Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
When did I say he's getting it worse than he deserves? No really, tell me when I said that.

I said he shouldn't be fired like some people have suggested. I agree that he has to serve his penalty. He broke the rules. I've never denied that. But I will never say it was something he should be fired for.

Edit: I'm assuming here that even though you quoted nightni, you must have known his post was sarcastic, and therefore, are directing that 2nd comment at me.

Your comment about Jay Bilas just screams that Pearl is a victim of the media. He's really not. He should have been fired, and I dunno any reasonable person who disagrees. Programs have been given the death penalty for lying to the NCAA. So far he's gotten what, 7 games from the SEC? If the NCAA comes down hard on him, and Tennessee basically did nothing but reduce his salary by like 10% and take away some phone calls, that just means they've enabled him. They should have taken a stand and said "we don't deal with liars and cheats." But of course they didn't, and that speaks of the administration down there (See also the football program).

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
Your comment about Jay Bilas just screams that Pearl is a victim of the media. He's really not. He should have been fired, and I dunno any reasonable person who disagrees. Programs have been given the death penalty for lying to the NCAA. So far he's gotten what, 7 games from the SEC? If the NCAA comes down hard on him, and Tennessee basically did nothing but reduce his salary by like 10% and take away some phone calls, that just means they've enabled him. They should have taken a stand and said "we don't deal with liars and cheats." But of course they didn't, and that speaks of the administration down there (See also the football program).

I just like that someone actually stuck up for the guy for once. The cool thing to do seems to bash the heck out of him every time we're on TV, etc. No one ever points out the good things Pearl does for both the community and the university. Pearl does so many charitable things, but everyone wants to focus on this one, bad mistake he made. Of course, that's how the media is these days. The bad stuff sells. I'm not sure I'd call him a "victim" b/c when you mess up these days, you should expect it. But many in the media seem to care too much about this situation. This was an issue when it came out 6 months ago. The university is not firing him and that's that. Move on.

Anyway, as far as penalties:

1) 7 games from SEC? - It's actually 8 (and you can expect more from the NCAA)

2) Reduce his salary by 10% - It was actually reduced by 50% for 3 years. That's pretty significant.

3) Take away some phone calls - Um, he can't leave campus to recruit for a year. He can't make any phone calls, travel to any games, make in-home visits, etc.

That's all pretty harsh considering those are the self-imposed penalties (#2 & 3) and the SEC penalty (#1) so far. You can be sure the NCAA will come down the hardest, so I'd say when it's all said and done, he'll be very heavily penalized.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
I just like that someone actually stuck up for the guy for once. The cool thing to do seems to bash the heck out of him every time we're on TV, etc. No one ever points out the good things Pearl does for both the community and the university. Pearl does so many charitable things, but everyone wants to focus on this one, bad mistake he made. Of course, that's how the media is these days. The bad stuff sells. I'm not sure I'd call him a "victim" b/c when you mess up these days, you should expect it. But many in the media seem to care too much about this situation. This was an issue when it came out 6 months ago. The university is not firing him and that's that. Move on.

Anyway, as far as penalties:

1) 7 games from SEC? - It's actually 8 (and you can expect more from the NCAA)

2) Reduce his salary by 10% - It was actually reduced by 50% for 3 years. That's pretty significant.

3) Take away some phone calls - Um, he can't leave campus to recruit for a year. He can't make any phone calls, travel to any games, make in-home visits, etc.

That's all pretty harsh considering those are the self-imposed penalties (#2 & 3) and the SEC penalty (#1) so far. You can be sure the NCAA will come down the hardest, so I'd say when it's all said and done, he'll be very heavily penalized.

Wow, take off the orange tinted goggles man. His penalties were not harsh in the least bit. Reduce a millionaire's salary to a millionaire's salary. Big whoop. 8 games from the SEC, that's not much at all. He can't leave campus to recruit. Don't mean he can't have his assistants do it for him. And I'm sure he'll try to bypass the laws by having his assistant call him when visiting a recruit and putting him on speakerphone. Then, you get no phone records. Tennessee's program should be placed on probation for him knowingly breaking the rules and for lying to the NCAA.

And trust me, every college coach does charity work and all that jazz. It's part of representing their university. I've never seen a big program allow their coaches to recruit and do nothing else in the community or for the university, so you can kill that noise.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Dear God, Iowa is an AWFUL second half team.

