er AND a great clubhouse guy who wanted to come back for next to nothing. $1.5 million! And he ends up with the Twins, one of MLB's thriftiest organizations.! That's your first clue.

Management then continues to dis him on "The Club".

So, he will likely continue to strike out or GIDP against any team other than the Sox, while beating us repeatedly until the karmic debt is paid.

Come on, sports fans, you've all seen this happen before.

QUOTE (11and1 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
Not dissing Kotsay, just pointing out that we dissed Thome by not re-signing a 1st round HOF'er AND a great clubhouse guy who wanted to come back for next to nothing. $1.5 million! And he ends up with the Twins, one of MLB's thriftiest organizations.! That's your first clue.

Management then continues to dis him on "The Club".

So, he will likely continue to strike out or GIDP against any team other than the Sox, while beating us repeatedly until the karmic debt is paid.

Come on, sports fans, you've all seen this happen before.

There's no way of knowing Thome would put up those same numbers with the Sox. Some guys play better for other organizations. Swisher isn't the same suck player for the Yankees.

Jenks the final game up in Minnie after the break

Jenks in Seattle when we took the lead in extra innings

The Sunday game in DET we blew but somehow managed to come back and win

Two more against DET (Putz)

One more against MIN (Thornton)

That's a four game swing in the standings against the ALCD alone...in one month, when most teams will take 4-6 months to accomplish the same.

The Twins lost 14 games to us, we've lost 8 1/2 back and falling like a lead balloon.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:38 AM)
There's no way of knowing Thome would put up those same numbers with the Sox. Some guys play better for other organizations. Swisher isn't the same suck player for the Yankees.

Well, can we get our players to perform better then?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:41 AM)
What a killer....what an absolute killer this is...sometimes I wish I would have chosen soap operas instead of sports...

This is a 6 out of 10 for me on the frustration scale. The Sunday game after the ASB, where Jenks blew it, was a 10 out of 10.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Well, can we get our players to perform better then?

I don't know. These type of performances the Sox put out against the Twins haven't changed even when they had Manuel, Maggs and Frank.

I guess the Twins save their best for the Sox and can't match in October.

They only option that would work is put the Sox in NL. They don't have to face the Twins and would only have to face the AL East when it counts is in the WS or put the Twins in the NL.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:43 AM)
DO you take the over or the under of 11 K's for Liriano tomorrow?

Under...you figure he'll pitch 7 innings, so there's 21 outs there. Pierre will have at least one bunt out, and make contact at least in one other AB. There's 19 outs. Rios will hit into 2 double plays, so there's 15 outs remaining. I would predict maybe 8 K?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
This is a 6 out of 10 for me on the frustration scale. The Sunday game after the ASB, where Jenks blew it, was a 10 out of 10.

Well, you know me...I am a pretty big optimist....but these losses start cumulatively wearing on me...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
Well, you know me...I am a pretty big optimist....but these losses start cumulatively wearing on me...

Coming out of the ASB, winning 25 of 30, I really felt like maybe this team had put it all together and could put together a strong run during the 2nd half and outlast Tigers/Twins. So much negative has taken place since then, it really felt like to me coming into the game tonight that the Twins are the stronger team, and were in the driver's seat to win the AL Central.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Coming out of the ASB, winning 25 of 30, I really felt like maybe this team had put it all together and could put together a strong run during the 2nd half and outlast Tigers/Twins. So much negative has taken place since then, it really felt like to me coming into the game tonight that the Twins are the stronger team, and were in the driver's seat to win the AL Central.

Yeah, tough to say. Danks just really can't seem to keep his s*** together versus the Twins in the early innings. He often settles down eventually, but how many times does he struggle mightily in the first few innings againstt them? Always puts us in a huge hole from the get-go. Should have anticipated that tonight I guess.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:53 AM)
Yeah, tough to say. Danks just really can't seem to keep his s*** together versus the Twins in the early innings. He often settles down eventually, but how many times does he struggle mightily in the first few innings againstt them? Always puts us in a huge hole from the get-go. Should have anticipated that tonight I guess.

It is unreal how Danks seems to have the same game every time he pitches in Minnesota.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
It is unreal how Danks seems to have the same game every time he pitches in Minnesota.

Shame too... In a weak AL Cy Young race, he might be costing himself (for better or worse with our sox and negotiations) the chance of a Cy Young this year (especially with wins which sadly most voters look at and position of team). Might be good to be Trevor Cahill, David Price or Jon Lester right now (poor King Felix) and Cliff Lee is in the NL now.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Shame too... In a weak AL Cy Young race, he might be costing himself (for better or worse with our sox and negotiations) the chance of a Cy Young this year (especially with wins which sadly most voters look at and position of team). Might be good to be David Price right now (poor King Felix) and Cliff Lee is in the NL now.

Maybe so, but John Danks is no Cy Young award winner yet.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
I don't know. These type of performances the Sox put out against the Twins haven't changed even when they had Manuel, Maggs and Frank.

I guess the Twins save their best for the Sox and can't match in October.

They only option that would work is put the Sox in NL. They don't have to face the Twins and would only have to face the AL East when it counts is in the WS or put the Twins in the NL.

When we had Maggs and Frank we had a horses*** pitching staff and a horses*** defense. Moving to the NL for inferior baseball is a dumb. You want to beat the twins.

1.) Spend money on the draft and the international signing period. We spent less on bonus money this year than any other team. A team that has such a bad minor league system shouldnt worry about slot right now. Invest in the best talent possible to use for reinforcements or trade.

2.) Instruct players in the minors on how to play fundamental baseball. We promote flawed players all the time. See Jordan Danks. A player who's strikeout numbers in AA told a story that he needed some more time to cook. The twins instruct their players how to play fundamental aggressive baseball with the same message at all levels.

3.) Invest your money wisely. No 4 year deals for Linebrinks. No using your best trading chits for things that are short sided. Think with a single organizational philosophy. Sure I want to win the world series every year. But it isnt reality.

4.) You are in the American League. Make sure that the DH is actually someone who can hit. Your park plays for homers, make sure that you have guys who can do that.

5.) Ozzieproof the lineup, or ditch Ozzie. You cannot have crapy grindy players anywhere near this lineup. He will overuse them in the spirit of flexibility.

6.) Tell the players that sure its cold in April and May, but the meal money isnt as good in Charolette. So tanking the first two months of the season because your peter crawled up and hid doesnt work. Wear a jacket or a sweater.

7.) Try and prepare your players for the grind of the season. Having guys who piss down their leg year in and year out is sad. The twinks down piss down their leg. They bring kids up and they just plug in. We need to figure that out, and mimick it.

The twins are a dangerous team right now. They have the minor league system and now a financial backing to build a dynasty. We need to rethink our approach. Because the slap a few retreads and pray on the futility of the division isnt going to work.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Shame too... In a weak AL Cy Young race, he might be costing himself (for better or worse with our sox and negotiations) the chance of a Cy Young this year (especially with wins which sadly most voters look at and position of team). Might be good to be Trevor Cahill, David Price or Jon Lester right now (poor King Felix) and Cliff Lee is in the NL now.

Too much bourbon?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Too much bourbon?

My bad.... totally forgot he was traded to Texas. (still in Phillies Jersey thinking when that is Doc) Ya he's been the sickest one. It's his to lose.

Edited by J.Reedfan8