How can anyone...

typewritermender

Great post caufield. I respect your posts.

My major beef is this is not an issue anywhere besides this message board.

Regular fans think Ozzie is fine. We are 16 f***ing games over .500 and just swept Boston on the road and some people are wanting him fired NOW.

It is totally insane and is a MESSAGE BOARD PHENOMENON.

It just is.

It's ridiculous. He is a good manager.

As proof of this I'll ask "Where is Rongey?"

Me thinks he realizes we all are insane, f***ing insane and has left.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)

Regular fans think Ozzie is fine. We are 16 f***ing games over .500 and just swept Boston on the road and some people are wanting him fired NOW.

It just is.

He went through some personal things and kind of shut down for a while.

Martinez was a very weak 0-3 vs MB in the game up until that point.. is it really Ozzies fault that on a 3-1 count MB hung one? I get that Martinez has been great against lefties this season but MB was pitching a pretty good game and had been handling Martinez all day..

And while I can understand some frustrations with Ozzie he still has 2 division titles, a world series, and in contention for a third division title.. and considering our success (or lack there of) before Ozzie took over I don't get all the pro fire Ozzie people we have here..

Where does Ozzie get credit? He has to be doing something right, but it seems that he never does anything right according to the majority of the board..

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)
Martinez was a very weak 0-3 vs MB in the game up until that point.. is it really Ozzies fault that on a 3-1 count MB hung one? I get that Martinez has been great against lefties this season but MB was pitching a pretty good game and had been handling Martinez all day..

And while I can understand some frustrations with Ozzie he still has 2 division titles, a world series, and in contention for a third division title.. and considering our success (or lack there of) before Ozzie took over I don't get all the pro fire Ozzie people we have here..

Where does Ozzie get credit? He has to be doing something right, but it seems that he never does anything right according to the majority of the board..

Good post, Tru. I will never stop supporting Ozzie. So until they ban me he has a supporter here.

Starting Mark Kotsay in a must-win game in Boston (where he also sucked) when he has plenty of talent on the bench against Josh Beckett. I JUST DON'T GET IT. That was a lucky win...

Call the bullpen, warm-up Robin Ventura to take over this team.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 07:11 AM)
Starting Mark Kotsay in a must-win game in Boston (where he also sucked) when he has plenty of talent on the bench against Josh Beckett. I JUST DON'T GET IT. That was a lucky win...

Call the bullpen, warm-up Robin Ventura to take over this team.

As critical as I am of Ozzie, that was a forced situation, because Paulie couldn't play 1st Sunday (heck, he couldn't hit late in the game, and he's out today).

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
As critical as I am of Ozzie, that was a forced situation, because Paulie couldn't play 1st Sunday (heck, he couldn't hit late in the game, and he's out today).

Why would he DH a guy that was having back issues? Isn't he normally over cautious with banged up guys?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Why would he DH a guy that was having back issues? Isn't he normally over cautious with banged up guys?

Because he's the team's best hitter. I can't judge too much on issues like rest and how banged up guys are, because I don't have that info.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
Thome wouldn't have played 162 games as DH so Paulie easily could have gotten those days of rest even with thome on the roster and we wouldn't have had to have the kotsay experiment.

If Thome was on the Opening Day roster instead of Kotsay, then who plays first when Konerko gets a "half day" off as DH or a full day off?

First base is a very important defensive position.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
If Thome was on the Opening Day roster instead of Kotsay, then who plays first when Konerko gets a "half day" off as DH or a full day off?

Kotsay would be the 1b backup that would play every 10 games or so and be the left handed PH bat off the bench. That's all he's good for at this stage in his career but we decided to make him a 5 games/week type player and of course he failed.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
Kotsay would be the 1b backup that would play every 10 games or so and be the left handed PH bat off the bench. That's all he's good for at this stage in his career but we decided to make him a 5 games/week type player and of course he failed.

