Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Does Illinois look good or just good enough? I'm relying on the gamecast which doesn't show much other than the score.

I won't venture an opinion, except to say that I can't remember a team so unable to play with a lead in the second half. Does Weber actually change the offense down the stretch of games like that? If so, he should stop doing that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
Hmm, didn't know that Erik Spoelstra coached the Illinois offense too.

Bruce Weber is a pretty mediocre coach after all. Illinois is definitely on the bubble now.

Just fire Weber and bring in Chris Collins from Duke. I am sick of Weber's offenses scoring five points in the last 10 minutes of games. He will now blame the team for a lack of heart, grit, etc. in the media interviews. Instead, he should blame himself for being a s***ty coach who can't close.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I got crushed for this last time and he had a fantastic game so I'll probably get crushed again, but which of Sullinger's skills translate to the pros? I see most of his college dominance coming from a size advantage. What does he do that will still work against NBA bigs?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
I got crushed for this last time and he had a fantastic game so I'll probably get crushed again, but which of Sullinger's skills translate to the pros? I see most of his college dominance coming from a size advantage. What does he do that will still work against NBA bigs?

It's not his height, it's the size of his ass. He also has a good midrange game he hasn't shown in college. He's also a very good rebounder. He'll be a good PF in the NBA but not a star. Could be a 20-10 type of guy at his peak Elton Brand-esque.

Consequently Brands draft was about as weak as this one will be.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Bruce Weber is a pretty mediocre coach after all. Illinois is definitely on the bubble now.

Just fire Weber and bring in Chris Collins from Duke. I am sick of Weber's offenses scoring five points in the last 10 minutes of games. He will now blame the team for a lack of heart, grit, etc. in the media interviews. Instead, he should blame himself for being a s***ty coach who can't close.

No thanks on Collins. Duke assistants have pretty much sucked at other programs and I would rather go after a guy who has done a good job as a head coach elsewhere. Think big and offer Anthony Grant a monster contract to try to pry him from Alabama.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
It's not his height, it's the size of his ass. He also has a good midrange game he hasn't shown in college. He's also a very good rebounder. He'll be a good PF in the NBA but not a star. Could be a 20-10 type of guy at his peak Elton Brand-esque.

Consequently Brands draft was about as weak as this one will be.

I honestly think he'll be a reincarnated version of Mike Sweetney. Can be solid in spurts, but not a real good player overall. I think he will stick in the league longer, but I just don't foresee a great career. Who knows maybe he'll be DeJuan Blair?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
Sullinger's best case scenario is Elton Brand. Unless he can some how become a Charles Barkley, Sullinger's impact is going to be limited as he isnt that tall and he wont get 10+ ft's a game in the pros.

He should have had 25 of them today, he'll get a lot of them in the pros, but certainly there will be alot more jump shot opportunities. He's almost the exact same size as Brand was in the NBA right now, and it took him 2 years in school to come out.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
I honestly think he'll be a reincarnated version of Mike Sweetney. Can be solid in spurts, but not a real good player overall. I think he will stick in the league longer, but I just don't foresee a great career. Who knows maybe he'll be DeJuan Blair?

Come on, Sullinger is better now than Sweetney was after 3 years in school.

Dejuan Blair? Come on. Sullinger is taller, has a larger wingspan, shoots the ball better and does it all as a freshman. Blair was an 11 point guy as a frosh.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
No thanks on Collins. Duke assistants have pretty much sucked at other programs and I would rather go after a guy who has done a good job as a head coach elsewhere. Think big and offer Anthony Grant a monster contract to try to pry him from Alabama.

I don't even know if he would leave for Illinois. It's not what it once was. Illinois' best bet is a mid-major coach with success.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Come on, Sullinger is better now than Sweetney was after 3 years in school.

You just can't do what he does in college and be successful in the NBA. Sweetney was a bad comp, I recalled him being better. But I just think he'll be a productive bench player rather than starter. He will be just so unathletic compared to NBA bigs that I think it will be difficult for to have starting success.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
I don't even know if he would leave for Illinois. It's not what it once was. Illinois' best bet is a mid-major coach with success.

Illinois is a much better job and Grant would be walking into a really good situation talent wise with the 2011 class and the current freshmen and sophomores.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
You just can't do what he does in college and be successful in the NBA. Sweetney was a bad comp, I recalled him being better. But I just think he'll be a productive bench player rather than starter. He will be just so unathletic compared to NBA bigs that I think it will be difficult for to have starting success.

What does unathletic mean? He has NBA footwork right now as a freshman in college. He has probably the best hands for a post player in the country. A post player with his size doesn't need to jump out of the gym, especially with superior technique. That's why he is rated so highly by experts and NBA scouts.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)

Sean May.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Illinois is a much better job and Grant would be walking into a really good situation talent wise with the 2011 class and the current freshmen and sophomores.

I am a die-hard Illinois fan, and I have a hard time buying Illinois is "a much better job." Illinois is an average Big Ten basketball school right now and has been since 2006. Grant has spent his entire career in/near the south coaching, I don't know if he really would be willing to come to cornfield, Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)

Grant wants 3 million a year to leave Alabama (makes 1.8 now) and won't sign a clause saying he won't leave for Florida. Don't forget that Donovan's contract stated he couldn't leave for the NBA for 5 years after the debacle a few years ago, so Donovan might be looking to go to the NBA soon.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)

Let's be honest, there's no much of a chance of Weber getting canned.