I loooooove Scott Christopherson. Drops 30, 24 in the second half. Bet Tom Crean would have liked him to follow to Indiana.

Big road win for Iowa State, I know Iowa is awful, but a big win for a team so young.

ISU at 9-2 right now. UNI was a game they should have won. Their remaining schedule OOC is...

vs Dartmouth

vs Chicago State

@ Virginia

vs NIU

They should really win 3 of those without question, leaving UVA as the question mark. Even if they lose that one, then they go into the 16 game Big 12 schedule with a 12-3 mark. If they can actually beat UVA, which is a long shot, that's 13-2 OOC.

In conference they get to play Nebraska and Colorado twice each so that's nice, but they also have to play KU, KSU and Mizzou twice each. And they play the south dvision once each.

20-11 in the Big 12 gets you an NCAA bid every year, 19-12 puts you on the bubble, 18-13 or 17-14 probably means NIT. so if ISU can pull off a .500 record in the in-conference season, or even maybe 7-9, they should go to the tourney. If they can do that, considering how poorly most people thought the team would do based on talent, I'd say that's a big win for Freddy and the Cyclones in getting back the strength of their program.

ETA: They need to get some bigger OOC names on their schedule the next couple years. The only teams they played that weren't complete garbage are Iowa (who is close), Creighton, Cal and Virginia. Maybe UNI. They need 1-2 more good teams in there, at least.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't see us winning more than 4 in conference.

I'm betting 6-10 in conference. 5 games they should win on paper, let's say they drop one, that's 4. Add two upsets of the remaining 11 games, which is typical, that's 6 wins. Anything more is a bonus.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm betting 6-10 in conference. 5 games they should win on paper, let's say they drop one, that's 4. Add two upsets of the remaining 11 games, which is typical, that's 6 wins. Anything more is a bonus.

Who knows. It's a tough team to read.

All I know is this team is INFINITELY more fun to watch.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Who knows. It's a tough team to read.

All I know is this team is INFINITELY more fun to watch.

The current stretch of 4 seasons without an NCAA tourney berth is the longest that ISU has had since the early 80's (1981-1984 to be exact). If Hoiberg can pull that rabbit out of his hat, or even just get an NIT berth, I think that's a big step in the right direction that will help his recruiting to get the program back on track.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
In 10 years, people will look back on college basketball uniforms and realize how ridiculously stupid these tight tops and gigantic shorts look.

That is what people said in the 90's when Michigan and Arkansas started it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)

Are you serious? These shorts right now are way more ridiculous. The Fab Five still had them at knee-length. Look at schools like OSU, Syracuse and Memphis.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)

They still had baggy tops back then, nothing like the tight Nike ones now.

However UM started the black sock look in College bball, and people hated on that pretty hard.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
They still had baggy tops back then, nothing like the tight Nike ones now.

However UM started the black sock look in College bball, and people hated on that pretty hard.

Always loved the black sock look. Looked fantastic and still does. In fact, I hate the white sock with black shoes look. Now that looks awful.

I digress. The new fad nowadays looks pretty awful. The worse is the patterns on the trim of each uniform having like three different colors. It's hard to describe without a picture, but it looks ridiculously ugly.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
Always loved the black sock look. Looked fantastic and still does. In fact, I hate the white sock with black shoes look. Now that looks awful.

I digress. The new fad nowadays looks pretty awful. The worse is the patterns on the trim of each uniform having like three different colors. It's hard to describe without a picture, but it looks ridiculously ugly.

This? 619944.jpg

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)

Agreed. I always wore black socks/black cleats when playing lacrosse and football.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)

The media hated on the black socks pretty hard, its pretty much all I wore playing bball growing up. I think all of us loved the Fab Five in some way or another. The ridiculously long shorts are dumb these days though, really dumb.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
Oakland has been giving teams trouble.

Illinois and MSU had to play them tough, they must have something.

Oakland is a solid team but they actually played Purdue tougher than Illinois. Illinois outscored them by 20 with a mens ball and that game was never in doubt for most of the 2nd half.

Im fully aware, you can read my comments on the game in this thread.

The game was closer than you would expect at Illinois. You cant hold it against Illinois that there was the wrong ball, but you cant definitively know what would have happened had the right ball been used the entire time. Illinois had to play Oakland tough to win, I stand by my statement.

More was pointing out that the Illinois and MSU wins look better.