This is what I thought he'd be doing when he was brought back and I had no problem with it at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 02:50 AM)

It just is.

Greg you're speaking for hypothetical Sox fans you don't know. You think Soxtalk is rough? I think you'd be surprised to find what "regular Sox fans" think (I don't know why Soxtalk doesn't xount anyway) if you just started talking to random fans. They don't all think the same thing, and this love affair with Ozzie is kind of imaginary. Some love him some are sick of him and some don't care that much. Just like here.

This. There seems to be a lot of revisionism about what exactly people were arguing in april. Having Jim Thome on the team would have no adverse impact on Paul Konerkos MVP-contending season, it probably would have helped his numbers having a man on base in front of him more often.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Greg you're speaking for hypothetical Sox fans you don't know. You think Soxtalk is rough? I think you'd be surprised to find what "regular Sox fans" think (I don't know why Soxtalk doesn't xount anyway) if you just started talking to random fans. They don't all think the same thing, and this love affair with Ozzie is kind of imaginary. Some love him some are sick of him and some don't care that much. Just like here.

Also acting as if Rongey was somehow a voice of reason. He was the voice of the sox front office, that's it.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
Because he's the team's best hitter. I can't judge too much on issues like rest and how banged up guys are, because I don't have that info.

In other words, you don't second guess every single thing when you don't pretend to have the correct information at your disposal to base an opinion.

Good for you.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)

I think most fans as you say, "don't care that much."

I think when a team is 15 over .500, that's the bottom line to most on whether somebody is doing

a good job or not. Maybe not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
There's no defending his managing today. Leaving Buehrle in to face VMart was one of the worst managerial decisions of Ozzie's career.

I was bad and you could see Ozzie knew it, but somethimes you take that risk with your ace

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
This is what I thought he'd be doing when he was brought back and I had no problem with it at all.

You guys wanted to keep Kotsay (but play him less) and add Thome? It's a 25 man roster, not 26. Who do you throw off the 25 man lifeboat?

We started the season with 12 pitchers and 8 starters in the field, leaving 5 backup fielders plus the DH. Castro backs up AJ, so that's one backup. Which of Vizquel, Nix or Jones would you have dropped to add Thome and keep Kotsay? If you drop Nix you have only 1 backup 3B-SS-2B. If you drop Jones you have only 1 real backup OF.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
You guys wanted to keep Kotsay (but play him less) and add Thome? It's a 25 man roster, not 26. Who do you throw off the 25 man lifeboat?

We started the season with 12 pitchers and 8 starters in the field, leaving 5 backup fielders plus the DH. Castro backs up AJ, so that's one backup. Which of Vizquel, Nix or Jones would you have dropped to add Thome and keep Kotsay? If you drop Nix you have only 1 backup 3B-SS-2B. If you drop Jones you have only 1 real backup OF.

When he was brought back I had no idea what the final roster was going to look like. Obviously had I known this was a straight-up choice between Kotsay and Thome I would've said Thome. I really didn't think we were actually going to go into the season with that roster and that Ozzie really intended to give Kotsay 300-400 at bats.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
When he was brought back I had no idea what the final roster was going to look like. Obviously had I known this was a straight-up choice between Kotsay and Thome I would've said Thome. I really didn't think we were actually going to go into the season with that roster and that Ozzie really intended to give Kotsay 300-400 at bats.

If you pick Thome over Kotsay, then you relegate Paulie to playing 162 games at first, or putting Teahen at first. Both have had issues with tiredness or minor/major injuries. Injuries and tiredness happen, and that's what Ozzie and KW had to factor in while constructing a 25 man roster to play 132 games (until Sept 1, when the active roster expands to 40). KW and Ozzie got us to Sept 1 in 2nd place, 3 games back of the Twins in the loss column, and now we have our full-time "DH-only" guy (and Manny Ramirez no less), so I don't understand the intense flaming Ozzie is receiving.