Tea Party

Texsox

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are Tea Party candidates and followers . . .

• Bandwagon jumpers for personal gain
    • Fashionistas riding the newest wave
    • Racists with a legit cover
    • Within the norm of conservatives
    • Just outside the norm of conservatives
    • fringe group
    • Patriotic Americans
    • The smart ones around us
    • Too many choices
    • Bacon!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm sure when my kid is a teenager, I will encourage them to get involved. Before then, yeah, its a little creepy to have them out there holding signs saying something they don't even understand. Its manipulative.

lol at that "I'm about to lose my dollhouse" sign. What in the f***. What does President Obama have to do with you having negative equity anyway? I'm under by about the same amount but you don't see me marching on the steps of the Capitol holding angry signs about it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
lol at that "I'm about to lose my dollhouse" sign. What in the f***. What does President Obama have to do with you having negative equity anyway? I'm under by about the same amount but you don't see me marching on the steps of the Capitol holding angry signs about it.

Well, frankly the HAMP program has been an abject disaster, probably the single worst policy thing they've done since taking office. A whole lot of people are stuck in negative equity foreclosure situations still paying money on the mortgage while the bank tries to sell the house because of that program.

(Somehow I doubt it was directed at that program though).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Well, frankly the HAMP program has been an abject disaster, probably the single worst policy thing they've done since taking office. A whole lot of people are stuck in negative equity foreclosure situations still paying money on the mortgage while the bank tries to sell the house because of that program.

I think where I was going with that is if you're b****ing at President Obama about your negative equity situation then presumably you want the government to get involved with a heavy-handed response... a Tea Party rally is not the appropriate place to be trying to make that argument. That is, if I understand anything at all about Tea Party rallies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)

and the thing that no politician is willing to say, but is very true, is that a significant percentage of those people got themselves into this situation. It wasn't Obama or Bush that did it to them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
and the thing that no politician is willing to say, but is very true, is that a significant percentage of those people got themselves into this situation. It wasn't Obama or Bush that did it to them.

However...it certainly is true that a significant percentage of them (not necessarily a majority, but a very good chunk) were totally screwed by the bank/financial institution they were dealing with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
However...it certainly is true that a significant percentage of them (not necessarily a majority, but a very good chunk) were totally screwed by the bank/financial institution they were dealing with.

No doubt.

Best defense for this? A combination of laws forcing banks away from deceptive practices (which are being done, partially), AND, requiring that no person in this country graduate high school without a basic course in finance. I mean like, knowing what a mortgage is and how it works, what kinds of investments there are, risk/reward, that sort of thing. The sort of thing that a scary-big chunk of this country doesn't seem to know.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
and all of their view points aren't crazy.

I just enjoy seeing people who pay the least amount in taxes, 10-20% brackets, (personal income, property, sales, etc) out there screaming about how their taxes are too high.

So you are just assuming that tea party people are un-educated poor people? I'm glad you threw some fact into the party. How about next time you make a post you post something of value instead of generalist shots with no legitimacy shot at a group of people supported by various people in this country (including posters that post on tihs board). Thus as far as I'm concerned, your post does construe a personal attack.

And this type of s*** needs to stop or there will be some mass bannings/suspensions handed out to people that participate in this forum.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
I get to be Balta and make a completely unreasonable connection:

"So, you're saying all people with money and power are evil?"

Another example of a not ok post. It cleary is a personal attack at another individual.

Consider this thread a microcosm of this forum and I'm issuing a mass warning to everyone that particaptes within filabuster that they will have to shape up and stay away from personal attacks and mass generalizations which I will construe as personal attacks.

If posters will not, they will be on a strict 3 strikes and your out policy (meaning, 1st 2 times you'll see hefty suspensions, 3rd time you'll be banned from filabuster for a 6 month period). The bulls*** that goes on here will come to a stop and come to a stop quickly. If not, this specific forum (Filabuster) is going to be one inactive place with a s***-ton of suspended users.

I mean, no offense man, but this kind of strict policy is just going to kill debate in here, which is nearly dead anyway.

I think posters can handle themselves. I don't see any of the above posts as being "personal" attacks. My post specifically re Balta, I'm sure, was not taken by him as a PERSONAL attack, but rather an attack on his way of arguing/responding in other posts. He and I have had a back and forth enough to know that.

Strange:

We have had a lot of issues recently related to disrespect leveled at other posters and other posts within this forum. We want to keep this forum, but we want to make sure that it is a place where people are treated respectfully and we can actually have a conversation without it devolving into the internet nastiness that a lot of other forums feature in political discussion.